Old October 31, 2001, 23:49   #31
November Adam
Prince

Local Time: 08:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
As a person who hasn't purchased the games I like to see what the "trivial" little quirps are about a game. What may trivial for you may be important for another. This helps the consumer such as myself decide if I want to buy now or wait till a patch comes out. Plus everyone complains about things they don't like, get a grip. Yes these are one persons gripes, if you don't want to read them look some where else. Besides you will probably be gripping about something else later, feeling totaly justified in your expressing yourself.

It's to bad about the movies, they were a reward system, an extra touch for that one more turn. Sure they were turned off or skipped over after a while but they were a nice touch.

Regarding graphics, while many people say gameplay is more important, which is true, the graphics are the window through which you view the game. I mean you stare at them the whole time, they should be eye pleasing. Now from the game shots I've seen the graphics look ok, but the colour pallette is off (IMO), so it seems to muddy the whole screen. Plus the units while very detailed tend to be confusing. With CTP2 love it or hate it, the units were easy to make out.
Old November 1, 2001, 00:56   #32
Drefsab
Warlord

Local Time: 15:39
About the wonder movies
I was still playing Civ II last week (4 years now) and I still watch the following movies:

Leonardo's workshop
Manhattan Project
UN
Apollo

Seriously, the UN movie gives me a bit of the chills every time I watch it. I think the wonder movies are one of the coolest "perks" in Civ II.

I know, let's sneak the Civ II wonder movies into Civ III where applicable
Old November 1, 2001, 00:59   #33
splangy
Prince

Local Time: 10:39
I was Reading through this thread and saw this, and didn't read any farther. So if what I say now sounds odd, thats why.

Quote:
Step 2: Test the game for us. If you can, please fix the MP code, the missing editor features, sloppy graphics coding, etc. We saw this was possible with the CtP code ... and we hope to live up to the CtP standard.
Mp code=Fix the Mp code? I thought you said it didn't exist,
Missing Editor Features= Ummm, they already anounced that they were going to listen to what we wanted. Well have to see if they follow through.
Sloppy Graphics= The graphics are amazing from what I heard and saw, but of course I should beleive you becouse you dont have the game. (or did you buy it just like you promised you wouldn't )
Ctp= I haven't got a clue what your saying here so I wont even TRY to decipher that.

Quote:
Step 3: Pay an additional $35 for the "real" Civ 3, which will be called an 'X-Pack,' which is just hip FIRAXIS talk for "Passable Product." Don't worry: The fools who didn't already join the Beta Program won't have the previous version so they can't install the X-Pack! They'll have to wait MONTHS to get the game that way! LOL! Hey, you're a beta tester ... you deserve a bone.
Now I have a feeling your not a 14yr old but this DEFINETLY contradicts my theory. Fraxis IS a company, Companys do try to make money, its a little thing called CAPITALISM...

Quote:
Step 4: In the future, rush to buy anything we throw out the door, no matter how obviously rushed the game is or no matter how we will undoubtedly lie to your face and purposely keep you misinformed so we can rip a few more dollars from you. And if people say any of the bugs are our fault, you will be required to say: "Hey, INFOGRAMES made all the decisions!" Because, as we know, Sid is God.
"Lie to your face and purposely keep you misinformed"
They never said Mp would be in, they never said what the Editor had in it. I think you need to stop Raping this subject...

"Hey, INFOGRAMES made all the decisions!" Because, as we know, Sid is God"
Funny, Infrogames DOES make all the Decisions, again Fraxis is a company and if it has a deadline, it has to follow it. Sid isn't god, but we all know yin is because he can spam the same thing over and over again and has alot of posts.

Not to be an @hole but why cant you get a life? Are you really that sad? Do you want to explain why your not content with 1 or 2 posts but simply must say the same thing over and over? You DONT have the game (acording to the 150+ posts that you wrote saying "I wont buy the game till it has MP") but somehow you an say that archers can shoot down Nukes, and that the game has sloppy graphics(I find this especially amusing considering you were always the person saying "Gameplay over graphics"). I find it unbeleivable your on a FAN site Whining about a game that YOU DONT HAVE! How do you get any followers? I am simply in awe of how someone as ignorant as you can have a following! Im all for free speach but cant believe you post such dribble? And somehow it gets a positive response! You cant be "Dumb" because you post intelligent things every now and then. Do you expect to get a responce from the game!?!? Do you know that you sound idiotic but just post because you get a kick out of watching the responces?

I HIGHLY doubt you will post a response because you never do. I will probably be called a troll etc because what I say contradicts what you say and no one wants to get into a actual discusion, its much "cooler" to just come up with some witty, half-assed response. I dont really care. Ive learned long ago that whatever is said here has NO impact on my life and if this game (Its not the second coming of christ, its a GAME, not worth ruining your life over) fails or rises to the point were it gets a colt following, it still has no effect on me. Somthing that ALOT of people here need to learn.
Old November 1, 2001, 02:01   #34
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:39
Quote:
They really made me feel that the game was more than just something made in some nerd's basement. SMAC short, crappy movies reflected a short, crappy game.
Hmmm, I thought SMAC's movies were MUCH better than Civ2's, by far.

And it seems Civ3's complaints are the same as the ones for Civ2... you know the one with 6 patches .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 1, 2001, 02:17   #35
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Splangy: All I want from life is peace, love and blue berry muffins. Is it so much to ask?! By the way, I always love the guys who follow around the 'loser' calling him a 'loser.'

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 1, 2001, 02:23   #36
Imran Siddiqui
staff

blueberry muffins?

That beats sex?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old November 1, 2001, 02:27   #37
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Ooops. *HOT* blue berry muffins!

Old November 1, 2001, 02:31   #38
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Ahhhh, see, that makes all the difference .
Old November 1, 2001, 02:33   #39
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Imran, on top of everything else amazing about you, you are also a man who knows his HOT blueberry muffins. Buddy: Permanent peace bewteen us!

Old November 1, 2001, 02:49   #40
Imran Siddiqui
staff

But I'm still getting Civ3 .

I'll even tell you about it .
Old November 1, 2001, 02:50   #41
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 09:39
Blueberry muffins?
Give me...warm apple pie any day.

Oh, and BTW, it was not released too early.
It was just in time for my midterms! Now I'm going to fail everything, all right!
Old November 1, 2001, 03:05   #42
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

That apple pie scene was hilarious! (but muffins leave less of a trail).

Imran: So far, Korn's review is looking good. That's all the government will let me say at this point.

Old November 1, 2001, 03:11   #43
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Damn government!

That is why I'm a Libertarian .

And yes, Korn's impressions are looking pretty good.
Old November 1, 2001, 11:40   #44
rockville
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:39
Well, the point of my post, and I'm sorry if it wasn't clear, was not to say "bad Firaxis/Infogrames, no wonder movies" because:

1. I've said it before
2. There are plenty of people who don't care about wonder movies.

My point was to compare the release of Civ 3 and SMAC.

Civ 3:

1. Out before holiday season
2. Missing certain "extras" that some of us are used to

SMAC:

1. Delayed until February
2. Had a lot of nice extras, including cool wonder movies.

Now, obviously, there were SMAC issues, but those always seemed to me divided into two parts (I guess I'm in outline mode today):

1. Graphics issues - they seemed to lowball the minimum system requirements, so graphics were, um, sub-par
2. Patch issues - who knows why, but they could not (or would not) fix certain annoying issues with SMAC

but upon release, SMAC seemed much more "polished" than Civ 3.

I, for one, wish they had waited to release Civ3. I think they missed a chance to make a truly special game, and instead made a really good one. There's nothing wrong with making a really good game. I wish I could make one. And you might not care about wonder movies, or multiplayer, or scenarios, but a lot of us do. I just wish that Firaxis waited three months to make the rest of us satisfied too.