Old October 30, 2001, 23:28   #1
tleilaxu
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hong Kong
any word? or should i count on my friends in korea buying it on the 9th and bringing it here?
Old October 31, 2001, 06:06   #2
Chow Yun Fat
Warlord

Local Time: 15:35
Hong Kong release date thread is on the 2nd (or 3rd page).

No firmed date and concrete info for Hong Kong yet. Current information suggests that it's Nov 18. (From a shopowner). She said that there is probably both LE and SE. LE will probably cost about HK$300. I am a bit doubtful about the availability of limited edition in Hong Kong despite her assurance.

Latest release info. on Taiwan: Nov 2. (From a game fan quoting an Infograme Taiwan spokeswoman email in a certain game forum). Only a small amount of English limited edition will be available on the Taiwan first batch release. Taiwan suggested retail price: NT$1280 (HK$280).

In case that the Taiwan Civ3LE is sold out, can you grab me a Korean copy?
Old October 31, 2001, 23:03   #3
tleilaxu
Chieftain

i'll see what i can do... what part of HK are you in?
(Tsuen Wan here)
Old November 1, 2001, 00:21   #4
Chow Yun Fat
Warlord

Anywhere near MTR is fine. I will leave a private message asking for help if needed. I will check my Taiwan channel on Friday (ie. If the game is really available this Friday, the price, the time needed to mail, etc).

If I confirm the availability, I will also send you a PM to see if you need the Taiwan version. It should contain both English and Chinese version of manuals for the English LE version.

I am considering whether to get the 'demo' version in Hong Kong before my proper purchase. One of my friends tells me that the Hong Kong 'demo' version was out on 31 Oct 2001.
Old November 1, 2001, 02:58   #5
tleilaxu
Chieftain

i don't think i can resist...
Old November 1, 2001, 08:30   #6
Genghis John
Settler

Local Time: 22:35
Going to be in HK for a couple of days next week on business. Of course, if anyone could point me to somewhere I could pick up CIVIII along the way... It would be a much more pleasant plane ride back

Could someone in HK email me good places to check if it's out?
Old November 1, 2001, 11:02   #7
Chow Yun Fat
Warlord

Genghis:

Are you sure that you want the "HK Demo" version of Civ3? I guess that it will be cheaper to get such version in Thailand or Malaysia.

Although I don't recommend you buying in HK, it's kind of interesting to see how "Demo" version CDs being sold publicly.
(HK Customs raids such shops regularly but the shops always find some ways to sneak through)

Don't even try bringing your spouse to shop there. If you walk the wrong way, you'll find a lot of uncensored things that makes her blush.

Try look for Simcity in Mongkok if you are really interested.
(Simcity in HK is just a small shopping arcade, not a city)
Old November 5, 2001, 00:19   #8
tleilaxu
Chieftain

i'd try the golden market in sham shui po... you can find this type of stuff just about anywhere....

i'm not saying you should buy a demo copy of civ3 but if you were to do that i'd recommend getting the one w/ the crack.

by doing this you are financing people who do some very nasty things.
Old November 5, 2001, 03:14   #9
Chow Yun Fat
Warlord

Also for your information, proper Taiwan version has reached the hand of a few people who pre-order. It is expected the game hit Taiwan street on this Sat. (10 Nov). Guess I will wait for the proper HK release in this case.

I've been playing the game. Thanks to my friend who bought one in US and he flies back to Hong Kong last Friday with the game.
Old November 5, 2001, 23:03   #10
tleilaxu
Chieftain

hey chow sinsan... after multiplayer comes out we should play... you're not THE chow yun fat, are you?
Old November 6, 2001, 03:03   #11
Chow Yun Fat
Warlord

The name Chow is used only in this forum. Originally, I am the only Hong Konger here (except for Urban Ranger, who does not seem to be ethic Chinese). Chow is one of the best name known to the westerners and signfies the city that I live.

My Chinese name is too hard for westerners to pronounced correctly.
Old November 8, 2001, 01:55   #12
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by tleilaxu
i'd try the golden market in sham shui po... you can find this type of stuff just about anywhere....

i'm not saying you should buy a demo copy of civ3 but if you were to do that i'd recommend getting the one w/ the crack.

by doing this you are financing people who do some very nasty things.
How much money do they make on these demos? I've seen all different types of demos selling for HK$10 a CD.

What I find funny is that the demos were out so quickly and they're here before Civ3 is officially released. Seems liek the demo makers have their act together more than firaxis and infrogames.
Old November 8, 2001, 02:54   #13
tleilaxu
Chieftain

most illegal games run for about $20 Hong Kong ($2.50 US). plus, you can get 2 for 30, 3 for 40, etc...

i figure a cd costs about $2 Hong Kong... the overhead is low and they sell LOTS of copies. few HKers buy legal games... therefore i conclude it is VERY profitable...
Old November 8, 2001, 03:14   #14
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by tleilaxu
most illegal games run for about $20 Hong Kong ($2.50 US). plus, you can get 2 for 30, 3 for 40, etc...

i figure a cd costs about $2 Hong Kong... the overhead is low and they sell LOTS of copies. few HKers buy legal games... therefore i conclude it is VERY profitable...
Prices are comming down. One place in Wanchai had 7 for $50. I guess the custom dudes aren't cracking down like they used to.

The cost of business would be higher than $2, but obviously it is a business where you can make money otherwise there wouldn't be so many people doing it.

Are these guys "nasty" as you put it? I don't know. The government line is that these demo makers are all evil triad members, but whether that is true is hard to say, or rather I haven't paid enough attention to see anything that really convinces me.
Old November 10, 2001, 05:10   #15
Tingkai
Prince

Nov. 10 - Just bought the Civ3 LE at Windsor House in C Bay for HK$320 (US$40). Ordinary edition selling for about $260 (IIRC).
Old November 11, 2001, 23:41   #16
tleilaxu
Chieftain

i think it's pretty clear that the people who are selling copyright infringed materials are definitely career criminals. I am also convinced that they use muscle tactics to prevent competition from small timers. The triads are involved in all kinds of smuggling... drugs, guns, slaves, babies... who knows what else... they definitely have their fingers in all the different jars. Money made from illegal games and CDs goes to pay off cops, buy guns, build mansions, etc...