Old November 2, 2001, 09:26   #1
Verrucosus
Prince

Local Time: 16:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Any problems with Windows XP?
Last weekend, my faithful computer passed away. The coroner's report is not in yet, but probably it was just old age (and too many exciting games of SMAC). Anyway, I need to buy a new one soon and its "smacability" is of concern to me. Apparently, most computers for sale at the moment have the operating system Windows XP already installed. It seems to be quite new and I do not recall any messages about it here. Hence my question whether there are known problems of running SMAC with this operating system? Any comments will be appreciated.
Old November 2, 2001, 21:21   #2
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 10:50
update drivers and you should be fine (especially since you're starting from scratch and not upgrading an existing computer). in most cases you'll run it great without doing anything, but the driver issue is the number one cause of any problems you'd find on XP, so if initially things don't work out, don't panic or anything.

no worries.
Old November 3, 2001, 10:58   #3
Arnie1066
Settler

Local Time: 15:50
Windows XP Problem
I had a problem with XP but hope fully 'Lefty Scaevola' has come up with the answer in the 'Questions' Thread i'm off to try it out.

Edit:1:

It worked

Make sure that the alphacenturi.ini file is...

[PREFERENCES]
ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

Last edited by Arnie1066; November 4, 2001 at 06:04.
Old November 3, 2001, 22:58   #4
aetherspoon
Settler

No problems at all.
I've ran SMAC under Win98, WinME, Win2k (even though Firaxis yelled at me about it when I tried to tell them what bugs there were under 2k), and WinXP.
XP runs just like 98 and ME do when it comes to SMAC... 2000 on the other hand does some rather odd things, like speed up the game by quite a bit and have random letters in the display.
If you need any help, just personal message me or something. I know my SMAC almost as much as I know my OSes
Old November 4, 2001, 10:14   #5
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Re: Windows XP Problem
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnie1066
I had a problem with XP but hope fully 'Lefty Scaevola' has come up with the answer in the 'Questions' Thread i'm off to try it out.

Edit:1:

It worked

Make sure that the alphacenturi.ini file is...

[PREFERENCES]
ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1
The problem was more likely that the program did not recognise the P4 CPU rather than specificly related to WinXP.
Old November 5, 2001, 12:56   #6
Verrucosus
Prince

Local Time: 16:50
Many thanks to all of you for taking the trouble to respond. I am sure your advice will save me a lot of hairpulling. Now, I look forward to have a chance to try some of those excessive crawler strategies without slowing the game down too much.

Thanks again!

Verrucosus
Old October 1, 2002, 09:27   #7
odisseus
Settler

Re: No problems at all.
Quote:
Originally posted by aetherspoon
I've ran SMAC under Win98, WinME, Win2k (even though Firaxis yelled at me about it when I tried to tell them what bugs there were under 2k), and WinXP.
XP runs just like 98 and ME do when it comes to SMAC... 2000 on the other hand does some rather odd things, like speed up the game by quite a bit and have random letters in the display.
If you need any help, just personal message me or something. I know my SMAC almost as much as I know my OSes
Did you solved the problem of random letters under win 2000?
Old October 1, 2002, 14:04   #8
Kajak
Chieftain

Starting to put the pieces together.
I had no ForceOld V........=1 line in the .ini file cause I was working using the Classic as installed version(1.something..).
Looked at the patch4 without installing and low and behold there was the line in the new .ini and set equal to zero. I had tried patch4 before and couldn't get it to even load the game. Sooooo! I put in the patch, the game still wouldn't load, got the wrong CPU message, then changed the new .ini line to Force..ect.to equal 1 instead of 0, as per all the above advive and it runs.
I'll have to run a game now to see if it stops the crashes. So far so good , thanks all.

Last edited by Kajak; October 1, 2002 at 14:12.
Old October 8, 2002, 18:09   #9
Jmaster
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:50
A side note about XP compatibility in general:

Look at the 'Properties' (right-click, Properties) of a program or shortcut and select 'Compatibility'. Check the box and select an OS and you should be able make any program think it is running any version of Windows from 95 on.
Old October 8, 2002, 19:21   #10
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

The fact that that very rarely makes any significant difference in my experience is neither here nor there.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara