Old July 30, 2000, 14:34   #1
Kitana
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Creating Civs...
Well, I've made one very basic scenario. It takes place after a great flood destroys everything except a few civilizations. It is fun but I have plans for bigger and better things.

First question:
What is the easiest way to set up Civilizations? I've played a few scenarios where the civs already have a couple citys, some improvements, some units, etc. Now, i know that I can just put the wait at end of turn flag on then switch the human player to the next civ and build a civ that way... but I find this very tedious. Anyone have any suggestions? I should mention I'm using Civ MPG.

Second question:
What is the easiest way to customize units? For example, in the scenario I'm designing there it starts in the Industrialization Age. So all of the medieval units and ancient units are not needed so I want to change them to more modern units. Is there an easy way?

Third question:
Is it easier to edit the tech tree with the editor that comes with Civ MPG or to use a text editor?

Last question:
Know any sites with a good graphics library? I have a great imagination but I can't draw (even electronically) worth crap.
Old July 30, 2000, 15:07   #2
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:08
quote:

First question:
What is the easiest way to set up Civilizations? I've played a few scenarios where the civs already have a
couple citys, some improvements, some units, etc. Now, i know that I can just put the wait at end of turn
flag on then switch the human player to the next civ and build a civ that way... but I find this very
tedious. Anyone have any suggestions? I should mention I'm using Civ MPG.

Well... simply said, there is no other way .
But we live in a world with practical things, so there is a small util that allows you to switch to other civs without cheating (although you must cheat to create the new settlers). But you will not get around placing every single city yourself, improving it etc. You must do everything all by yourself.

quote:

Second question:
What is the easiest way to customize units? For example, in the scenario I'm designing there it starts in
the Industrialization Age. So all of the medieval units and ancient units are not needed so I want to
change them to more modern units. Is there an easy way?

Check out the file Rules.txt. It contains a very detailed explanation of how to change the single factors etc.

quote:

Third question:
Is it easier to edit the tech tree with the editor that comes with Civ MPG or to use a text editor?

That is a very tricky question. Basically it is easier with the FW/MPG editor, but it suffers many memory bugs, so it can corrupt the file "Rules.txt" in which the techs are, very easily. It is advisable to use a text editor and change the things manually.

quote:

Last question:
Know any sites with a good graphics library? I have a great imagination but I can't draw (even
electronically) worth crap.

Well, one of the best can be found here: http://csc.apolyton.net
It provides you with the basic sets of graphics that any designer should have (esp. the "Ancient" and "WW2" files by Harlan Thompson). There, or here at Apolyton, you will find links to other sites with other collections... or simply download a scenario which you think takes place in "your" time and copy the graphics. Designers usually won't prohibit you from doing so provided you credit them and maybe ask them for permission.

What are you looking for in particular?

------------------
Follow the masses!
30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Our survival is based on continouus changing.
-Mao Tse-Tung
God might have created us as equals, but democracy and science pretty
much screwed that whole idea..
-Onepaul

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
Old July 30, 2000, 15:51   #3
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 01:08
The Great Icon Library.

------------------
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ Ave atque vale... ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø

E-mail? Click goddi_diego@yahoo.com
[This message has been edited by Prometeus (edited July 30, 2000).]
Old July 31, 2000, 18:55   #4
Kitana
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:08
Thanks for the info, it will be pretty useful. What I'm planning is picking up in the industrial age, going to the information age and then furutistic. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about AC yet. But what I want is to make things a bit more realistic when it comes to the modern/futuristic age. Change the Wonders,City improvements and Units to reflect a modern/futuristic world.

------------------
Kitana
Shogun of the Japanese