Old November 2, 2001, 16:54   #1
timoteob
Settler

Local Time: 10:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Please help me off the fence!!
I am a long time civ player and I am trying to decide if I want to plunk my money down for Civ III. I have been lurking on this forum and I have heard alot of good things and a few bad. But the one thing that will get me off the fence is wether or not all of the computer player gang up on you as soon as you become the most powerful civ.

I always hated in Civ II and SMAC that as soon as you become the most powerful civ/faction all of the others suddenly hate/attack you. Even if you have been allies for centuries and fought wars against common enemies.

So those of you who have bought the game: does the AI suddenly hate your as soon as you have climbed to the top of the heap?
Old November 2, 2001, 18:14   #2
CygnusZ
Warlord

Local Time: 15:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well.. hmm. It really depends.

Depending on your personal network of alliances, the AI may decide to gang up on you if you've been isolationist and not signed any diplomatic agreements. Remember though that there is now a huge co-dependency factor, and even if you are the largest/most powerful the exchange of goods and services would make fighting you an unattractive choice.

Also, if you maintain an impressieve military and have a high culture, most Civ's are going to be way too scared to go after you. Do not underestimate the AI though, if you let military alliances between the AI fractions blossom expect to have some problems.

Much more common though is world wars. Where 2-3 Civs have Mutual Protection Pacts each other resulting in WWI type situations. Can't control it, and I don't like to get involved in those sort of things, but it is a real threat (war *SHOULD* be a real threat... all those agreements create a great atmosphere of tension)