Old October 27, 2001, 03:24   #1
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Spaceship to AC victory- hardest route?
From Avault:

"In order to accomplish a Space Race victory, you need to focus on securing the advances needed to acquire the ten components for building the spaceship. The first advance is Space Flight, which allows for the Cockpit, Docking Bar, and Engine. Next, the Synthetic Fiber advance enables the Exterior Casing, Stasis Chamber, and Storage components. The Superconductor advance bestows the Fuel Cells and Life Support parts. Finally, the Laser advance allows for the Planetary Party Lounge, and the Satellite advance bestows the Thrusters. In addition, you'll need to enable Rocketry for Aluminum and Fission for Uranium, since they are the two strategic resources that are required to construct the spaceship parts. As you can tell from this recipe, the Spaceship is a massive undertaking."

Even the Spaceship (Unity) needs two strategic resources to build, on top of so many techs, and who knows how many shields!

Could launching the Unity be the most difficult path to victory in CivIII? Because not only do you need almost all of the possible advances to even start the project, you also need a honking industrial base to boot.
Old October 27, 2001, 03:32   #2
Yolky
Prince

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
I think its a good thing then people can brag about building the space ship, and not winning by conquering the world.:eek
Old October 27, 2001, 03:51   #3
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Man you beat my to it!

It definetely looks like AC will be quite difficult but I'm still thinking conquering the world will be the most difficult to do. Why does the Planetary Party Lounge require the Laser?

it also says ICBMs are more devastating than tactical nukes... Excellent!
Old October 27, 2001, 06:47   #4
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 10:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael
Man you beat my to it!

It definetely looks like AC will be quite difficult but I'm still thinking conquering the world will be the most difficult to do. Why does the Planetary Party Lounge require the Laser?
To bounce off the disco ball, of course!
Old October 27, 2001, 07:56   #5
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 17:26
1. DISCO!!!!

2. META... err... I think I need to make a point so, Aplha Centauri victory indeed deserves to be very hard... the AC victory in the predecessors was too easy, you only needed the technology we already have, and that was pretty lame

the world conquering victory deserves to be hard as well, how would someone be able to beat the rest of the world, it is nonsenical in every regard

by today's view of history, cultural victory will be the one to go, as I have often finished CIV 2 games without either conquering the world or building the ship, just finished off and entered the list with another 100%-200% score... sounds lame to most, but as I have said so often, my games are made of fun situations and repeating historical wars, which makes the score go down, really
Old October 27, 2001, 08:39   #6
BLackraven42
Chieftain

I'm guessing diplomatic will be the hardest because you have to make people really like you. And there's always that one leader...

An old saying goes "For every language a man knows, he is that many times a man"
Therefore, George Bush is half a man.
Old October 27, 2001, 09:06   #7
Ecthy
Emperor

Well, I'm afraid I'm not so well-informed about victory conditions... so what is a diplomatic victory like then, what do you have to do to achieve it etc.?
Old October 27, 2001, 09:11   #8
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
Well, I'm afraid I'm not so well-informed about victory conditions... so what is a diplomatic victory like then, what do you have to do to achieve it etc.?
Here you go Ecthelion, this should being you up to date:

The most traditional way to win, the conquest victory, is always available. Eliminate all the other Civs and victory is yours.

The "space victory" ("Alpha Centauri victory") from Civilization II is back, but this time the goal of the space race is fulfilled when you complete and launch your spaceship. The spaceship is constructed of 10 parts, and completing it will require various strategic resources, including aluminum, rubber, and uranium.

A new cultural victory can occur if one of your cities amasses 20,000 culture points, or if your entire empire amasses at least 80,000 culture points and no rival civ has more than half of your cultural value.

The diplomatic victory condition is enabled after the United Nations wonder has been built. Once built, the UN will meet periodically to vote on a leader. Any civ that receives a majority of votes from the U.N. council wins the game. The catch here is that in order to even be on the U.N. council (and thus eligible to be elected U.N. leader), you must either control 25% of the world's territory or population. The civilization who builds the United Nations wonder automatically gains a permanent council position.

The domination victory occurs if you control a majority of the world's land surface within your borders. This can be achieved through various means, either by cultural tactics or military ones, or a combination of both.

Finally, if the game ends and no one is victorious by any of these, the game uses a "histograph" to determine the winner. The histograph averages the "score" of all the remaining civilizations, taking into account their score across the entire game. The civ with the best average "score" wins. Thus, your performance in ancient times is every bit as important as in the modern era.
Old October 27, 2001, 09:53   #9
Ecthy
Emperor

isn't 25% unrealistically high?

and isn't it impossible to achieve the military conquest victory when there's a domination victory on the way to it?
Old October 27, 2001, 10:22   #10
nlmalph
Settler

Local Time: 15:26
I had thought about that, but maybe the Domination is on the path to the conquest victory, but you can choose to ignore it.

Eg, your weakened enemies ask to surrender (Domination), but youre feeling viscious so you proceed to wipe them out (Conquest).
Old October 27, 2001, 10:28   #11
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Local Time: 09:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
isn't 25% unrealistically high?

and isn't it impossible to achieve the military conquest victory when there's a domination victory on the way to it?
Logically, you would think, but if you "Raze" all then enemy cities...or most of them, then you might not reach 2/3s of the world. Or of course, you could probably turn off the "domination victory".

As far as the 25% rule with the UN, I think that might mean in order to be eligible to be elected you need 25%. It is probably easier to become a member, but what do I know?
Old October 27, 2001, 10:43   #12
Ecthy
Emperor

Well, let's hope every civ is allowed to be in the UN

or you only need 10% or 5% of the world's population/size...

look at the real UN... not even China would be allowed to be in the UN, nor Russia with the big size... or India... but then, we also get less civs in CIV 3 than we have countries in real
Old October 27, 2001, 10:47   #13
Deathray
Warlord

I think the spaceship to AC was far too easy in earlier civ games. I was playing Civ 2 on Deity yesterday, and I was really pleased with myself when I finally finished and launched my spaceship. However, I wasn't complacent, so I gave all of my superior technology to my nearest neighbour, who was also my ally, so that my capital would be hard to capture before the spaceship landed. I had a pretty weak civ militarily, so I needed the help.

Two turns later, my ally has built a spaceship of his own, except with only one habitation, support and power module, so its faster than mine. He launches it and its going to reach AC before mine. He built the whole spaceship in TWO turns ffs! If thats not too easy then I don't know what it.

Well, naturally I was very annoyed about this. I built a large army of helicopters and spies and camped them out by his capital city. When I was ready, about 15 turns later (this was 1 year/turn and I had set the mass/thrust paradigm to 200) I cancelled the alliance and used the spies to nuke all of his cities connected by rail networks and captured his capital with my helicopters. Then, safe in the knowledge that my spaceship would get to AC first, I retreated and set about negotiating peace again. Well, he built another spaceship again, this time in 5 turns. But I managed to beat that one.

Anyway, the point to this rather rubbish story is that in previous civ games building the space ship was far too easy, and its nice to see that its more difficult this time round.
Old October 27, 2001, 12:15   #14
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Yep, the space victory sounds much harder now. I believe it was mentioned somewhere that it is the equivilant of building 10 wonders in a row. I like it.
Old October 27, 2001, 12:20   #15
Ecthy
Emperor

I want to rent that space, ixnay
Old October 27, 2001, 12:22   #16
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

What if you have domination (66% of world IIRC) and conquest victories enabled. Wouldn't the domination victory occur long before you captured the last enemy city? Wonder how that works.
Old October 27, 2001, 12:39   #17
zeh
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 12:26
Quote:
Originally posted by HalfLotus
What if you have domination (66% of world IIRC) and conquest victories enabled. Wouldn't the domination victory occur long before you captured the last enemy city? Wonder how that works.
I think not if less than 66% of the world are colonized by all civilizations. So you can capture all the enemy cities and win by conquest.
Old October 27, 2001, 12:48   #18
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
Originally posted by zeh

I think not if less than 66% of the world are colonized by all civilizations. So you can capture all the enemy cities and win by conquest.
What if thats not the case?
Old October 27, 2001, 14:53   #19
The diplomat
King

I think the space race does seem much more challenging than before. It might be a reason why victory comes when you launch the ship not land it.

The space race seems like the hardest. Not just you have to complete all the components which requires a solid industrial backbone, but your opponents will undoubtly try to interfer. They are not just going to sit back and let you build every component. So, you will have to build all 10 components, while fending off attacks, preventing sabotage, etc. It won't be easy!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old October 27, 2001, 15:38   #20
Dodgedemon
Settler

I know I've read somewhere you can turn the domination victory off. Just too lazy to look...
Old October 27, 2001, 16:00   #21
KoalaBear33
Warlord

I think the hardest is the UN victory, followed by the cultural victory. The spaceship victory will come next... and following these will be others...

UN will be hard because there is no guarantee that you can secure the vote. THe problem here is that the decision is not in your hands.

From the developer's comments, cultural seems hard too. The total figures of culture that you need are supposed to be very high. If this is indeed true, then this might be very diffcult. The good thing here is that the final outcome is in your hands: you decide whether you were successful in hitting the required cultural values.

Following the above two is the spaceship victory IMO. This is obviously hard because of the high # of prerequisites and the resources required.

KoalaBear33
Old October 27, 2001, 16:10   #22
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar

To bounce off the disco ball, of course!
I was afraid of that

I know that in the game setup screen, you can choose which victories you wish to enable and disable. But I never decide how I win before I play (but I mostly went AC).
Old October 27, 2001, 16:25   #23
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

I believe that the diplomatic victory is like SMAC's. Everone is in the UN, but you can only win the game if you are elected leader AND have 25% of the world.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old October 27, 2001, 16:30   #24
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BLackraven42
I'm guessing diplomatic will be the hardest because you have to make people really like you. And there's always that one leader...
Always that one leader what? That one leader you nuke into oblivion because he dared to disobey you?

I will try UN victory but I have a feeling I will be too impatient to get it many times...
Old October 27, 2001, 16:32   #25
Dodgedemon
Settler

I figure you could just turn off domination and start wiping the floor with the other civs. Then save the game after you think you've got the domination victory beat, finish mopping up and win by conquest. Then enable domination, reload, and win by domination. Two for the price of one...

Course, I reckon I'll just try to beat a different game with each victory condition. And the way things are looking, conquest isn't gonna be the cakewalk it used to. But I guess we'll see...
Old October 27, 2001, 18:12   #26
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 07:26
The AI has so many ways to win.

I can just see this happening

Advisor "Sir, next turn, our UNITY will be complete"
Later in that turn while the AI is moving
"Babylon has amassed 20 000 Culture"

Game Over
Old October 27, 2001, 18:17   #27
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
The AI has so many ways to win.

I can just see this happening

Advisor "Sir, next turn, our UNITY will be complete"
Later in that turn while the AI is moving
"Babylon has amassed 20 000 Culture"

Game Over
No s**t!!!
Old October 27, 2001, 20:43   #28
CygnusZ
Warlord

I wonder if Space Race structure's will be considered as "Offical Wonders". If I recall correctly, I believe that is possible to buy structure's and units that are not Wonders.

Well, you'd still need to stockpile a shnp load of cash....
Old October 27, 2001, 21:39   #29
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by CygnusZ
I wonder if Space Race structure's will be considered as "Offical Wonders". If I recall correctly, I believe that is possible to buy structure's and units that are not Wonders.

Well, you'd still need to stockpile a shnp load of cash....
Hey, that strategy worked fine for America's space-race. I might add that they were losing the space race before they devoted heaps of cash to it
Old October 27, 2001, 22:38   #30
CygnusZ
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

Hey, that strategy worked fine for America's space-race. I might add that they were losing the space race before they devoted heaps of cash to it
Oh c'mon... America also won the Space Race because it has a fine scientific backbone. After all, you can't buy science improvements .

Remember when America put those two innocent people to death because they "stole" Nuclear secrets? Americans just... could *NOT* believe Russian's could figure it out on their own (Hehe, Jewish Scapegoats at that). I wonder if Russia had similar punishment when America achieved Space Flight.