Old May 8, 2000, 06:09   #1
Oldman
Prince

Local Time: 00:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Scenario Creation - Basics?
I've been playing Civ2 for donkey's years, but never got around to making my own scenario, so now i am So just a couple of Q's...

Is there an easy way to which resources you want where you want? Related - how the the "resource seed" numbering work?

How do you get the civs you want on the map? ie, seven that you choose, not that the computer chooses? 'cause i couldn't get that working last night?

Is there anything else i might get stuck with once i've got my map, resources and civs located?

If there is an FAQ or thread covering this, could you redirect me - sorry!!!

Cheers,

Edited to get those Damn Smilies right!!!
[This message has been edited by Oldman (edited May 08, 2000).]
Old May 8, 2000, 08:14   #2
Michael Daumen
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 19:06
Local Date: October 30, 2010
You are right, the resource seed is your key. When you make the map, set a number for the seed over 1 (leaving at as a 1 will generate a randon pattern of resources each time you start a game with that map). Take a look at your resources, and if you like it, save the map and you're off! Just remember NOT to reset resources when asked about it in the regular game. If you don't like the resource placement, just set a new number. I imagine the numbers go to 255. And remember that if you don't like a resource where it is you can always change the underlying terrain square.

To pick your own opponents, check the relevant box in the custom rules section. If you have a round map you may miss this menu altogether.
Old May 8, 2000, 08:15   #3
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:06
At http://sleague.apolyton.net/ you can find a number of guides for easy scenario building. If something is unclear or your questions aren't answered after consulting, the people there will love to help you (including me ).

------------------
Follow the masses!
30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Our survival is based on continouus changing.
-Mao Tse-Tung
God might have created us as equals, but democracy and science pretty
much screwed that whole idea..
-Onepaul

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
[This message has been edited by Stefan Härtel (edited May 08, 2000).]
Old May 8, 2000, 08:35   #4
Oldman
Prince

Cheers guys!! Do you happen to know if the resource seed numbers follow a pattern? i fiddled about with them, but they still kept everything in groups , like a band of whales at the south, then a band of fish, band of whales and a line of fish at the north!!! is there a more useful (mixed) resource seed? Thanks again!!

After thought: With choosing your own civs, i tried checking the relavant box, and it did give me a choice! but only a choice of 3 for each civ, and 1/2 the time the choice of 3 weren't what i wanted!?!?
[This message has been edited by Oldman (edited May 08, 2000).]
Old May 8, 2000, 09:08   #5
Michael Daumen
Prince

The computer will only let you select one nation from each color group (just like you can have only one tribe of each color in the game). I would also start with 7 civs so that way a choice from each color is guaranteed (you can always destroy the civs you don't want, andt believe me, it's easier to have extra civs around than to realize you need a new one after your scenario is 95% done . . . ask Nemo).
Old May 8, 2000, 11:24   #6
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 20:06
As far as I know, there only way to create a civilization mid-game is to conquer an enemy capital. This will force the computer to automatically generate a civilization, based randomly on A) which colors have not yet been used eg white, and B) which tribes for that color have not been conquered eg Russian/Roman/Celtic.

And allow me to wish you my very sincerest congratulations on landing the new part in the upcoming Ridley Scott film Hannibal!

I'm just too funny. *sigh*

------------------
"In all creation, there can be no task more onerous or tedious than that of playing God." - Stephen Fry, 'The Liar'.
Old May 8, 2000, 17:52   #7
William Keenan
Prince

Resource seed: there are only 63 patterns for resouce seeds. Choosing resouces seed numbers 1-63 selects one of those patterns.

Selecting zero tells the computer to randomly select one of the other 63 patterns.

Any seed number greater than 63 repeats the cycle, thus entering 64 has the same effect as zero, 65 has the same pattern as 1.
Old May 9, 2000, 05:37   #8
Oldman
Prince

Cheers guys,
All i've got to do now is find about 2 hours to sit down and have fiddle about with this info and see what i can come up with!!

Just had an idea for another question, but i'll put it in a new thread...