Old October 30, 2001, 21:45   #1
TechWins
King

Local Time: 08:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Don't Buy Civ3!!!
Why shouldn't you buy Civ3? Well because you probably won't be able to play it with all the bugs running around with the game. I have been trying to play the game for three hours now and I still can't play because of the video problem. I would have to say this is the worst gaming experience I have ever had. I don't see how a gaming company could put out a piece of trash like Civ3 for sell. Whatever you do don't buy Civ3, at least not for a while (until patch comes out)!!!
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 30, 2001, 21:51   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Well, I see that you've gotten your copy of Civ3!
Where did you finally buy it at?

I understand your warning, but you know I'm still going to buy it...curiosity killed the cat!

Other people have it and are experiencing no problems with the game. Hopefully I won't have any problems either....but I guess I'll see.

What type of system are you running it on?
Old October 30, 2001, 21:51   #3
TechWins
King

I'm surprised a pessimist hasn't posted in this thread saying something to this effect "I told you so".
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 30, 2001, 21:52   #4
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:34
Well, Tech. Perhaps there are some problems, but telling others not to buy Civ3, even if it will work on their machines?

Lemme tell you a story:

I was really looking forward to Arcanum. I got the game, wouldn't work, no matter what I'd do. I simply returned it, dissapointedly and didn't think about it after
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old October 30, 2001, 21:53   #5
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 10:34
So does this mean you think the game was rushed?

just imagine what three more months of work (and an open beta) could have done
Old October 30, 2001, 21:57   #6
TechWins
King

I was able to get it at Best Buy today, surprisingly enough. I think I had been lied to on the phone previously and is the reason for me not receiving the game earlier. I guess who really cares because the game sucks for me. Oh wait here is the problem - "It seems to be happening mostly on systems with older or improperly installed monitors." I mean it couldn't possibly be the coding as somebody else stated in a different thread.

To answer your question Wittlich:
Windows 2000 (updated with the newest service pack)
Celeron 500
384 MB RAM
4 MB Rage Pro Video Card
Monitor capable of 1024x784
Can't think of any other relevant info

My computer may not be the greatest but it is not that bad. Plus it is only one year old. My 'old' or 'improperly' installed monitor has always seemed to work fine on other games, with much higher requirements. But I will always trust old faithful (Firaxis) and believe the problem is my PC and not their lazy ass coding.
Old October 30, 2001, 22:01   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

You are right Tech, your system should be able to run Civ3

I know this probably a silly question, but do you have the latest DirectX 8.0a drivers installed on your system?
Old October 30, 2001, 22:02   #8
TechWins
King

Quote:
Well, Tech. Perhaps there are some problems, but telling others not to buy Civ3, even if it will work on their machines?
Obviously I am not the only one that is encountering this problem. I think it would be wise for the rest of you to not buy the game until a patch (that will actually fix the problem) comes out. Unless you are willing to experience the ultimate frustration. Go for it Imran, I could careless.

Quote:
Lemme tell you a story:
[rudely sarcastic tone]Wow, what an amazing story![rudely sarcastic tone]
Old October 30, 2001, 22:03   #9
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 09:34
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
I was able to get it at Best Buy today, surprisingly enough. I think I had been lied to on the phone previously and is the reason for me not receiving the game earlier. I guess who really cares because the game sucks for me. Oh wait here is the problem - "It seems to be happening mostly on systems with older or improperly installed monitors." I mean it couldn't possibly be the coding as somebody else stated in a different thread.

Celeron 500
384 MB RAM
4 MB Rage Pro Video Card

My computer may not be the greatest but it is not that bad. Plus it is only one year old. My 'old' or 'improperly' installed monitor has always seemed to work fine on other games, with much higher requirements. But I will always trust old faithful (Firaxis) and believe the problem is my PC and not their lazy ass coding.
Not very good graphics card

extra service packs suck for Win2000

Jon Miller
Old October 30, 2001, 22:07   #10
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 15:34
LOL you bought it at Best Buy!

That means all you'll get to do is exchange it for the EXACT SAME GAME - defective Civ3 for hopefully working Civ3.

I 99% guarantee you they won't budge on that policy, I never did when I worked there.
Old October 30, 2001, 22:23   #11
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

STFU!!! you bastard! i cant believe you. it runs fne on my and every other system i know of. shut up!
Old October 30, 2001, 22:23   #12
Steve Clark
King

Don't blame the game, tech (is that a misnomer?). Your way undersized graphics card is perhaps not capable of handling DirectX 8 and you probably do not have the latest drivers because most of them do require a 16mb card, I believe.
Old October 30, 2001, 22:26   #13
Draco aka Se7eN
Chieftain

Hmmm maybe i should of went to the store today too?

I think i might have been lied to also! ! !

ahh the world we live in
Old October 30, 2001, 22:41   #14
Akillias
Chieftain

Do you have installed Active X on ur system??
Old October 30, 2001, 22:47   #15
PrimitiveCiv
Settler

YOUR COMPUTER SUCKS ASS DUDE!

don't blame the game
Old October 30, 2001, 22:59   #16
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

No, he's right. This is the equivalent of call to power 3, I am sorely dissapointed. This game was quite possibly made over lunch breaks, it is one of the saddest things I have seen in a long time.
Old October 30, 2001, 23:07   #17
Kc7mxo
King

Don't buy it? ok. fine.

can i still download the hack?

har har har har
Old October 30, 2001, 23:09   #18
PrimitiveCiv
Settler

Why don't you tell us why you think the game sucks.......
Old October 30, 2001, 23:13   #19
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I agree, the game sucks. I am however smarter than those of you that bought it. I haven't.

I won't be suckered into buying this piece of ****! I know it won't run on my system because Firaxis sucks and Sid sucks.

If it did run on my system it would be choppy because Firaxis was too lazy to code it to work with my crappy monitor and lousy video card. The bums!

And the sound would stutter or lock my system up because Firaxis hires lousy sucky programmers who know nothing about my dime store sound card.

And the AI sucks too, I know it.

So there, the hell with all of you lousy bums.

Old October 30, 2001, 23:17   #20
Green Giant
Warlord

I feel for you man, frustrating as hell isn't it. Diablo 2 still doesn't work on my comp. After 3 polite and 2 unpolite e-mails to Blizzard tech support they finally told me that others had had the problem and they don't know how to fix it. Just that it was something with Athlon proessors. I was livid and wrote them 1 more impolite e-mail.

Maybe your bug will get fixed in an upcoming patch. At least know I feel for ya man.
Old October 30, 2001, 23:22   #21
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Just reeport the specific bugs to korn's list, and return the game, or wait until the patches

I understand your anger, however.
Old October 30, 2001, 23:34   #22
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Well, I haven't had any serious problems yet; at least not anything that stops gameplay (just a couple of quirky things).
Old October 30, 2001, 23:37   #23
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Now I have no sympathy for you Tech. I hope that you never get it to run .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old October 30, 2001, 23:48   #24
ooo
Settler

Quote:

Celeron 500
384 MB RAM
4 MB Rage Pro Video Card
4mb video carD???wat the hell is that and u claim ur pc is only a year old???wat????
Old October 30, 2001, 23:51   #25
randomturn
Prince

I've been playing this game without even a bathroom break for 12 hours.

It installs in less than 5 minutes and is totally stable as far as I can tell.
Old October 30, 2001, 23:52   #26
ooo
Settler

Re: Don't Buy Civ3!!!
Quote:
Why shouldn't you buy Civ3? Well because you probably won't be able to play it with all the bugs running around with the game. I have been trying to play the game for three hours now and I still can't play because of the video problem. I would have to say this is the worst gaming experience I have ever had. I don't see how a gaming company could put out a piece of trash like Civ3 for sell. Whatever you do don't buy Civ3, at least not for a while (until patch comes out)!!!
***** now that i have finished readin the thread all i can say is **** you and go get a real pc before u start to ***** about ur probs *****
Old October 30, 2001, 23:53   #27
Fintilgin
Chieftain

Actually, I've encountered a nasty save-game corruption bug, that I've posted about in the help forum.

Other then that though, the game is great. Leaps and bounds above CivII and SMAC.

Joe
Old October 30, 2001, 23:56   #28
Dire Wolf
Chieftain

Jon Miller,

LOL! Service Pack 2 for Windows 2000 doesn't suck. Hopefully you don't work in tech support...
Old October 31, 2001, 00:00   #29
Dylan Baker
DiploGamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

No problems here, whatsoever.

The game does have a little AOE feel to it, but this may just be beacause Ive been staring at the static Civ II screen for the past 4 years.
Old October 31, 2001, 00:01   #30
Bane
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:34
Re: Don't Buy Civ3!!!
Quote:
i tried to read this whole post - but got tried of your ***** 'in -- what are your problems -- you need to be a little more definitve. in addition, many times it may seem like a vid problem when its a sound problem -- my sound blaster card is always causing problems -- some games I have to bypass it some I don't