Old October 30, 2001, 04:11   #1
Faboba
King

Local Time: 15:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
A..... 'realistic' world map.
http://www.avault.com/reviews/avscre...pic=civ3&num=5

Look at the above and tell me if you see anything odd. I'm sure the world map looks very nice on the mini-map, but on the main game screen nothing looks like anything else.

It's very nice they've given us a 'realistic'world map, like the world would really look like if we pealed the crust from the planet, and rolled it out on an intergalactic coffee table with the intent to play risk. Unfortuantely, I liked the Civ2 one. And you know who I blame? I blame all of you.

All the whineing about how "the civ2 maps isn't realistic" "Hello - the world's really spherical" caused this.

I refuse to live in a country that looks on the main map, like all there is is England, and a rather fat, bloated version of england to boot. My only hope is 100X100.

I don't care about the phalanx beating mech infantry, seriously could happen, it's all about odds. And as you get more veteran the odds stack up more heavily in your favour. ( I mean - the phalanx winning a round, very plausible. Winning 3, possible, winning 5!!! I doubt it )

I don't care if people don't like the sound of birdsong, I do so long as it isn't that big magpie ****er which hangs around the tree outside my window and screams.

I don't care about scrolling issue, cause I know two things - 1 they will be better than CTP was for me and 2: Sid won't have had the annoying thing CTP did of making the cities vanish as you scroll, hell thats probably why it's jerky.

But what I DO care about is the world map. I love the world. I don't want to generate a new one where resources might be evenly spaced

*sigh*

See what happens when they bend to your wishes.
Old October 30, 2001, 04:42   #2
The Negotiator
Chieftain

The real world map does kind of suck if you as me. I only hope that the huge version is better(i mean this isn't huge right?).

I really don't care about that phalanx beating armor stuff. It's just a game! And think it this way: The guys at Firaxis are probably played the game few days themselves and I really trust that they know what they are doing.

It should also be remembered that civ games have always been quite abtract. Think of it: ancient phalanxes roaming and defending New York in 2001. Not very realistic. I myself could easely think that these phalanxes(despite of they're name) could perhaps have some more modern weopons like rifles or grenades.

I really don't have anything againts it if phalanx beats armor sometimes. Not realistic but I can manage it if the overall gameplay is fun.
Old October 30, 2001, 04:50   #3
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 17:31
I just hope this is NOT Earth. Look at Spain and France and where is Wales and... argll.
Old October 30, 2001, 05:10   #4
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 16:31
Looks very funny indeed.

But look at the bright side. Someone is bound to make a proper map if the in-game ones are rubbish.
Old October 30, 2001, 05:25   #5
wunder
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:31
I have to say that I wasn't impressed by the world map myself.

I thought this was supposed to be bigger maps than civ2. I haven't seen any of the huge world map screenshots but I sure hope it's better than the world map I saw.

Sooner or later, one of us will make a good and accurate world map
Old October 30, 2001, 06:53   #6
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Wow Even CtP2's world map was leagues better than this; and I thought that was a pretty poor map...
Old October 30, 2001, 07:13   #7
red_jon
NationStates
King

I SO agree with Faboba. I liked the Civ2 maps - the large Earth map was fine. This new one looks crap.
Old October 30, 2001, 07:13   #8
LaRusso
King

um, is this small map again?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 30, 2001, 07:49   #9
BlueHooHoo
Chieftain

Quote:
I loaded the huge map in the Editor, you don't get a view of the minimap and with the size of the screen grabs I can post, both islands just look like funny shaped greeny/brown blobs!
Quoting my self from a few days ago (referring to England & New Zealand). It looks like I’m not the only one who thinks they look like funny shaped greeny/brown blobs!!!

Hopefully someone will soon release their own Editor designed maps. I refuse to live on a blob!!!
Old October 30, 2001, 08:30   #10
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:31
Re: A..... 'realistic' world map.
Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
http://www.avault.com/reviews/avscre...pic=civ3&num=5

Look at the above and tell me if you see anything odd. I'm sure the world map looks very nice on the mini-map, but on the main game screen nothing looks like anything else.

It's very nice they've given us a 'realistic'world map, like the world would really look like if we pealed the crust from the planet, and rolled it out on an intergalactic coffee table with the intent to play risk. Unfortuantely, I liked the Civ2 one. And you know who I blame? I blame all of you.

All the whineing about how "the civ2 maps isn't realistic" "Hello - the world's really spherical" caused this.

I refuse to live in a country that looks on the main map, like all there is is England, and a rather fat, bloated version of england to boot. My only hope is 100X100.
Okay, go to an English class before you post here again. I can't even understand the last paragraph. Second, that is the 100 x 100 map, of course its going to look weird. BTW, if you don't like the map, make your own. You'll have nobody to blame but yourself.

Read your post outloud and tell me if you can understand it, because I can't.
Old October 30, 2001, 08:37   #11
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Re: Re: A..... 'realistic' world map.
Quote:
Originally posted by SoulAssassin
I can't even understand the last paragraph.

Oh jeezzzz... we have non-native English speakers on Apolyton. Crumbs! Actually, I am one, but hey!

Where are you from, SoulAssassin? R U a native Englisher? Be constructive, please.
Old October 30, 2001, 08:40   #12
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:31
Re: Re: Re: A..... 'realistic' world map.
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthling7

Oh jeezzzz... we have non-native English speakers on Apolyton. Crumbs! Actually, I am one, but hey!

Where are you from, SoulAssassin? R U a native Englisher? Be constructive, please.
I'm in the US, and English is my second language. Serbo-Croat is my native language. If you can't bother to learn the language, you have no right to post.

I was complaining about the grammar. Plus. I believe that person is from UK.

I know it is difficult to learn another language, but when something is so incoherent that I cannot even read it, it doesn't deserve to be posted.
Old October 30, 2001, 08:51   #13
LaRusso
King

tako je soulassasine covek ne zna ni sopstveni jezik

the tragic part is when native speakers have to be corrected by the non-natives
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 30, 2001, 09:08   #14
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Re: Re: A..... 'realistic' world map.
Quote:
Okay, go to an English class before you post here again. I can't even understand the last paragraph.
I have no problem understanding it. Yes, it's totally ungrammatical, but since Faboba is a native english speaker, he can be forgiven. Still, nearly ottok-quality on that last paragraph, I admit. Here's a translation from scottish to english, if you really, really, don't get it: "I refuse to live in a country that looks [like it does] on the main map, [as if] all there [was in the area where the british isles are in real life was] England, and a rather fat, bloated version of [E]ngland to boot. My only hope is [that the larger map (sized 180X180) represents britain more favourably]. "
Old October 30, 2001, 09:10   #15
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Just because someone is posting from a country doesnt mean they are a native of that country
Also, not everyone can speak a second language perfectly, or even understandably. But the only way to get better at something is to practice, and using these forums is a good way, if certain people dont bite your head off

Actually, re-reading his post, its fairly easy to understand what he says, so i removed this comment.

Last edited by Skanky Burns; October 30, 2001 at 09:27.
Old October 30, 2001, 09:21   #16
Grumbold
Emperor

I far prefer to read interesting and informative posts that have a few mistakes in them than grammatically correct and dull, pedantic or offensive ones.
Old October 30, 2001, 09:24   #17
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
In an ironic twist of fate, SoulAssassin
Warlord
of deicide

has mis-spelled his 'location' thingy

Its either:
Deceit (being untrustworthy) or
Decide (making a decision)

Moral of the story: Dont knock others or prepare for the same treatment

oh, wait a second... that means ill be next in line
Old October 30, 2001, 09:41   #18
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Er, no. "Deicide", as in "Killing a god". Right up there with theophagy, I recon.
Old October 30, 2001, 09:49   #19
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
In an ironic twist of fate, SoulAssassin
Warlord
of deicide

has mis-spelled his 'location' thingy

Its either:
Deceit (being untrustworthy) or
Decide (making a decision)

Moral of the story: Dont knock others or prepare for the same treatment

oh, wait a second... that means ill be next in line
In an ironic twist of fate you let us know that you ran away from your literature classes
Old October 30, 2001, 12:09   #20
The Negotiator
Chieftain

Quote:

Okay, go to an English class before you post here again. I can't even understand the last paragraph. Second, that is the 100 x 100 map, of course its going to look weird. BTW, if you don't like the map, make your own. You'll have nobody to blame but yourself.

Read your post outloud and tell me if you can understand it, because I can't.
Reading posts like this really entertain me. Grow up dude!