Old October 31, 2001, 02:22   #1
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 10:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
First thoughts: Civ 3 is truly wonderful
Upon playing through to the industrial age as the Aztecs, I must say I am throughly impressed. The graphics are nice, the sound is truly excellent, and most importantly, the gameplay is insanely polished. The AI is excellent, even on Cheiftain level he is providing a fair challenge (and I am no push-over on Civ 2!). The battle system is great, the units seem perfectly balanced. Things that we once questioned, like the usefulness of the 1-1-2 Jaguar Warrior reveal their true usefulness with the powerful retreat ability. The tech chart is ingeniously designed and balanced. The wonder animations are nice. The new sarcastic comments from your advisors and foreign leaders are hillarious! We are talking stuff better than "Consequences schmenqunces!" and "OUR WORDS ARE BACKED WITH NUCLEAR WEAPONS!", if that is possible! I was expecting to be disappointed from the sounds of that avault review, but I can tell Sid and the crew really put a lot of hard work in this. The diplomacy options are highly realistic, I signed an alliance with Russia against Germany, and Russia actually sent quite a few troops over! There are a ton of diplomatic options, when you have the enemy backed into a corner they will beg for mercy like never before. All in all, this game is far better than I expected it to be. Granted, I have yet to finish even a single game, but I have seen nothing but positive things from this game thus far.
I think even Yin would be happy would be happy with this game! .
*ahem* Now...back to Civ!
Old October 31, 2001, 02:38   #2
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:36
Quote:
I think even Yin would be happy would be happy with this game!
Naw
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old October 31, 2001, 02:45   #3
RodLosAngeles
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:36
Neh
Old October 31, 2001, 05:43   #4
Roland Ehnström
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:36
Old October 31, 2001, 05:49   #5
Bane
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:36
I've enjoyed it too..what are your comp specs -- b/c you don't seem to house the same attitudes as many others

1.4G P4
64Meg Geforce2
Sound Blaster Live
Old October 31, 2001, 05:49   #6
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 17:36
He will not buy it until Sid publicly apologizes
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 31, 2001, 07:38   #7
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Besides all of what you said monk, one of the things that struck me as being very kewl/fun, was that ancient battles are possible, and quite in depth.

I was playing as the Babylonians, and since their UU comes rather early in the game, I decided I should use it promptly. So I did, and what followed was an amazing, yet simple, war that impacted the rest of the course of history.

I am truly amazed with this game..
Old October 31, 2001, 09:32   #8
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
Besides all of what you said monk, one of the things that struck me as being very kewl/fun, was that ancient battles are possible, and quite in depth.

I was playing as the Babylonians, and since their UU comes rather early in the game, I decided I should use it promptly. So I did, and what followed was an amazing, yet simple, war that impacted the rest of the course of history.

I am truly amazed with this game..
As am i. I think the ancient age is SOO much more interesting now, that you have to think about culture as well.. im playuing as the chineses, and im about to get the rider, but ive already had a golden age. All the (chieftan!) civs have more cities than me, but my culture is kicking their ass. so anyway, even on chieftan im being challenged, and im not that much of a pushover!
Old October 31, 2001, 09:37   #9
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Re: First thoughts: Civ 3 is truly wonderful
Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Upon playing through to the industrial age as the Aztecs, I must say I am throughly impressed. The graphics are nice, the sound is truly excellent, and most importantly, the gameplay is insanely polished. The AI is excellent, even on Cheiftain level he is providing a fair challenge (and I am no push-over on Civ 2!). The battle system is great, the units seem perfectly balanced. Things that we once questioned, like the usefulness of the 1-1-2 Jaguar Warrior reveal their true usefulness with the powerful retreat ability. The tech chart is ingeniously designed and balanced. The wonder animations are nice. The new sarcastic comments from your advisors and foreign leaders are hillarious! We are talking stuff better than "Consequences schmenqunces!" and "OUR WORDS ARE BACKED WITH NUCLEAR WEAPONS!", if that is possible! I was expecting to be disappointed from the sounds of that avault review, but I can tell Sid and the crew really put a lot of hard work in this. The diplomacy options are highly realistic, I signed an alliance with Russia against Germany, and Russia actually sent quite a few troops over! There are a ton of diplomatic options, when you have the enemy backed into a corner they will beg for mercy like never before. All in all, this game is far better than I expected it to be. Granted, I have yet to finish even a single game, but I have seen nothing but positive things from this game thus far.
I think even Yin would be happy would be happy with this game! .
*ahem* Now...back to Civ!
My favorite is when ghandi asks you if you want some chicken tandoori !
Old October 31, 2001, 09:40   #10
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 18:36
. Good post. I'm really happy with the AI, and this result is, BTW, no less than I expected. I'm drooling over the prospect to have the game.
Old October 31, 2001, 09:52   #11
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

I am convinced that if you gave Yin a gold plated version of the CIV3 LE version, handed to him by scantily clad, big-breasted Koren 20 year-olds, he'd still have something bad to say about CIV3.

I'm so glad to hear the people are having a rough go of it on the lower levels because I'm having that same experience. I'm playing at Warlord level, and the AI has been buggering me hard. I can usually keep up with them, but just barely. They expand very quickly.

One thing that I've learned is that if you're going to go to war, the best thing to do is mass your troops, and go for that blitzkig (spelling?) type of campain, because these long drawn-out wars are a killer (can be a killer on your culture if you fall behind).

The Great Library is a must!

If you build that, you can relax on the science a little and concentrate on other things.
Old October 31, 2001, 12:50   #12
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

I have a mid-ranged system and it runs perfectly
Celeron 550
320 megs 'O' RAM
Windows ME

Also, good point Annuikoba! It is great to finally engage in anchient warfare for once!
Old October 31, 2001, 13:30   #13
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 09:36
Nah, yin would only come around if Sid agrees to give him equal billing.
Old November 1, 2001, 04:25   #14
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 08:36
Re: First thoughts: Civ 3 is truly wonderful
Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
The diplomacy options are highly realistic, I signed an alliance with Russia against Germany, and Russia actually sent quite a few troops over!
This is awesome! I don't have the game yet but hearing stuff like this makes me want it more and more!!!!

Quote:

There are a ton of diplomatic options, when you have the enemy backed into a corner they will beg for mercy like never before.
Yes!! I used to love it in Civ2 when they would beg for mercy. It was even better in SMAC when you could make them grovel and serve you!!! he he he he..... And you say it's better in Civ3!!!! Excellent!..
Old November 1, 2001, 04:29   #15
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Steve: I know you think it's funny to keep harping in that way, but I never said anything remotely like what you keep trolling. However, the Civ Savior complex *post*-release is running a bit tired, eh?

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 1, 2001, 06:05   #16
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 08:36
I actually think this game is too good.

It has all the features civ2 should have had (which makes sense since the took fan input)

but I'm not sure the fun factor is there. its too early to tell though