Old October 31, 2001, 10:01   #1
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Dan M- what is up with research?
Something just doesn't seem to be adding up in the ancient era research rates.

But its been so long since I have played any CIV games besides SMAC, maybe I am missing something.

I guess what I want to know is- how is tech cost and research rate all calculated, and what exactly is the cerrelation to the costs listed in the editor?
Old October 31, 2001, 10:15   #2
SixArmedMan
Prince

Local Time: 11:38
Yeah... I'm wondering about this too. Writing, for example, always seems to cost me around 30 turns whether my science rate is at 10% 3 beakers, or 90% 12 beakers. I'm not sure how this is adding up. Wouldn't the strategy be to just put it at 10% and just buy tech from everyone else? I'm playing at monarch level.
Old October 31, 2001, 11:16   #3
VisionV
Settler

Local Time: 15:38
I had the same experience on Regent. I think it is due to perhaps a minumum research rate as long as you are spending money, because after I switched to Monarchy I was able to research faster by spending more money. In other words, with my initial wimpy cities I was not able to produce enough research to get techs faster than every 32 turns. I did set my research to 10% and research at the rate of every 32 turns which appears to be a minimum rate (as long as I spent at least some money). I used the cash I made to negotiate and did ok with techs. Once I went to Monarchy I was able to start getting techs a lot faster.
Old October 31, 2001, 11:47   #4
Ray K
Prince

Local Time: 10:38
Quote:
Originally posted by VisionV
I had the same experience on Regent. I think it is due to perhaps a minumum research rate as long as you are spending money, because after I switched to Monarchy I was able to research faster by spending more money. In other words, with my initial wimpy cities I was not able to produce enough research to get techs faster than every 32 turns. I did set my research to 10% and research at the rate of every 32 turns which appears to be a minimum rate (as long as I spent at least some money). I used the cash I made to negotiate and did ok with techs. Once I went to Monarchy I was able to start getting techs a lot faster.
Even faster with Republic!
Old October 31, 2001, 12:32   #5
Stretch
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:38
yes it defintely lookslike you have to get to monarchy or republic or ANYTHING if yuo want research to go along any faster than a snails pace.

Im going to ty researching direct for monarhcy, until I get there Im gonna build military and take what I can near me to get territory. Then when get the advance concentrate on some other things.

Sure wont be able to stay on a war footing at all times...
Old October 31, 2001, 12:57   #6
Ray K
Prince

Local Time: 10:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Stretch
yes it defintely lookslike you have to get to monarchy or republic or ANYTHING if yuo want research to go along any faster than a snails pace.
Playing the Greeks, I start out with Bronze Making and Alphabet.

So, right from the start, I can already build my UU (hoplites) and have one of the five advances needed for the Republic.

Sweet!