Old November 2, 2001, 04:58   #1
ElitePersian
Prince

Local Time: 15:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Interface Annoyance
Ok here's what happens when my cities go into civil disorder:

1) at the beginning of the turn it centers the city on the map and it says Civil disorder, then
2)It tells me what my other cities have built and i change the queue
3)..anyhting else that happens on a turn

so by the time im done changing the build queue for my cities, i forget which cities went into disorder, so i have to scroll around the map (with the slow scroll) to see which cities ahve the smoke coming out of them. They should directly give you the Disorder Report Menu when a civil disorder happens.
Anyone else having this problem?
Old November 2, 2001, 05:11   #2
Yossarian
Settler

Local Time: 07:49
Yep, and it sucks. Civil disorder isn't even listed on the domestic advisor screen (list of cities).
Old November 2, 2001, 05:17   #3
ElitePersian
Prince

PLEASE fix this in a patch Firaxis........along with the other 1000 minor problems.
Old November 2, 2001, 10:19   #4
SixArmedMan
Prince

Local Time: 11:49
How 'bout listing in the civilopedia the "tech" we need for certain actions in the actual action entry?

For example, under "right of passage", tell us that Writing is required or for "Replant forest", tell us we need engineering. I don't wanna' hunt through the tech list to see what I need to do the action I want.
Old November 2, 2001, 11:25   #5
Falconius
Prince

Local Time: 10:49
Yes I Agree 100%. This is highly annoying! The advisor should give you the option of fixing the Civ. Dis. before moving on to the next message (a la Civ II; not all change is progress).
Old November 2, 2001, 12:38   #6
J10
Settler

As far as the civilopedia goes, I like the way they've done it in Call to Power.
Old November 2, 2001, 13:16   #7
Leonidas
King

I agree - these are simple things that should have been detected and changed, if the game had been play-tested properly.

I have re-started a game and when I several cities are in disorder, the game will jump around to all cities, and by the time I'm ready to start playing I wind up forgetting to check on one city in disorder. Very annoying.

When you have a large number of cities to manage - the more streamlined the process, the better. In Civ3 this seems to have taken a large step backward.

All information needed should just be one click away - unfortunatley in too many cases you have to go hunting for it.

After all the civ games that have come out, you'd have thought they would have found the right formula this time. It's as though we've started from scratch in learning how to design interfaces and cross-information retrieval -
Old November 2, 2001, 19:07   #8
ElitePersian
Prince

Ok this problem has gotten so bad that it makes me not wanna play anymore!!
I have about 5 cities in disorder right now cause im in democracy (switching to communism) and im going to war, it takes me about 5 minutes to find the damn cities in disorder and make them happy.
PLEASE FIX THIS!!
Old November 2, 2001, 19:11   #9
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I have my governers manage the workers so that it never goes into disorder in the first place. So this isn't a problem for me.
Old November 2, 2001, 19:21   #10
ElitePersian
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
I have my governers manage the workers so that it never goes into disorder in the first place. So this isn't a problem for me.
Do you mean workers? or laborers?
Old November 2, 2001, 19:32   #11
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

I agree that the "screen hopping" at the beginning of the turn is annoying. But you know that cities in disorder are smoking. Do a zoom out "z", and look for smoke.
My gripe is that it is damn hard to tell which citizens are happy content unhappy. There is a space between the three groups on ciyt screen and dom. advisor, but it was MUCH easier to tell in civ2.
Old November 2, 2001, 19:58   #12
SixArmedMan
Prince

Oh! Oh! No tech progress bar! Civ 2 had one... SMAC had one... why would Civ3 be missing one? I know it tells you how many turns 'til your next advance but... sometimes, research just doesn't add up. Whether I have my tech rate at 10% making 4 beakers, or at 90% with 12 beakers, it just doesn't seem to make a difference. 32 turns 'til my next advance. If I saw how many beakers I actually needed... then maybe it wouldn't be so annoying. But annoying it is.
Old November 2, 2001, 20:29   #13
Ned
King

Local Time: 07:49
I just have to add that I totally agree that not stopping and zooming to a city in disorder is a real problem.

Another thing I think one cannot do in Civ III that one can do in AC is right clicking on the list of cities from the production menu and issue a "hurry" command.

Ned
Old November 2, 2001, 20:30   #14
Acemo
Civilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 10:49
Quote:
Originally posted by ElitePersian

Do you mean workers? or laborers?
I believe he is referring to the Governors. If you haven't tried them out, do it! They aren't perfect, but MUCH better than those in SMAC.
Old November 2, 2001, 20:45   #15
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Yes, I ment the workers inside the city - so if there is going to be disorder, the governer will make an entertainer. Only when you go into sudden anarchy will you ever get disorder, and the governer will still fix it up for the next turn, anyways.
Old November 2, 2001, 21:21   #16
ElitePersian
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
Yes, I ment the workers inside the city - so if there is going to be disorder, the governer will make an entertainer. Only when you go into sudden anarchy will you ever get disorder, and the governer will still fix it up for the next turn, anyways.
hmm....so i can use the governor to ensure there will never be a disorder? how does that work, does the governor automatically place an entertainer before a disorder is gonna occur?
Old November 2, 2001, 21:28   #17
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Exactly how do you do this Osweld?
Old November 2, 2001, 23:07   #18
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Right click, and somewhere in the drop menu there should be an option to change what the governer manages. and don't forget the unit sub menu.

The thing with disorder is that it actually starts the turn before - when the content/unhappy ratio gets disrupted, and then the next turn the disorder actually starts. the governer checks all of the cities every turn, stoping this from happening... only when things change suddenly will it ever happen. (a revolution, for example)

Allowing the governer to manage this is the equivelant of going into your cities and hiting the city square so it auto arranges the laborers automaticaly every turn.