Old July 18, 2000, 14:36   #1
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 17:40
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Well, you got to give the guy credit... There is a sucker born every minute, so I'm sure somebody will be stupid enough to buy it.

The smarter people can just go through the archives here and find the same thing for free
Old July 18, 2000, 17:14   #2
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 14:40
LoL - Check out the Civ2 main page - he got advertising from DanQ, who obviously never plays old Civ2 or visits the Strat forum. I posted a thread about this lunacy on the Apolyton forum, and DanQ said he would look into it. He also said he would look into the Civ2 Short-Tips section spamming on another thread, but... clearly Civ2 is the bastard-stepchild of Apolyton.

I'm sure to most people CtP and AC are worth all the effort, but it would be nice to have a co-owner of the site that was focused on Civ2 and its scenarios.
Old July 18, 2000, 18:40   #3
MarkG

it would also be nice for us to have visitors who appreciate our work and who dont ignore four years of work in a second, but that's life...
[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited July 18, 2000).]

Old July 18, 2000, 18:47   #4
DanQ

"he got advertising from DanQ"

It was not 'advertising' -- I never endorsed what he was selling. He simply asked me to make a news item about the product, and I did. I stuck to the facts. (I have removed the story).

"who obviously never plays old Civ2"
I most certainly do. I do not have as much time to play it as I would like to, between school, family, volunteer commitments and Apolyton.

"He also said he would look into the Civ2 Short-Tips section spamming on another thread, but... clearly Civ2 is the bastard-stepchild of Apolyton"

CivII is not the "bastard stepchild of Apolyton". Where did this come from? And to say that I need to put more "focus on CivII and its scenarios"... come on. I have worked dilligently to post previews of up-and-coming works in our CivII section, and have always been supportive of such creations. Have you seen these stories?

As for the Spamming-Tips part, yes, I admit I should have pursued this more when I said I would. For that I apologize.

Look Sten, I am doing the best job I can around here, but I am of course not perfect -- nor do I pretend to be -- and when I make mistakes I admit to them. Are you perfect? No. Is anyone perfect? No.

I am always open to criticism, but to the constructive kind (of which yours is mostly not).

----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
[This message has been edited by DanQ (edited July 18, 2000).]

Old July 18, 2000, 18:53   #5
Sten Sture
Emperor

Sorry sorry sorry!! That wasn't meant to sound so harsh!!

I really really appreciate all the incredible hard work that you guys put into this site.
Old July 18, 2000, 19:42   #6
Sten Sture
Emperor

D'oh! what an ass am I.

As a big fan of Apolyton, I just reread my post and it did sound really negative - I am embarrassed, I was just being flipant, and trying to draw attention to "my" area of primary interest.

Of course since I only play Civ2, I want you to devote 100% of your resources to just that product - which is totally unrealistic.

I'll leave my post above alone to make a public spectical of me being a thoughtless ass, especially to DanQ.

You guys are awesome and I sincerely apologize for appearing to question your effort and focus. I am a huge fan of Apolyton and the work that both of you do here. Please do not let my off hand remarks make you think that that is not the case.

Regretfully,

Sten Sture
Old July 19, 2000, 00:20   #7
Smash
Emperor

Would you pay?
At the Civ Fanatics forums there is a guy that has compiled a chart of spaceships and the different configurations travel times.He is tryin to SELL it for $2.Would you pay $2 for something that is available for free?I don't think so.He also has made some maps which he so graciously is offering for free.What a guy!
Old July 19, 2000, 00:59   #8
Hasdrubal
Prince

Local Time: 23:40
WTF !

------------------
Hasdrubal's Home.
Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.
Old July 19, 2000, 14:30   #9
Legman

Just wanted to say I agree fully with the last four posts here. Everyone I've ever known here appreciate the hard work of DanQ and MarkG, even though most of us don't know half of it because we only visit parts of the side.

And I really respect Sten too (always have) for reckognizing his wrong wording of the infamous post and for leaving it up all the same. And that's all it was, wrong wording. I'm sure of this.

Old July 19, 2000, 14:37   #10
Smash
Emperor

Ya know,its not that easy to find a complete list of ss configurations...hint..hint...
Old July 19, 2000, 18:54   #11
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hey, Smash, you've got a mouse and a finger to click it with!

*finbar laughs up his sleeve, fully confident Smash will do the hard work for him*

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old July 20, 2000, 14:45   #12
MarkG

thanks for the kinds words Sten....

Old July 20, 2000, 22:25   #13
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 16:40
Although, you should always use words like "flagellate" when penning a truly repentant note!

------------------
"And now for something completely different..."
- John Cleese
Old July 21, 2000, 03:07   #14
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well, p'raps in Kansas, anyway.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old July 23, 2000, 11:35   #15
SandMonkey
Prince

Local Time: 16:40
isn't there a list of the spaceship parts at Civ2: Scolls of Ancient Wisdom?? Admittedly it's not EVERY ship... but still.

------------------
SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
-Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
"It's just a flesh wound!"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site
Old July 23, 2000, 16:07   #16
Ken Hinds
Prince

Local Time: 17:40
I'm reasonably certain that the thread was posted around Sep or Oct '98, but there is a whole thread in either the General or Strategy forum giving configurations and timings of different SS combinations and the best way to put them together against the AI.

Ken
Old July 24, 2000, 02:36   #17
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 18:40
Hell, I'm just amazed Dan and Mark even visit here. So any chance of me getting a moderatorship Mark?

No Ming, it's not what you think