Old November 1, 2001, 14:34   #1
Matte979
Warlord

Local Time: 15:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
CIV2 vs CIV3 for Potentional Buyers
This is not a review, But I feel some idea here stating Civ3 is not good should be put down. First I am a long time Civer and Empire
player, I don't play multiplayer much as I don't have the schedule to do that. I don't post much but I read alot. Played 6 games of Civ3 not to the end though to much trying of stuff. But approx 20 hours of game time.

First there was a review saying Civ3 was like Civ2.. hmm this guy
don't know what he is talking about. It playes the same but gameplay is diffrent and AI is diffrent thats whats count in this game. Had to restart alot of time because things have changed.

AI is bad?.. No way! Sure we probly will find some problems that need to be solved. But this AI kicks ass compared to Civ2. It expands quick, do not make stupid deals with you, like trading maps when they really don't need your map but you need theirs.
This is when playing on King.
And it suggests deals when it needs it no passive things there.. Just keep them happy though.. :-)

Some other areas.

Interface. New and much better. Very Clean. Not perfect but good.

Music and Sound... This is not the best music i have heard but fits good to a game of this type. Civ2 music was bad so can't really compare. Sound i give it 9 of 10..Good sound.
Hint. In the beging of the game music is mostly drums which can be bad, but build a few units and it changes. Very nice idea.

Art, Looks great and clean i say perfect for a game of this type.
(Maybe darker oceans but no big thing)

Compability. Good, I have read there are some problems and I feel for those people. But had no problem on my 3 diffrent computers. WinXP, Win2000, WinMe, 700 PII, 700 Athlon, 1400 Athlon.

Replayability ENORMOUS as usual.. I allready have atleast 20 possibly games i want to try.

Problems..

World Map and Editor.

I always play World map with original start location. This was sadly not included and the world map is bad but we are hundreds that can make a better one. Editor not even a Beta product.. I got initialy pretty upset but seems firaxis allready knew this and will fix it. Patience is a virtue my friends..

I think people should be more patient overall.

The first impression conclusion. This is the my best game since civ2 for this type of games. You have the same feeling of Power, one more turn and control over your military and nation. You are once more the EMPEROR. And it feels polished compared to huge disapointment like the CTP genre and TOT.

Have fun
/Mathias

Last edited by Matte979; November 1, 2001 at 14:50.
Old November 1, 2001, 14:42   #2
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 09:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This is the most important thing a Civ2 player needs to know about Civ3 (re: AI)...

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=31585