Old October 31, 2001, 22:18   #31
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 09:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Döbeln_2001

What you running? Just got off a 3-hour session without instability, running Win XP. Just curious...

Regards / Döbeln 2001
Win98. I also have 2000 installed, but don't really use it. The computer has an Athlon 850 CPU, 256MB SDRAM, and TNT2 32MB AGP Video Card. Is this what you wanted to know?
Old October 31, 2001, 22:57   #32
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 15:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Reynolds
I'll wait until it becomes shareware.
Good advice.
Old November 1, 2001, 10:43   #33
RobRoy
Warlord

Did Brian Reynolds post some reactions to the game?

Were they in this thread?

I can't seem to find anything like your quote.
Old November 1, 2001, 11:24   #34
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 17:38
Do people complain about the absence of scenario tools because they just want to complain about the absence of scenario tools.

Or do they complain because they do really care about scenario's ?
I mean, who needs scenarios ? They suck anyway.
I'm happy Firaxis didn't waste any time creating scenarios.

I HATE it to step into a civ that's already build by someone else.
The only fun you can have with civ is by starting it from 4000 BC and by building it up yourself.

Same with MP. Do people complain about the absence of MP because........
Of course I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it if there would be MP support ! But hey, it doesn't really matter much if it's not there.
The hours of sp games I played against the hours of mp games I played might be 10404893 : 304

It's most important that the CORE game is fine.
And it seems to be. Since I hear majority of the people talking about a stable game I guess that the people that have an unstable game have incapable machines.

CyberShy
Old November 1, 2001, 12:00   #35
RobRoy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy
Do people complain about the absence of scenario tools because they just want to complain about the absence of scenario tools.

I HATE it to step into a civ that's already build by someone else.
The only fun you can have with civ is by starting it from 4000 BC and by building it up yourself.
Do people post offensive nonsense because they just want to post offensive nonsense?

Or do people post offensive nonsense because they genuinely can't understand that different people may have slightly different opinions and priorities?

As to who needs scenarios, Firaxis does. In my opinion they are the primary reason CivII has been such a long-lived game. Most people who've had the game for awhile have long ago figured out how to beat the AI, consistently, in a standard game, several different ways. Scenarios (and MP, by the way) dramatically expanded the game's possibilities.

The "they suck anyway" comment reflects poorly on you, and suggests that perhaps you've never tried any of the amazingly good (no...great) scenarios that have been developed over the years. Of course, if you've basing your opinion on the scenarios released by Microprose, I'd also give them fairly low marks, but even among those there were some that were initially interesting.
Old November 1, 2001, 12:23   #36
Max Webster
Prince

Local Time: 10:38
I'm happy with the game so far, still got alot of playing to do yet.

Nice post Hex

I can't wait till you get it and give your opinion, getting tired of reading mainly crap thats posted on these boards.
Old November 1, 2001, 12:27   #37
Steve Clark
King

Quote:
Originally posted by RobRoy
As to who needs scenarios, Firaxis does. In my opinion they are the primary reason CivII has been such a long-lived game. Most people who've had the game for awhile have long ago figured out how to beat the AI, consistently, in a standard game, several different ways. Scenarios (and MP, by the way) dramatically expanded the game's possibilities.
Truer words have not ever been spoken this week than this. For those that believe this, come join us in Civ3-Creation. Ideas, thoughts and some tests have already begun, as well as input to Firaxis on what would be an ideal set of tools to help us.
Old November 1, 2001, 13:55   #38
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

RobRoy,

If people like scenarios, I really hope FIRAXIS will release a patch that makes it possible to create them !
But right now people are complaining BIG about little things.

The complaining overhere at the forums is really pathatic !
Again, I'm sad there's no MP. I really am sad about that.
But I'm not going to complain about it.

The civ3 core game is important !
The rest of it is........... less important and for sure not important enough to complain loud out in 60% of the currently available threads.

CS
Old November 1, 2001, 14:19   #39
TheXerox
Settler

Unstable..?
Quote:
Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh

Uhhhh.... No. Certainly not true. Most unstable game I have bought for my pc in the last 2 years, actually.

-FMK.
You obviously never bought WWII Online.. now that was a cluster F*** !
Old November 1, 2001, 14:39   #40
Spatzimaus
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh
Well I have. It's incomplete and unstable.
"Incomplete" I'll agree with. No real scenarios, missing features in the editor (the ability to place cities/units is critical), and multiplayer (which I don't really care about) are big things to leave out.

But "unstable" I disagree with completely. I'm in my third game now, with probably 24 hours played so far, and it hasn't crashed for me ONCE. Okay, a half hour after I quit the program to go get dinner Windows had an error, but I'm not sure that's Civ's fault.

And what's with this "I haven't seen anyone with a decent reputation as a player post a review yet" bit? How do you get a decent reputation in a single-player game? Make mods/scenarios? Sure, some people will be well-known from websites/boards and multiplayer games, but last I checked Civ 3 didn't have multiplayer and posting a lot on a board doesn't make you good at the game. Don't discount people's opinions just because you've never heard of them.
Old November 1, 2001, 16:09   #41
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 12:38
Cybershy, Civ2 was released in, what, 1995/6? And people are still playing it and still working on it consistently... who are playing and working on it? Those who are making/playing scenarios and those who are arranging multiplayer games. I'd do a poll to see how long people have played sp standard games and I'd bet that the majority played standard games for a year at most before switching to scenarios and multiplayer when it came out. I haven't played a standard game since 1998 on civ2. I've been playing and making scenarios instead, since the AI is easy to beat by now.

You "they suck anyway" comment makes you look like really narrowminded... have you ever played any of the great scenarios?
Old November 1, 2001, 16:24   #42
Green Giant
Warlord

To play it, people would have to buy it. Why would someone spend $50 on something which is widely reported to be incomplete, just to find out for themselves? Its self defeating, Firaxis now has your money, beyond that they couldn't care less.
Old November 1, 2001, 16:37   #43
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Am I the only one who hasn't had Civ3 crash on them?

Really, what's up with your systems (or your users) that could make something so unstable?

Are you running Windows 95 on a K6 or something?
Old November 1, 2001, 18:53   #44
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

Quote:
Cybershy, Civ2 was released in, what, 1995/6? And people are still playing it and still working on it consistently... who are playing and working on it? Those who are making/playing scenarios and those who are arranging multiplayer games. I'd do a poll to see how long people have played sp standard games and I'd bet that the majority played standard games for a year at most before switching to scenarios and multiplayer when it came out. I haven't played a standard game since 1998 on civ2. I've been playing and making scenarios instead, since the AI is easy to beat by now.
I think majority kept on playing normal games.
Pherhaps 10% of the total number played scenarios. But again, I make up these numbers myself
You're free to start a poll over it !

I did play civ2 usual game until 5 months ago. Then civ3 came to close to concentrate on civ2

Again, I agree that it's a pitty that the tools aren't provided with the game. But it's not a major thing. For sure not since they'll patch that later.

Quote:
You "they suck anyway" comment makes you look like really narrowminded...
you're right on that. I apologize. (did I write that right ?)
I should've said, I think they suck anyway.
Not because the quantity of the scenarios is bad. But just because nothing beats a normal game of civ. (To me)

Quote:
have you ever played any of the great scenarios?
I did. I've downloaded hundreds of them, but didn't like any. Just because I prefer the normal game.

The point I want to make is that I understand your feelings, but I wonder if it's worth to complain about it that hard. For sure since for the next couple of months / years most players will have enough fun to play the normal game.

When people will get bored with civ3 (:confused I'm sure they'll have the scenario editors patched already. (add on pack )

CS
Old November 1, 2001, 19:26   #45
Delthayre
Settler

Stability
I had one crash about 90 minutes in. Of course I had been using my system intensley prior to installing it and didn't restart after install, so a lack of free RAM was probably the cause.
Old November 1, 2001, 19:56   #46
Hose
Settler

Local Time: 07:38
Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy
you're right... i played all the civ, ctp, smac and whatever versions... i never played a scenario!! why?
what i like about the civ-concept is the empire building stuff and not just fighting a battle or a war... i wanna start from the scratch and fight to the top...

for me, the editor gives (most) functionalities i need to change my empire building configurations... events??? i don't care!!!
Old November 1, 2001, 21:27   #47
Bane
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:38
Re: Unstable..?
Quote:
Originally posted by TheXerox

You obviously never bought WWII Online.. now that was a cluster F*** !
LOL!! Howabout Anarchy Online....
Old November 2, 2001, 08:06   #48
eRAZOR
Chieftain

Re: You left the coop early and got your head chopped off
Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda
The reviewers, again, have shown that they aren't fit to poor pee out of a boot with the instructions written on the bottom.

Where's there's smoke there is fire, and I've smelled the same variety of smoke before with Call to Power.

I can already sense that Civ3 is a real stinker simply because the developers "just had" to make that deadline. Ship now, patch later. I've heard this before and I'm certainly fed up with the notion.

They even had a pre-existing engine to go from and they still couldn't deliver multiplayer OR decent scenario support! What the hell!

I saw this coming with CtP but was dumb enough to buy the game anyway! Activision corrected their errors in CtP2, but Firaxis simply repeated them all over again!

Why in the hell should I buy Civ3, when I'd be far better off waiting for Civ3: The Expansion that's going to come a year from now when the game is actually finished?!?!

Excuse me, but I'm pretty pissed off about this!
I was waiting a long time for this game but unfortunately I have to totally agree. The game looks rushed exactly in the "release now patch later" that is spreading among publishers like a dissease being Infogrames and EA the worst of the pack. Anyway there is a ton of things to like about Civ3 but a ton to dislike as well. What I dislike is the very fast paced gameplay (not configurable) that somehow indicates to me that the developers were trying to make it more RTS like to please a more general audience. But my biggest complaint is the lack of wonder movies. As someone else on this forums already noted: Building a wonder is a major achievment for your civilization and should be honored with more than a static picture. I could continue for a while but I realize that soon someone will come up with a post like: This is your first post so your opinion aint worth s***.
Old November 2, 2001, 08:50   #49
Sikander
King

Local Time: 08:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Spatzimaus

But "unstable" I disagree with completely. I'm in my third game now, with probably 24 hours played so far, and it hasn't crashed for me ONCE. Okay, a half hour after I quit the program to go get dinner Windows had an error, but I'm not sure that's Civ's fault.
FYI instability is like cancer. Just because you don't have it (in 24 hours of play anyway) doesn't mean that there is not too much of it.

Asher wrote,

"Am I the only one who hasn't had Civ3 crash on them?

Really, what's up with your systems (or your users) that could make something so unstable?

Are you running Windows 95 on a K6 or something?"

I've had one crash, boom right to the desktop without so much as a 'by your leave', and I've had the game hang when I was trying to quit. And I'm running 98 SE on a P3 600 w/128 meg of ram. The game is a real hog too, it starts to run slowly once there is even a little bit going on onscreen.

I'm trying to get my 3 year old desktop to run the program without luck, it just crashes to the desktop from the opening game menu. Hopefully there will be some patches to get this stuff fixed. I'm sure that some of it is hardware / driver specific, but it would be nice to play it on my big computer without having to buy a new graphics card or whatever.
Old November 2, 2001, 09:00   #50
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 16:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander

FYI instability is like cancer. Just because you don't have it (in 24 hours of play anyway) doesn't mean that there is not too much of it.
That's true, though your analogy isn't very tasteful.
Old November 2, 2001, 09:44   #51
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Am I the only one who hasn't had Civ3 crash on them?
Nope, Runs fine for me. No crashes. I'm using a P3 500, 126 RAM, Geforce2MX ect...

Scroll jumps instead of scrolls, but it is not slow. The only other problem is that the turns can take a long time with a huge map and lots of civs.... but so did civ2 way back when I had a P 90.
Old November 2, 2001, 10:01   #52
mtgillespie
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Instability:

FACT: All games that come out are unstable on some peoples machines. The problem is that it is simply impossible to check out a game on all configurations of processor, memory, video card etc. etc.

However, to the people who have these instabilities, it is a huge deal, as it completely spoils their gaming experience. And because someone has a problem, it doesn't mean their system is crap, merely that the combination of their system and the game is not great. Look at the slow scrolling problem. It appears that the biggest cause of this was that people's video drivers were too new !

Too all the people experiencing problems, all i can say is, don't judge the game on whether it crashes. Get in touch with tech support, and judge Firaxis/Infogrames on how helpful they are at fixing your problem.
Old November 2, 2001, 13:48   #53
Cougz
Settler

Local Time: 07:38
This is for all the people unhappy with civ3, including the ones who haven't even bought it, and also for everyone who is enjoying the game...

A few years ago some doctors conducted a psychological experiment. They found two boys, one was always happy and cheery , the other was always unhappy, moping around .

They put the happy boy in a room filled with nothing but horse manure and locked the door.

They put the unhappy boy in a room filled with toys and games and candy and birthday cake, you name it, if it was fun, it was in there, and locked the door.

They left them like that for four hours.

Then they went to check on the unhappy boy. He was sitting in the middle of the room crying his little eyes out, surrounded by all this fun. One doctor knelt down and ask him what was wrong. He replied "With all these toys and games and food around, I don't know what to do first."

Amazed, the doctors went to the other room and opened the door. The happy boy was jumping around the room, scooping up manure and chucking it at the walls, laughing all the way. The doctors stopped him and asked what on earth he was doing. "With all this horse manure there most be a pony around here somewhere!!" He laughed.

There seems to be two types of people on this board, those who keep finding the bad, and those who know that nothing is perfect and want to have fun anyway.

And while civ3 is far better than horse manure, I just found a pony!!! I'm gonna make me some horsemen!!!