Old November 2, 2001, 19:11   #1
joey703
Settler

Local Time: 07:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AI and War Weariness
I'm sure other people have asked this question too. But I bet at some most ppl playing civ3 will ask, "Do the computer players suffer war weariness? or do they consider it when they choose to refuse to meet my envoys"

In my current game everyone allied against the iriquios(sp?) and war broke out in the beginning of the industrial age. Then I too became involved in the war due to a mutual protection treaty with the americans. Many turns later, I was in the process of sending 2 battle carrier groups, which were accompanying an armada of transports carrying an invasion force. Then while my ships were on their way, another war erupted as I rejected the puny aztecs demand for tribute. Eventually, all the remaining civs besides the americans, and the french declared war on me. Democratic China(my civ) was doing great in the war against the aztecs and at first war weariness wasnt a problem(I have universal sufferage and police stations built in virtually all my cities). Then eventually cities started rioting and I decided I couldnt continue the war. So i signed a peace treaty with the iriquios(sp?), and the aztecs. But turn after turn france, greece, and rome refused to see my envoy.

This is wear the question pops up. The countries I'm at war are all democratic(I found this out as I couldnt use propaganda on their cities). They've been at war as long as I have and they should be facing unrest in their cities too. Additionally, they havent event sent an invasion force(not a single time by any of those civs).

If the computer players also suffer from war weariness, then the computer players must be planning something since they keep refusing any peace envoys and they put up with the unrest. If this is the case, then fine I'll just switch to communism to take the war to their continents.

But if its not, and honestly it just seems like the AI just blindly refuses my envoys since we havent fought a single battle and doesnt weigh war weariness in their decisions to refuse to meet my envoys or(and) the AI doesnt suffer from weariness, as it doesnt mind being at war forever.
Old November 2, 2001, 20:29   #2
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

Local Time: 10:52
Re: AI and War Weariness
Quote:
Originally posted by joey703
I'm sure other people have asked this question too. But I bet at some most ppl playing civ3 will ask, "Do the computer players suffer war weariness? or do they consider it when they choose to refuse to meet my envoys"

In my current game everyone allied against the iriquios(sp?) and war broke out in the beginning of the industrial age. Then I too became involved in the war due to a mutual protection treaty with the americans. Many turns later, I was in the process of sending 2 battle carrier groups, which were accompanying an armada of transports carrying an invasion force. Then while my ships were on their way, another war erupted as I rejected the puny aztecs demand for tribute. Eventually, all the remaining civs besides the americans, and the french declared war on me. Democratic China(my civ) was doing great in the war against the aztecs and at first war weariness wasnt a problem(I have universal sufferage and police stations built in virtually all my cities). Then eventually cities started rioting and I decided I couldnt continue the war. So i signed a peace treaty with the iriquios(sp?), and the aztecs. But turn after turn france, greece, and rome refused to see my envoy.

This is wear the question pops up. The countries I'm at war are all democratic(I found this out as I couldnt use propaganda on their cities). They've been at war as long as I have and they should be facing unrest in their cities too. Additionally, they havent event sent an invasion force(not a single time by any of those civs).

If the computer players also suffer from war weariness, then the computer players must be planning something since they keep refusing any peace envoys and they put up with the unrest. If this is the case, then fine I'll just switch to communism to take the war to their continents.

But if its not, and honestly it just seems like the AI just blindly refuses my envoys since we havent fought a single battle and doesnt weigh war weariness in their decisions to refuse to meet my envoys or(and) the AI doesnt suffer from weariness, as it doesnt mind being at war forever.
The AI does suffer from war weariness at the same level as the human, ever at Deity.

The AI is more likely to switch to Communism/Monarchy than sue for peace just because of war weariness (although that is a factor...)
Old November 2, 2001, 20:32   #3
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:52
Re: Re: AI and War Weariness
I was playing with a religious civ which has one turn anarchy between gov. change. I was changing back and forth as war came and went. That was fun.

Soren is god.
Old November 2, 2001, 20:33   #4
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:52
Re: Re: AI and War Weariness
dp
Old November 2, 2001, 21:14   #5
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 15:52
Hi soren,
I was wondering how you made civ3's AI .. I'm also attempting a similar task for my God Style game , I'm finding it fascinating and also a bit overwhelming. When you get into it its amazing how it starts to fall into place though, i'm working on the pathfinding routine now - particularly difficult with a real time game system.
Hopefully using 'fuzzy logic' will help - changing variables to represent units moods and morale etc, and working out the relationships between the various AI logic to get a tactic.

I'm about to go to bed now, but i'm sure all of us would be interested on how your AI in civ3 works - is it pure magic?

Were there any major bugs or problems you had to overcome?
Of course, if its too top secret and will give away how the AI plays you can drop me a mail if you want.
I'd really appreciate a couple of general pointers in how to make an effective AI , it would be a lot easier just makign it multiplayer and having player v player only.

peter@artpac.demon.co.uk
LordPeter maker of the game Mantra
Old November 2, 2001, 21:49   #6
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

Local Time: 10:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ
Hi soren,
I was wondering how you made civ3's AI .. I'm also attempting a similar task for my God Style game , I'm finding it fascinating and also a bit overwhelming. When you get into it its amazing how it starts to fall into place though, i'm working on the pathfinding routine now - particularly difficult with a real time game system.
Hopefully using 'fuzzy logic' will help - changing variables to represent units moods and morale etc, and working out the relationships between the various AI logic to get a tactic.

I'm about to go to bed now, but i'm sure all of us would be interested on how your AI in civ3 works - is it pure magic?

Were there any major bugs or problems you had to overcome?
Of course, if its too top secret and will give away how the AI plays you can drop me a mail if you want.
I'd really appreciate a couple of general pointers in how to make an effective AI , it would be a lot easier just makign it multiplayer and having player v player only.

peter@artpac.demon.co.uk
LordPeter maker of the game Mantra
Why don't you drop by my Apolyton AI chat this coming Wednesday at 14:00est? (How's that for a shameless plug?)
Old November 2, 2001, 22:13   #7
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 15:52
Thanks for the invite,
why - you'll be doing the Ricki Lake show next Soren
Its good to see a programmer doing some PR tho, these marketing guys can't be trusted