Old October 29, 2001, 19:01   #1
Ray K
Prince

Local Time: 10:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Rubber obsolete?
It seems to me that there should be a technology that, once learned, eliminates the need to use rubber as a resource.

At some point, a civilization must learn to produce rubber synthetically to supply its needs. This is in keeping with the real world. At what technology does rubber become available?
Old October 29, 2001, 19:47   #2
Sratava
Settler

If there isn't already one in the game, then just create one with the editor.
Old October 29, 2001, 20:29   #3
Rakki
Warlord

Local Time: 01:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
natural rubber is still being produced and used today.

Old October 29, 2001, 20:35   #4
The Mad Monk
Emperor

You're both right--natural rubber is still being used, and synthetic rubber is required to meet demands.

Synthetic rubber was first produced, IIRC, to make up for wartime shortages. Those wartime shortages no longer exist, but industrial growth has reached the point where natural rubber supplies would become too expensive if they were the only source.

Plus, there are applications for synthetic rubbers that natural rubbers could never meet without substantial modification.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old October 29, 2001, 21:19   #5
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 15:28
What about we don';t make rubber obsolete, but make it possible to produce rubber if you have a certain type of factory?
Old October 29, 2001, 22:52   #6
Ray K
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
What about we don';t make rubber obsolete, but make it possible to produce rubber if you have a certain type of factory?
I'm OK with that. I'm all for realism as long as it doesn't unbalance the game.

Anyone know when rubber becomes visible on the map?
Old October 29, 2001, 22:54   #7
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 11:28
Perhaps when you discover the "rubber" advance
Old October 29, 2001, 23:10   #8
Stretch
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:28
Thanks to sex education class, rubber is being discoverd at younger and younger ages these days.

And now, to keep this on topic, I must address the game:

I love the resources idea... but it does seem silly to use rubber for so many units when in history it was quickly replaced with a synthetic when it went in short supply. This should be addressed, but not by sacrifcing gameplay.
Old October 29, 2001, 23:23   #9
Ray K
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Stretch

I love the resources idea... but it does seem silly to use rubber for so many units when in history it was quickly replaced with a synthetic when it went in short supply. This should be addressed, but not by sacrifcing gameplay.
That's my point exactly. Go for realism whenever practical. If this has an unbalancing effect, then found out why and fix that.

For similar reasons, I will miss the explicit effects of religion added in by the CTP line. We need a Theocracy government!
Old October 29, 2001, 23:37   #10
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Wow, realism without sacraficing gameplay... my mantra exactly. You guys should have gotten to the forums earlier!

Rubber can be replaced, but there is still a significant rubber market due to the expense in making synthetic rubber. We'll just have to see what Firaxis thought... although for simplicity's sake, I'm pretty sure they just made rubber a resource until the end.
Old October 30, 2001, 06:17   #11
Tod
Settler

Local Time: 16:28
It must get obsolete with catholisism
Old October 30, 2001, 06:25   #12
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 17:28
rubber is already obsolete.
buy civ3 and you do not have to buy condoms for the next 6 months
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 30, 2001, 07:43   #13
ElitePersian
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
rubber is already obsolete.
buy civ3 and you do not have to buy condoms for the next 6 months
HAHAHA VERY TRUE!

As for the "realism without sacrificing gameplay", that is what i have always said about every game, it seems so far like civ 3 implemented this idea pretty well so far.
Old October 30, 2001, 23:31   #14
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Tod- Please explain yourself.
I don't mind statements, but could you please back it up somewhat. Especially due to its insulting nature.