Old November 2, 2001, 10:18   #1
galanti
Settler

Local Time: 15:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Resources drying up
Does anyone know why resources dry up so quickly? My sole source of iron dried up in 7 turns after linking to it, and I hadn't even built anything requiring it.

This kind of rains on my parade, as one the more exciting new features of civ3 was the concept of strategic resources, but they're kind of useless if they last this long.

Can I fix this in the editor? I'm at work now and can't figure it out for myself.
Old November 2, 2001, 12:57   #2
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 09:50
Hehe I had one source of iron dry up the turn after I linked it. Made me want to punch the monitor.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old November 2, 2001, 13:22   #3
mmtt
Warlord

Local Time: 16:50
They often last a lot more, I had a saltpeter resource during till 1900+, I think.
It's only chance...
Old November 2, 2001, 15:33   #4
fossicker
Settler

Local Time: 10:50
They tend to do that. My last game I fought a war for some coal, and then about 6 turns after I linked to it "POOF" all gone.

If you check out the editor you can see there is something there about resources and what are the chances for them to disappear, some like coal go quickly, others like horses don't go at all.

If it is any consolation, I think that the resources reappear somewhere else on the map after you lose them, so therefore the number of coal on a map is always constant.

In other words your rivals are probably enjoying your iron.
Old November 2, 2001, 15:39   #5
KingSponge
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:50
Hmm, in two games so far (up to about 1500AD) I've had only one resource dry up but another appeared soon after about 3 squares away from the first.

Sounds like you were just very unlucky.