View Poll Results: Do You think Civ3 Has too much corruption?
Yes, It needs to be fixed in the first patch!!!! 32 41.03%
No, it is fine the way it is. 37 47.44%
Dont really know 9 11.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 2, 2001, 16:16   #1
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Do you think that there is too much corruption in Civ III?
Do you think that corruption is too much in Civ III and should be fixed in the next patch? Do you think it is fine the way it is? Only those with Civ III please vote.
Old April 20, 2002, 17:36   #2
nationalist
Warlord

Local Time: 10:51
They've been doing a pretty good job patching it so far, but it could still use some working.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old April 20, 2002, 17:45   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i think that it's managable in Democracy and Communism, but in Despotism it's simply insane. Monarchy isn't much of an improvement, and the whole "no pop killing" rush system makes monarchy much less attractive.

in my opinion, monarchy should have the same corrutpion levels as a republic, but a republic should make 1.5x as much money (democracy has 2x right?) that way republic makes more money than a monarchy, but monarchy has much less corruption than a democracy. maybe i'll mod that now.
Old April 20, 2002, 21:33   #4
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 16:51
Quote:
but a republic should make 1.5x as much money (democracy has 2x right?) that way republic makes more money than a monarchy, but monarchy has much less corruption than a democracy. maybe i'll mod that now.
1) Republic and democracy has the exact same bonus. It's one more trade for each tiles which is already producing another trade.

2) The democracy has actually the lowest corruption of all gvt.
Old April 20, 2002, 21:45   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I don't have a problem with the corruption levels.
I don't think Firaxis should change corruption significantly becuase its so easy to change the corruption yourself using the editor.
Old April 20, 2002, 23:45   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:51
[QUOTE] Originally posted by UberKruX
i think that it's managable in Democracy and Communism, but in Despotism it's simply insane. Monarchy isn't much of an improvement, and the whole "no pop killing" rush system makes monarchy much less attractive.

this might be a reason why you have to switch to democracy

don't tell me there are too many gov's now hey
Old April 21, 2002, 00:25   #7
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 11:51
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
in my opinion, monarchy should have the same corrutpion levels as a republic, but a republic should make 1.5x as much money (democracy has 2x right?) that way republic makes more money than a monarchy, but monarchy has much less corruption than a democracy. maybe i'll mod that now.
According to alexman's cprruption study, republic and monarchy do have the same corruption rate. The advantage for the republic is the one extra trade per square that has one trade.
Old April 21, 2002, 00:28   #8
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:51
It has been so long seen I posted this thread tha I forgot about it untill you guys posted stuff in here. I put this up a couple of weeks after Civ3 came out. But if you dont like corruption you can always change it in the editor.
Old April 21, 2002, 00:29   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:51
It's a hot topic.
Old April 21, 2002, 00:35   #10
simwiz2
Warlord

there should be an option of "yes a little too much". i still dont really like how much there is, but i dont think it is as bad as i did when civ3 first came out.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old April 21, 2002, 01:05   #11
nationalist
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_www
It has been so long seen I posted this thread tha I forgot about it untill you guys posted stuff in here. I put this up a couple of weeks after Civ3 came out. But if you dont like corruption you can always change it in the editor.
I've been reading through the old posts ( I like nostalgia) and I thought that this thread was still relevant. I wanted to reply, and I wanted to see others reply as well. That's why I answered it. Its a good topic.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old April 21, 2002, 11:43   #12
nato
Prince

I do not find the corruption enjoyable at all ...

But I don't have any really better ideas for limiting empire size. I think it does that job fairly well. Its pretty much just like the riot factor in Civ2 deity ... a pain, but you can work around it.

So I don't like it, but I don't have any better idea that would be significantly different. Its ok.

But man was it a shock first game!
Old April 21, 2002, 12:32   #13
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by nato
I agree.

Old April 21, 2002, 12:47   #14
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 09:51
Monarchy and Republic have the same corruption by distance (in some cases Republic is 1% better). It is corruption by number of cities where they vary.
Old April 21, 2002, 21:25   #15
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by nato

But I don't have any really better ideas for limiting empire size. I think it does that job fairly well. Its pretty much just like the riot factor in Civ2 deity ... a pain, but you can work around it.

this is causing the problem, i.e. no one has got one!!(yet?)

same goes for ICS? REX?
Old April 21, 2002, 21:38   #16
Captain
King

Nope. I find corruption tolerable.
but then, I've modded it so there are more corruption fighting bldgs. (pre-1.21)

that way, you can expand your empire, but only if you are willing to spend on infrastructure (more developer friendly game). straight warmongers just raze everything so there's no stopping them but warmonger imperialists get slowed down since they can't have their cake and eat it too.

the tough bit is getting anything built in the frontier city in the first place, but that's the challenge. i build up a powerful core that generates $$, which i then spend (invest) on a frontier city, one at a time. Once that city is up to 75% production (in less than 10 turns usually), move to the next most promising one. To get the pop up to make it useful quickly, use workers, thus avoiding carrying improvement costs without benefit. If you improve one city at a time, it really helps, rather than doing them all just a bit.
Old April 22, 2002, 13:54   #17
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 15:51
I think its perfect as it is!

NOW WHERES MY CASH SID?
Old April 22, 2002, 17:21   #18
HisMajestyBOB
Warlord

I don' think corruption is that big a problem in the game, never had it become unbearable. Then again, I don't have 50 cities spread accross a giga-map after the 1st 100 turns

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!
Old April 22, 2002, 17:27   #19
Conqueror
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton UniversityC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
King

Corruption is just fine as it now is. Its ment to be that way.

People dont seem to understand that this is CIV 3; not any CtP crap or civ1-2.

Whiners should stick to these games, and quit the corruption nag.
Old April 24, 2002, 12:48   #20
delfino
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:51
the problem with corruption and pollution in Civ3 is not there is too much, it is that you can't control it. at least it was so before 1.21. with 1.21 I can actually see the combo courthouse/p. station get some improvement. however I still think that both corruption and pollution should be clearly quantified in the game, as well as the benefits of the city improvements designed to offset its results. as an example courthouse would decrease corruption by 30 % and p. station by an additional 30 %. this would ensure that a city producing 10-11 shields would loose only 4-5 shields instead of spending the all game collecting 1 shield only. so corruption would always exist but at least it could become manageable.