Old October 30, 2001, 19:10   #1
fluxcapacitor
Warlord

Local Time: 07:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
My Civ 3 REQUIRES the CD...
What the hell, I thought the disc wasn't necessary?! My copy, the standard ed., will not run w/o the disc in.
Old October 30, 2001, 19:16   #2
GodSpawn
Prince

Local Time: 15:34
Sounds like the folks who said it didn't were talking shite.
Old October 30, 2001, 19:19   #3
Melloj
Chieftain

Yeah Confirmed, I have the SE, and I do require a CD to play

ARGH!!!

Why must game companies do this .... I guess you just got to wait until GameCopyWorld releases the no-cd patch.
Old October 30, 2001, 19:46   #4
Che Palle
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:34
If the fact that the CD is required isn't bad enough... the game besides storing some 700MEGS on my hard drive, still reads who knows what off the CDROM. And it takes for freggin' ever to load!!!!

I'd say easily 20-30 times longer than Civ2, but I'm being wildly conservative as Civ2 loads almost instantaneously and Civ3 easily takes 30 or more seconds... I don't want to time it 'cause I'm scared it's actually more than that.

Incidentally my system is a Duron 900, 256mb ram, 7200rpm hard drive. The CDRom is the bottleneck here as I have a (please don't laugh) 6x drive.

What can I say, it's a CDR, didn't have a need for an additional regular drive, and not looking forward to buying a CDR with a 40x read speed.

This sux!
Old October 30, 2001, 20:29   #5
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 09:34
i might know where you can get a crack for that

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old October 30, 2001, 20:37   #6
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Che Palle
If the fact that the CD is required isn't bad enough... the game besides storing some 700MEGS on my hard drive, still reads who knows what off the CDROM. And it takes for freggin' ever to load!!!!

I'd say easily 20-30 times longer than Civ2, but I'm being wildly conservative as Civ2 loads almost instantaneously and Civ3 easily takes 30 or more seconds... I don't want to time it 'cause I'm scared it's actually more than that.

Incidentally my system is a Duron 900, 256mb ram, 7200rpm hard drive. The CDRom is the bottleneck here as I have a (please don't laugh) 6x drive.

What can I say, it's a CDR, didn't have a need for an additional regular drive, and not looking forward to buying a CDR with a 40x read speed.

This sux!
Hmm, I bet you'd complain when you bought a Ferrari that you couldn't drive fast in rush hour traffic as well?

Civ2 was a bare-bones game made 6 years ago, at the time it crippled some LOW-END systems as well. If your CD is causing problems, then either upgrade it or shut-up because you only have yourself to blame.
Old October 30, 2001, 23:27   #7
Che Palle
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandous

Hmm, I bet you'd complain when you bought a Ferrari that you couldn't drive fast in rush hour traffic as well?

Civ2 was a bare-bones game made 6 years ago, at the time it crippled some LOW-END systems as well. If your CD is causing problems, then either upgrade it or shut-up because you only have yourself to blame.
Ozymandous,

Your analogy is ridiculous.

The game *RUNS* fine on my PC. As a matter of fact I'm not sure what the reviewers who say the scrolling isn't smooth are talking about.

However, pardon me if I think it's reasonable to assume that once a CDROM with a nominal capacity of what, 640Mb has plopped 700Mb onto your Hard Drive, it won't need to load a whole lot of stuff off the CD to run.

Sure there's compression, but really... once they've taken up 700Mb they might as well ask me if it's ok to fill up 3GB and run from Hard Drive only.

By the way, I timed it... it's not 30 seconds. It's 52.

And it wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that the Video Mode ini switch documented in their Readme file doesn't work... so I've had to restart the game some 20 times in a row to try different settings. That's 20 wasted minutes.

Alessandro

Happy with the game, and happier when someone figures out how I can devote a couple more Gig to the thing and store the CDRom.

P.S. You'd think that if they plan on forcing me to use the CD they WOULD include a jewel case to protect it. When I first saw the cardboard sleeve I thought "Heck, if it's good enough for PhotoShop, it's good enough for Civ3" problem is, once you've installed PhotoShop you can send the CD to your storage facility in Siberia.
Old October 31, 2001, 00:11   #8
fluxcapacitor
Warlord

Local Time: 07:34
mine came w/ a jewel case.
Old October 31, 2001, 00:20   #9
Stretch
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:34
the first report I saw said the game runs without the CD *after its been started*

I havent tested this, but I was under the impression the CD needs to be present to lauch the game but not thereafter.

And I got a jewel case... standard edition.
Old October 31, 2001, 00:32   #10
CygnusZ
Warlord

Hmm, ok. If you want to run the game without a CD, you'll have to locate the Razor warez edition of this game and it come with a crack.

Now, I didn't warez the game mind you. It's simply that my computer won't run *ANYTHING* with Safedisc2 protection legitmate or not. It's really quite fustrating to try to boot-up Civ3, see the screen flicker and get booted back to Win98 . Ah well, anyway, if you can find it (hopefully a crack will appear at megagames or gamecopyworld) you'll be able to run it without a CD.
Old October 31, 2001, 00:52   #11
donarumo
Warlord

just for reference for those that are not currently aware...

www.megagames.com

and

www.gamecopyworld.com

both are good places to look for cracked executable files that will evenutally appear so that no CD is needed.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)