Old July 22, 2000, 23:26   #1
PurpleWyrm
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Global Warming
Has anyone ever done any poking around to figure out how Global Warming affects the map? I'm thinking of using it in an ice world scenario, one of the goals is to warm up the planet and free some decent terrain from under the ice.

With a lot of messing around I've managed to extablish there are two types of terrain change which I'm calling Land Change and Sea Change.

Land Change converts Forest and Grassland to Plain, and Plain to Desert in diagonal strips (going right and down) starting from square 0,0 and every eighth square along the top of the map thereafter. It occurs in the first episode of global warming, then in every second episode (I think) the starting points moving 1 to the left each time.

Sea Change changes Desert, Plains and Grassland to Swamp, and Forest to Jungle. It seems to occur on (some) squares with at least two contiguous ocean edges in the first episode of global warming, but after that becomes less predictable. It occurs in the second episode of warming, and (I think) every second one after that.

If anyone else has done any work on this subject I'd very much like to know what they found out
Old July 23, 2000, 00:58   #2
Ken Hinds
Prince

Local Time: 19:08
Local Date: October 30, 2010
There is some information in the attached thread. You may need to do some additional testing and research.
http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum1/HT...tml?date=16:26

Ken
Old July 23, 2000, 19:53   #3
PurpleWyrm
Chieftain

Not sure about the assertation that jungles turn into plains, but the rest confirms what I've found. I think the game treats swamp and ocean identically when calculating for Sea Change (ie: a square with sides touching ocean and swamp or two swamp squares is just as likely to change as one touching two ocean squares), but I've got to test it properly.
Old July 24, 2000, 00:30   #4
William Keenan
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

"Great minds think alike," my mother would say.

I'm finishing up a scenario called "The Spring of Kalterra" about an Ice World that the player must thaw. I use Gobal Icing (global warming renamed) in the scenario not to thaw the land but to refreeze it.

My research into global warming indicates that grasslands become plains, plains become swamps, forests become jungle, and everything near the ocean becomes swamp.
[This message has been edited by William Keenan (edited July 24, 2000).]
Old July 24, 2000, 00:45   #5
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 20:38
Would anyone be able to tell me how/if you can change the rate of global warming, in a .txt file or something???

Example----->(Like for 20 spots of pollution it takes 3 turns for 1 change then 5 for each extra change, etc.) <-----Example

------------------
"I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
"If the great Emperors of Rome, Egypt and Greece were alive today, do you think they would prefer Coke or Pepsi?"
Old July 24, 2000, 13:15   #6
William Keenan
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

CornMaster, there is no way to change the rate of global warming.

According to the tests I have done the maximum rate of global warming is once every ten turns.
Old July 24, 2000, 19:59   #7
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 20:38
Thanks anyway. I guess it's built into the main files.

------------------
"I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
"If the great Emperors of Rome, Egypt and Greece were alive today, do you think they would prefer Coke or Pepsi?"
Old July 24, 2000, 21:08   #8
Allard HS
Prince

Local Time: 02:08
You can also switch off global warming completely by hex-editing. See my earlier thread about this (a while ago). This might well be the easiest way, cause there are still nice pop-ups you can use for something fun.
Old July 26, 2000, 05:43   #9
PurpleWyrm
Chieftain

Did some more research.

Turns out sea change doesn't affect forests. Forests inland are transformed to plains, but forest next to ocean will sometimes be transformed to jungle. The more ocean edges there are, the more likely it is to go to jungle rather than plains.

I think I can put to bed the idea that jungle gets transformed to plains, in the first few stages of global warming anyway. All it seems to do is sit there. Similarly my idea that the game treats swamp like ocean for calculating sea change seems to be wrong. You seem to need at least one ocean square to trigger it off, although the more swamp there is around it, the more likely it gets.

Of course I intend to do some more research, so all of this could be overturned as soon as I load the next map