Old November 2, 2001, 00:06   #1
Grunthex
Warlord

Local Time: 08:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AI Expansion drive - too strong?
The expansion drive of the AI is great, no doubt about it. You can't pen them in anymore, and if you're not diligent they WILL out-city you.

The only problem is it seems the AI puts TOO much emphasis on it, to the extent of massively ignoring it's infrastructure. Not map-structures, it does ok with roads mines and such, but In-ctiy buildings. Ok, I'm only on Warlord, but Soren said in one of the General forum threads that the AI doesn't change it's 'intellect' by difficulty level.

I'm up to 700 AD, and it seems All the civs, even the peaceful ones, would rather build military units (and never declare war on anyone), and settlers to found a city in the arctic or dense jungle (love the terrain generation, now that I'm getting used to it!) rather than build ANYTHING in their cities. The Aztecs are the most advanced civ in my game. They don't fight anyone. But their cities have NOTHING in them, except possible a temple.

No barracks for veteran units (though it churns out units, not sure where they GO without wars), no libraries, no marketplaces... it seems once you survive the Ancient Age, just having the buildings needed for your cities to function (temples, courthouse, libraries) will cause you to systematically assimilate EVERYTHING.
Old November 2, 2001, 02:37   #2
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 15:48
Not true...AIs are wonder crazy too, especially on Regent, where I'm at now...and they have to be building some improvements, like temples, libraries, coliseums, cathedrals, etc., because their culture rivals mine...
Old November 2, 2001, 08:05   #3
BLackraven42
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:48
Sometimes this drive can be very good for you. I once took over half the French cities because of their stupidity. When they would stick cities right in the middle of my territory, My cuture would overpower them an I would take over that city. (Now hows that for peaceful warfare) and so then the cities would come crumbling down one by one due to my culture and I could fight the russians a t the same time.

An old saying goes "For every language a man knows, he is that many times a man"
Therefore, George Bush is half a man.
Old November 2, 2001, 18:06   #4
Green Giant
Warlord

Local Time: 09:48
Heck no its not too strong. It adds challenge and the fun of having to come from behind instead of being vastly ahead of everyone. I like it. Now the question of whether the AI is cheating to expand so much so fast is a different story.
Old November 2, 2001, 19:49   #5
David Floyd
Emperor

The AI isn't cheating because in my current game on Regent I am either matching or beating everyone on my continent in expansion...
Old November 2, 2001, 19:50   #6
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:48
The AI beats me to almost all the wonders. I have gotten a few cities to culture defection though.
Old November 3, 2001, 06:52   #7
Lord Maxwell
Prince

Too bad there are no early city improvements that increase production. It would be alot easier to beat the AI then. His cities are all too often empty. (In some he builds culture, others have been empty since the start. Producing the occasional military unit that is never used.)

What is most interesting is that the AI doesn't notice that the map is full. I currently play on a tiny map, and I know for a fact that there isn't a land square left in the game that isn't inside a citys production radius. (Well, actually there is one three square tundra island off my coast...) So I wonder what he is going to do with all these little groups of warrior/settler that are walking the earth?