Old October 31, 2001, 22:45   #61
Goingonit
Warlord

Local Time: 10:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Case
This is a very big disapointment - I may wait untill Firaxis release a scenario/MP pack next year before buying the game
God... I had a choice between buying Tropico or preordering Civ 3... Lucky me, I just finished another session of Tropico! (it's cheaper too.)

Well, I literally MW'd my money when buying CTP (I hated the game and stuck it in in the microwave...fitting payment). Not making the same mistake twice.
Old October 31, 2001, 22:53   #62
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 09:33
I'm hoping we can exert enough pressure on Infogrames/Firaxis to provide multiplayer and full scenario capability in a free, downloadable patch. Both were promised initially. There's no way we should have to pay twice for it.

BTW, they're taking a beating over on the Civ3 threads. Well deserved, IMHO.
Old November 1, 2001, 01:32   #63
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 23:33
Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh
I'm hoping we can exert enough pressure on Infogrames/Firaxis to provide multiplayer and full scenario capability in a free, downloadable patch. Both were promised initially. There's no way we should have to pay twice for it.

BTW, they're taking a beating over on the Civ3 threads. Well deserved, IMHO.
Multiplayer Schmultiplayer IMO ( ) but I do want my scenario's darnit
As long as it was a good editor/script language, at least as functional as FW (hopefully with ToT's flags and extra's too - such as being able to identify map co-ordinates from a triggerattacker location ) I wouldn't even mind paying effectively full price for the whole thing again, but not if its going to take half a year or more...

I think the initial choppiness in certain platforms is to be expected nowadays with the sheer number of different combinations out there. These usually seem to be fixed in a first patch once the developers can isolate problems to specific systems.
I still have hopes for this game and appreciate what I've heard about what is in. Its just that what isn't is such a gamekiller at the moment...
Old November 1, 2001, 02:25   #64
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It will be interesting to see how Firaxis react to all the criticism they're recieving - just about everyone from Firaxis has an Apolyton account, and they appear to check in regularly.

Remember though that Microprose did almost exactly the same thing with Civ 2 - it came with 2 basic scenarios, some dodgy maps, and limited editing tools, which were later expanded through CiC, FW and MGE, with Microsoft making a fortune in the process.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old November 1, 2001, 03:05   #65
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 09:33
Yes, that's true. They streched the Civ2 series into 5 separate CD's, making a profit on each one, I assume. There is no reason to slide back to the original level of features however. Civ3 should improve on the state of the art, not go backwards.
Old November 1, 2001, 12:42   #66
klesh
King

Local Time: 11:33
Min Req...
Case, you asked back there a bit about the min requirements vs my computer. Well, there are two lists....minimum and 'for best resusts'.

Minimum
300Mhz PentiumII processor
32MB RAMDirectx8.0a compatible soundcard and videocard

For Best Rersults
500Mhz PentiumII
64MB of RAM

FMK's Ol' Trusty
550Mhz PentiumIII
64 MB RAM

The game plays, on my computer, as if I were playing CivII on the Playstation. Choppy, music skips, long wimes waiting for people for the AI etc.

-FMK.
Old November 7, 2001, 16:42   #67
klesh
King

Local Time: 11:33
Dan, Markos, Warvoid...
Whomever.

I suppose this thread can be deleted, cause all of us SLeaguer's have had a chance to have our look at the 'editing tools'. So in the interest of server bandwidth etc, feel free to drop this one.

-FMK.