Old November 2, 2001, 00:16   #1
n.c.
Emperor

Local Time: 10:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm this close to taking the game back
I loved Civ II. Between taking the bar exam and starting a job I did little else. After that I would go home at lunch to play. My wife got seriously jealous of the game. Hopefully you get the point.

I enjoyed SMAC even more. It had what Civ II didn't: build queueseues (sp?), borders, separate colonist & worker, resource collectors, endless unit designs with really cool features, and so on.

Civ III could have been really simple: add the improvements from SMAC plus a few other concepts. But no.

I won't give a long discussion of the many failures, both because it's late and my heart is breaking. However, there is one that really matters, one that makes all the others merely annoying.

All I really wanted was to play with civs in their correct place on a realistic map. You know, recreate history (seems like I read that somwhere). Neither happed.

So I think I'll get my $ back and pray that some other company does SMAC II.
Old November 2, 2001, 00:35   #2
randomturn
Prince

Local Time: 15:48
nc, I've played this game for 3 days straight. THere have been times when I was afraid it was actually CTP3 rather than Civ 3. But now that I'm beginning to change my play style I'm really enjoying it. As for your map, I'll make you one as soon as they patch the map editor (doesn't allow you to place units or cities. In other words, it's currently useless). Cheers.
Old November 2, 2001, 00:51   #3
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 01:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
All I really wanted was to play with civs in their correct place on a realistic map. You know, recreate history (seems like I read that somwhere). Neither happed.
I'm glad I'm not alone in viewing this as a critical mistake on the part of Firaxis. Frankly, if they can't get this simple thing right, I don't trust them for the rest.

I am deeply thankful that this game has not yet been released in Australia - I am disappointed that Civ III has turned out like this, but at least I am not $90 out of pocket.

On the bright side - maybe in a year when the mod crowd have have rectified Firaxis' ineptitude, I might get to play this game with some degree of pleasure.

Bkeela.
Old November 2, 2001, 00:56   #4
Matte979
Warlord

There is a great new world map out there. And Firaxis have said they will add the possiblity to chose starting locations in the next patch end of November.. i thought the same thing as i play only the world map with diffrent civs. But i tried a random map and realised they can be really great.. If only the AI wouldn't be that effective.. Next time i will kick there butt.

I love how armies look diffrent through the ages i love how fortresses look diffrent.. Damn i wannt to play again why do humans need to sleep and work... But soon its CIV weekend.

/Mathias
Old November 2, 2001, 01:53   #5
donarumo
Warlord

Yes, the ability to create historically accurate starting locations for scenarios will be there. They were under pressure to release the game as is before Novemeber.

My recomendation - Keep the game till Chistmas. If you don't like it then, give it to someone as a present - heck donate it as charity and write off the $45.00.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)
Old November 2, 2001, 03:43   #6
cyril25376
Warlord

Local Time: 17:48
Re: I'm this close to taking the game back
Quote:
Originally posted by n.c.
So I think I'll get my $ back and pray that some other company does SMAC II.
If you really want to sell it, I am interested in buying.
Old November 2, 2001, 04:09   #7
El hidalgo
Warlord

Local Time: 09:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Bkeela

I'm glad I'm not alone in viewing this as a critical mistake on the part of Firaxis. Frankly, if they can't get this simple thing right, I don't trust them for the rest.
I feel the same way. In fact I cancelled my preorder at Amazon. I will wait until the patch. But that's all right, I believe that Firaxis will get it right... eventually. At least that's the hope. Till then I'll leave my money in the bank.
Old November 2, 2001, 19:03   #8
n.c.
Emperor

Local Time: 10:48
rt- Thanks for the offer! You are very kind. I have until next week to return the game; maybe there will be a lot of progress by then.

Bleeka- I have seen our complaint on many threads.

cyril25376- It cost me $64 US (it's the LE). Send me a PM if you are interested.

El h- Smart move. With the few games I've bought in the past I've always waited until a few patchs were installed. Sadly I bought into the whole "LE" crap this time.