Old November 2, 2001, 11:48   #1
Aetius
Settler

Local Time: 11:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Just general experience of mine
Hi all!

Here are some of my playing experience I want to share.

I have played 3 games so far, always with the "huge earth map", playing as the Romans at difficulty level "Regent".

In my first game, my started location was set to India. Great spot, but when you play as the Roman, you need Iron...this **** iron thing you know...to build Legionnaire! Well...it seems that my direction of expension cut me off my ressources
*First lesson* Ressources are critical! Fight for them!

My second game placed me in scandinavia wher I expanded around the North Sea. Was doing fine until I decided to declare war on the Aztecs that were refusing to withdraw their troops. Oh my God, what a mistake! I have never seen such a nuisance called "Jaguar Warrior" . As soon that I have declared war, they begun storming my empire, dozen of them, and all toward one of my city, pillaging and cutting his road access, capturing it and moving to the next. Oh...and I forgot to mentionned that, after my declaration of war, they allied with the Iroquois and the Babylonien that sended so much troops! When my capital falled, there were around 30 (yes....around 30!!!!!) units ravaging my empire.
*Second lesson* Allied yourself with the nearest civilisation bordering your ennemy, that will help a lot...or your ennemy WILL ally with it to destroy you.

My actual game places me in Ethiopia : Absolutely great spot!
(Well, for me it has been the best in 3 attempts).
This time, I think I have understand how to "survive"
First, dont care to irrigate, dont build worker so soon, just produce warrior and settler and colonize like hell! Second, when you think your expension is enough for a while, build roads and mines. Third, build that Great Library wonder!!! Do whatever it takes but build it! This will stop you from falling too far behind in the technological race. This way I have been able to "follow" them in their evolution (they are really good at expendind and building things, or I am absolutely a bad player).

In resumé, best unit I have seen so far is the roman Legionnaire in term of rough power, defense and longevity (I mean when considering he can keep his ground against more powerfull unit later in the game). But the most efficient is (you will laugh at me) the **** Aztec Jaguar warrior! His high mobility make you run just to exterminate these nuisance! He is always retreating when losing due to his movement of 2, forcing you to have 2 units to kill him, and early on in the game, that's really annoying (making me crazy)

And one last thing...I hate the "Foreign Advisor" screen. can you tell me how you can contact other civilisation in this screen when you are playing the "Huge Earth map scenario" with 15 opposing civ? You can only see 7 of them. In my game, my 2 neighbourg wasnt in this screen, so it was only possible to contact them when one of their unit was passing by! This is not really user friendly! Other folks in here have experience this fact?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english, french speaking doing my best to share my experience with you.
Old November 2, 2001, 15:28   #2
Patrick Dawson
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 10:51
Shift+right click on a Civ head in a 8+ civ game to change which civ you are viewing in the Foreign Advisor.

-- Patrick Dawson
Old November 2, 2001, 18:28   #3
Aetius
Settler

Local Time: 11:51
Thank you very much Patrick for this information!

I hope this will help other players too.
Old November 2, 2001, 19:10   #4
mmtt
Warlord

Local Time: 16:51
I never played Romans, I prefer French for the Commercial and Industrial bonus.

I played a game without iron. I got salpeter when I invaded the Germany. But the Great Russia destroyed me after (they got a HUGE army terrific to see like 30 knights/cossacks rushing).

Never faught the Aztecs.

Well for diplomatic: use the little bouton D at the bottom left of the screen, I think there are many more civs.

I started my first game in southern Africa. I read a lot the forum, and I follow the big tips: EXPAND AND BUILD CITIES... It was in chieftain, but the Japanese gave me some probs. Good start location but many jungles at north and the civ who starts in Ethiopia controls the central Africa...

Last game, I download the new World Map (civ2 world map for civ3) and by luck, I started in the middle west... The best start location I think... Only 4 civilizations on the continents. You can easily expand in the west and after some fights win in the east. Then you are the little USA who grows, grows and grows....