Old November 1, 2001, 15:49   #61
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 16:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: here's a big change
Quote:
Originally posted by korn469
ok after playing last night for around 10 hours straight here is something i have noticed

although the combat system seems similar to the one found in civ2/smac...it is really fundamentally a different system, not in the way it operates but the way they balanced it

civ3: korean war quick thrusts followed by bloody war of attrition
Sounds like August 14 to me.

I always liked WWI style battles. This could be my game, after all.
Old November 1, 2001, 16:19   #62
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 10:40
Re: first impressions
Quote:
Originally posted by korn469
i have a p2 400, 128mb ram, 32mb ati radeon, 4x dvd drive
Kick ass, someone with my exact system specs. How's it playing? Other then the turn delay (I expected that, our computers are pretty slow by today's standards) any slow down problems? Are the graphics slow? What about scrolling issues? Is anything jerky?

I'm real worried not about compatibility but such horrible jerkiness that I won't be able to play the game out of annoyance.
Old November 1, 2001, 22:32   #63
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 16:40
Korn, in another thread the following problems were mentioned:

-When AI captures one of my workers it sends it home in a random way, regardless of where my units are. Let's say he could have easily evaded my units by entering square 1, 2 or 3. He couldn't care less. Moreover, he could have protected the worker by keeping it stacked below the pikeman who just "liberated" it. Uhhuh.

-The AI doesn't care much about taking the higher grounds. He'll plant your troops right where you can easily attack them instead of planting them on the mountain right next to the city he is about to attack (or so he thinks ) Same point is valid for combat not involving attacks on a city (in the bush-bush)

-Do you want to get that naughty enemy unit away from that certain square? I have an excellent sharkbait strategy for you! Just put a worker next to it... He won't be able to resist it. Combined with the first point I made you can thus make him leave a certain spot, get your worker back (although it's probably not yours anyway ) and whoop his ass as you just made him move away from hills or a jungletile.

But wait, there's more! It's amazing Mike!

-Need some extra time to fortify that certain city? Let's say you have a warrior (1-1-1) inside your city, fortified. And there's this dastardly swordsman just waiting outside for the booty. Send out a worker and make him magically dissuade from making an obvious victory.

If you thought that was all, think again! You get these wonderful bugs for free with your order!

-A civ that wants to expand will place it on that one tile where your borders -just- don't reach it. It's -Very- irritating to have to kick their butts of my continent every 15 turns. Surprisingly enough, they name the city the same every time!

-If you're military superior to another civilization you can make war with it, take over 1 city, make it sign a peace treaty in which it gives you plenty of Euro's, a tech if he has one you don't have, his world map, 2 or 3 workers and if you really stepped on his toe even a small town. Then, let your units heal for a turn, put 'em in front of the next city, the civ will ask you to leave, you say you will in a instant, you "sneak"attack him, take over the city, sign a peace treaty, etc. etc. etc. Makes me kinda sad... It seems to me the only 'moods' a civ can be in vs. the player are furious, cautious and polite. The AI doesn't seem to remember that you're absolutely not trustworthy.

Can you look into this?
Old November 2, 2001, 00:43   #64
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 11:40
Wow. Europa Universalis 2 is looking awfully good right now. Honestly, I can't stand an AI that forces you to 'play nice' just so you get a challenge. In EU, there are all kinds of balances if you just keep taking territories.

I wonder if any of the people at Firaxis played EU?

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.