Old June 25, 2000, 06:46   #1
AkwaticDudeCity
Warlord

Local Time: 00:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Events
To finish the scenario i'm making, i want to include some events;
1- When tech is stolen from the protagonist, i want the civ to declare war on the thief no matter what. It seems if the thief is from a democracy, theft does not always lead to a declaration of war. Is it possible to make 'tech theft' related events?
2- When the protagonist's capital falls, this is THE objective for the scenario, i want the empire to split in one loyal and three rebel factions with designated cities for each faction. Is this possible? Oh, and yes, the empire includes three conquered and destroyed civs' cities.

------------------
ugh crud, why won't they fall prey to my Machiavellian schemes?
Old June 25, 2000, 10:28   #2
Cam
King

Local Time: 09:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
On (1.)...

There's a pretty fair chance of war happening so long as the thief is the human player, but nonetheless this is not the solution you're after.

It's a bit disappointing that you've got to the finish (Ottock? ) of your scenario authoring, as the method I propose will require quite a bit of restructuring if you want to give it a shot.

You will need to create a separate technology tree for the protagonist tribe, or at least one that contains a different tech' tree 'to be researched' from the game's commencement than the other tribes.

You will also have to prevent negotiations between the protagonist and the other tribes to avoid technology exchanges (and to a lesser extent turn off 'tech by conquest') also for it to work in its purist form.

Then fill your events file with...

If received technology... technology = (advances researched by other tribes)... then make aggression... who = (all tribes will need to be named)... whom = protagonist tribe.

The result of this (apart from a very full events file) will be that every time the protagonist acquires an advance that they cannot research, trade, or access by conquest (i.e. they must thieve to get it), all other tribes declare war on the protagonist. The problem being that the event structure does not indicate from which tribe the technology was stolen, so in light of lack of other options, have every tribe declare war.

It will require a fair amount of messing around, and as before, will take up a fair chunk of your events file, as you will need to make a separate event for each tribe and each technology.

On top of that, certain technology slots have special effects on the game, so these too must be borne in mind when setting up such a system. I refer to you the Scenario League's Design Tips for advice on special advance slots and building divergent tech' trees if you are unfamiliar with these matters.

Perhaps someone else might have another suggestion?

As for (2.)... errr...
Old June 25, 2000, 15:52   #3
Leao

I have a suggestion for your second question.
You could separate three civilizations to be the rebels of your scenario, and give each one of them a single small isolated city unable to grow futher ( you can protect it from conquest using impassible terrain ). Forbid them to develop new technologies but future ones ( close their tech tree ), so they won´t be able to build any units, wonders or city improvements. Them, at the onset of the Capitol´s fall, you can use events to create lots of units belonging to those rebel civilizations next to the cities you want them to conquer, and provide them some new technologies to allow further development and military build up. The remaining cities would be the loyal faction. After all, you put a text event to explain the whole political situation. I believe this is the closest possible solution to your problem. Of course, this is going to be a lot of work !

Old June 25, 2000, 18:30   #4
Eternal
King

Local Time: 19:07
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I agree that both of those ideas are probably the only way to work it. You'll probably need a seperate events file for the second- that way you can negotiate for the first part and later parts of the game.

And it shouldn't be too hard. Creating all the units will take up lots of events space, but all you have to do is copy and paste them all in there.