Old November 2, 2001, 11:43   #1
incie
Settler

Local Time: 10:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AI nations placed in the same order?
Just curious if anyone else has played the same civ multiple times and noticed they always end up with the same neighbors.

I've played the Greeks quite a bit and I've ALWAYS -- every single game -- had the Romans as neighbors. The English seem to always be next door to me too.

I've now tried the Japanese a few times, and it appears the Chinese and the Indians are always close. In replays of my Greek games, the Japanese, Chinese, and Indians were always neighbors. I've read an AAR from another guy over on the Civ3 Stories board -- he played the Japanese, the Chinese and Indians were neighbors.

Just noticed in another thread, a screen shot of the Chinese and the Indians -- neighbors again.

Has anybody else noticed this or is it just strange coincidence? Will kinda hurt replay if it's true...

By the way, thought I might mention, in my current game, myself (Japanese), the Indians, and the Chinese all share a continent. And there are NO luxeries. I've explored the entire place, and not ONE luxery resource that I've noticed. Very interesting IMO that that can happen
Old November 2, 2001, 12:28   #2
Stuie
King

Local Time: 11:51
I just started a new game this morning as the Chinese. My neighbors:

Japanese to the east
Indians to the west

I think the Babylonians are on the other side of the Indians (further west).

I'm playing on a random map.

I wonder if Firaxis built the game such that historical neighbors will always be close together. I mean on this random map we're even in the correct geographic order - weird. IF this is the case, replayability goes down one notch in my book. I don't want to always know who my neighbors are going to be when playing a certain civ.
Old November 2, 2001, 12:35   #3
Pogue Mahone
Settler

Local Time: 15:51
I've played twice as the Germans, and both times had Russia and Rome as my neighbors. I played once as Rome, and had Egypt and Russia as my neighbors. I hope that is not going to happen every time, or at the very least, I hope it is fixable with the editor.
Old November 2, 2001, 12:37   #4
Panzer
Warlord

Local Time: 16:51
Nope, that's no coincidence. Civs that have the same culture (e.g. Classical, Far-East, European) will usually end up next to each other.
Old November 2, 2001, 12:57   #5
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Everytime I play the Germans, the Russians are always in the game, and they are always the ones who declare war on me first.
Old November 2, 2001, 13:01   #6
rdomarat
Settler

Local Time: 15:51
I'm playing the Japanese, and I'm bordered by the French, English and Persian. The Persian are currently kicking my ass.
Old November 2, 2001, 13:38   #7
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 17:51
It seems to make sense that they put the culturally similar nations close together, but there should be an option to switch that off. I mean, playing Germans and meeting Indians early in the game, wasn't that was Civ was all about?
Old November 2, 2001, 13:44   #8
Ecthy
Emperor

It seems to make sense that they put the culturally similar nations close together, but there should be an option to switch that off. I mean, playing Germans and meeting Indians early in the game, wasn't that was Civ was all about?
Old November 2, 2001, 13:45   #9
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

I can't confirm it, but it definitely seems to be a pattern. I'm playing a game as the Greeks, and my neigbors are the Egyptians and Romans. This is my first game (I've been playing it since Monday), but I had a couple aborted starts before I got into this one. In each of those aborted starts I was also the Greeks, and I ran into either the Egyptians or Romans each time.

Also, in my current game, there is another continent which has the Russians, English, Germans, and French. Or at least, it used to have the Germans until the Russians destroyed them!

So there definitely seems to be a pattern of certain civs being grouped together. Can anyone from Firaxis confirm this?
Old November 2, 2001, 14:00   #10
Ecthy
Emperor

Old November 2, 2001, 15:38   #11
Cougz
Settler

Local Time: 07:51
I'm playing as Persia, sharing the North/South American landmass with the Babylonians, Egyptians, Iriquios, and Chinese ??? The first two make sense as cultural neighbours, the Iriquios who I bumped into first, directly south, definately do not.