Old October 29, 2001, 22:57   #1
arborman
Warlord

Local Time: 10:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
IP games
I like this PBEM thing, but surely we all want to play a fast paced IP game once in awhile. In my experience, they should be on nothing larger than a standard map, and people should have at least 12 hours to commit before playing. Of course, it is theoretically possible to meet again at a later time, but with 3-7 anonymous players such an event is highly unlikely. Is it possible to switch back and forth from PBEM to IP? I think so. Therefore, people could play PBEM when they had lives to live etc, and once in awhile hook up for some IP straight up competition. It would probably be best to start with Ip then move into PBEM once everyone runs out of steam.
So what I'm trying to say is: Is there any interest in starting a game with IP and then after a few hours switching to PBEM?
Old October 29, 2001, 23:03   #2
Black Sunrise
Prince

Local Time: 15:29
I'm willing to play fast-paced PBEM games, because I'm online all the time, but am unable to guarantee enough time for an IP game.
I wish games were server-based. You have x amount of time to log on and play, if you don't, none of your forces move that year. No delay for the game, ever. If you go on vacation, find a sub or your troops idle.
I've played some turn-based sims that were that way, and it really makes multi-playing much easier.
Indra
Old October 30, 2001, 10:35   #3
arborman
Warlord

Local Time: 10:29
That would be nice, and I suspect it will come someday. Meanwhile, we sometimes just want to sit around and play the game, several turns at once. Of course, I usually don't have time for anything more than PBEM, but surely people other than me want to play an IP game once in awhile?
Old November 2, 2001, 04:55   #4
Lord_Icewind
ACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 17:29
hi
I really prefer IP games rather than pbem...why?well, i just prefer it, don't really know why..maybe its because you can go straight to face-to-face action!...or maybe its that feeeling we are playing in that right instant...
here's a question: Why, oh why, even if my connection is DSL, the game is so slow on IP? even if all the players have quick connections, well, there are a lot of games that just are much quicker..even if they have to handle a lot of things (Bases, units, aliens)..there should REALLY be a server, like battle.net or something...it would bring much more people to play smac, or even, when they can, Civ3..