Old July 21, 2000, 16:04   #1
Jonicro
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Winter War scenario
Im making a scenario about Winter War (Finland <-> USSR, 1939-40). Any ideas would be heplful. Thanks .
Old July 21, 2000, 22:21   #2
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 10:08
I probably shouldn't be trying to advise a Finn about the Winter War but here are a few sugestions

* Finland captured a lot of Russian equipment and used it to equip its armed forces - how about an event that every time the Finns destroy a Russian unit they get one of those units of thier own and/or a slab of money?

* I belive that the Baltic freezing allowed the Russians to outflank some of the Finnish defences. You could use events to turn some of the Baltic sea into ice on the date this historically happened.

* Simulate the Russians overwealming numbers and resorces by having an event that creates a new Russian unit every time the Finns kill a russian unit (eg like Capt. Nemo did in Red Front).

Old July 21, 2000, 22:43   #3
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 01:08
A tip for you: create a cheap antitank unit for Finnish ( Molotov cocktail maybe ) in oreder to allow Finnish best fight against Russian tanks.

------------------
Ave atque vale...
Old July 22, 2000, 06:53   #4
Jonicro
Chieftain

Thanks from usefull tips to both of you .

I myself noticed too it would be good idea to make russian units appear throught every time their unit dies.

That idea about capturing equipment is good too...im quite sure i will use it too.

And that freezing is really good idea because in real life russians crossed Gulf of Viipuri on ice and then cutted railroad connection to other Finland!

Hmm maybe i will make that molotov unit...still have think about it.

Thanks for tips to both of you! Any other good ideas...anybody?
Old July 22, 2000, 09:35   #5
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:08
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I'm probably telling you stuff you already know, but what the heck!

-The Mannerheim Line accross Karelia was the main defense against the Russian onslaught; once you lose that, the road to Helsinki is open. (Might want to show that somehow)

-The Finns were more adapt to winter warfare, maybe make them faster (all as road) and make the units stronger than the Russians, which would have sheer numbers behind them.

-Finland had 2 squadrons of Fokker D.XXIs, 2 Bulldog Mk IIs, and 17 Bristol Bulldog Mk .IVAs

Hope I helped!
Old July 22, 2000, 11:21   #6
Ken Hinds
Prince

Local Time: 19:08
Local Date: October 30, 2010
If you have or can get a hold of Panzer General II the Sumasomi (SP?) scenario in the first campaign pits the Finns and the Germans against the Russians. You may find some ideas there. It includes the Finnish Ski units and frozen lakes/rivers, etc.

Ken
Old July 22, 2000, 16:19   #7
Jonicro
Chieftain

Im making the scenario really fast now...started it maybe a week ago and im nearly finishing it .

I will use many graphics from Redfront and some sounds from Steel Panthers: World At War.

Yes theres a Mannerheim Line but also the Intermidiate Line and Final Line. This scenario is very detailed...atleast Karelia Isthmus is.

But northern areas arent that good...lucky they arent as importants. Hmm atleast at this point i will not put any tanks for Finland because they had only few of them in Winter War.

Hmm maybe i will try to get that Panzer General II and check that out...
Old July 22, 2000, 16:29   #8
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

I managed to get a book from comunal library: "Guerra in Finlanda" ( or, in english, "Finland war 1939-40" ).
In this book i find all the units used by both Finnish and Russian Armies... If you 'll need informations, my e-mail is on top...
Old July 23, 2000, 13:32   #9
Jonicro
Chieftain

Ok scenario is almost ready now...only events are undone. Those Move unit -commands can be really annoying . But now their working thanks to Captain Nemos guide .

Prometreus, i already have quite detailed informations about units used in war but if theres something else nice in the book tell me.

You can see test pic from the scenario in http://www.geocities.com/jonscave/esim1.jpg.
Old July 23, 2000, 15:14   #10
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Hmmm... Let me see...
According to this book, the finnish fighter squadron using Fiat G.50 fighters was still in training at the end of Winter war. So, if you are interested in a well pointed scenario, don't use them.