Old October 29, 2001, 23:48   #1
ajbera
Prince

Local Time: 15:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Manhattan Project workaround?
To my dismay, it seems that not only is the Manhattan Project a Great Wonder that enables nuke-building capabilities for all civs, but from the Improvement editor screenshot:

http://www.apolyton.net/civ3/images/...dit6-thumb.jpg

it seems that abilities/effects are grouped by inmprovement type, and Great and Small Wonder effects are non-mixable groups. Therefore, using the given editors, we cannot make the Manhattan Project a Small Wonder (as it rightfully should have been, dammit dammit.)

I suppose there's a chance that it may be enabled somehow using the improvement editor, but I strongly doubt it. So, I'm wondering, is there any way to link units, advances and improvements in such a way as to require a Small Wonder be built before a civ can build nuclear units? The improvement editor shows that improvements can be linked to other improvements, govs and advances, so this may conceivably be done (though hopefully in not too convoluted a fashion.)

While I grudgingly understand Firaxis' decision to release the game as they did (nukes being so powerful that allowing all civs to have them around the same time levels the playing field a bit), they should at least have allowed for scenarios where each civ must join the nuclear community by themselves. I do, however, find it odd that each civ must conquer space individually, but the work of one civ allows everyone to bomb the hell out of each other.

Aside from this, I must admit that the game looks outstanding, and I'm heartened by early reviews. I do sincerely hope, however, that Firaxis stands by their statement that they are devoted to the mod and scenario community, and they open up many more of the games inner mechanics to us. We promise everyone at Firaxis that we would do you proud.
ajbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2001, 00:01   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yes, you are right.

Hears a link to the fill-size version of that screen.

Looks like thats one wonder im not going to build...
Old October 30, 2001, 01:30   #3
klesh
King

Local Time: 11:30
Is it me...
or is that a screenshot of the Apollo Program Wonder?

-FMK.
klesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2001, 04:51   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hes referring to the greyed-out area next to the apollo program small wonder... in the wonder options.

Looks like small wonders can only choose from 'small wonder effects' and great wonders can only choose from the 'wonder effects'. This means that small wonders cant become great wonders, and vice versa, and the Manhattan Project is stuck as a great wonder. Its option is currently greyed-out.

This is the interesting part of that picture.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	bignukeoption.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	4959  
Old October 30, 2001, 05:18   #5
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:30
I'm a bit incapacitated, travelling in remote overseas places, so I haven't gotten my Civ3 yet. But peeking in on these forums, I gotta say what I've seen so far regarding Civ3's editability is very disappointing. Why on earth can't I make the Manhattan Project a small wonder, if I want to?

What's really grating is that one often can't change the numbers. For instance, the success rate of SDI is fixed at 75%. How hard would it be to allow that number (and other similar numbers) to change?

Firaxis has its work cut out for it if its serious at all about supporting scenario makers. In many ways it looks like a big step down from Civ2 in editability, which I didn't think possible. You can't even predetermine that the English start in the world map in England?!? Where's the Suggestions forum already?

The big question is: is Firaxis serious about continuing to improve the game, or will they jerk us around like Activision, and disappear after a patch or two? If they're serious, then Firaxians, please tell us what your schedule for adding scenario functionality and serious editability is. Open a dialogue and find out what scenario makers want and need to give the game a long life of good sales.
Harlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2001, 07:16   #6
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 08:30
if that's true, then it seems that we are STILL unable to actually edit woder effects, just essentially rename them.

dang!

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Father Beast is offline   Reply With Quote