Old November 3, 2001, 12:33   #1
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 11:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Problem with luxuries
So I started my first game as the French, and I am surrounded by gold-filled mountains and hills. I built a road from my capital to the nearest gold mountain, which was just inside my borders, and I got... nothing. No gold showed up in my "luxuries" box. I added a mine, just in case. Nothing. Just outside my borders was a clump of incense squares; I built a road plus a colony, and I received some luxurious incense. My nations potheads and college girls are much happier now. But why can't I get the gold? I can't build a colony within my own borders. Do I have to colonize some gold outside of my borders? I was under the impression that you only need to build a road from your capital to the resource in question to receive the benefit, if the resource lay within your territory. That's how I got iron. Anyone else experience this or know what I'm doing wrong?
Old November 3, 2001, 12:53   #2
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:56
Gold is not a luxury resource.
Old November 3, 2001, 12:55   #3
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 16:56
Gold is not a luxury ressource, but a bonus ressource. You´ll actually have to work that tile to enjoy the bonus (+4 commerce).
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old November 3, 2001, 12:58   #4
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Ayup, just realized that... seems a bit silly, doesn't it? Anyway, it is everywhere; literally, seven gold resources, all in a clump. Seems bizarre, doesn't it? Also have four cattle in a clump. Two game in clump. Three incense in a clump. I've only got three cities, but I've already hit on both strategic resources that have been revealed. Seems that some people don't have enough resources, while I have an embarrassment of riches. Perhaps it's a function of randomizing the age of the planet?
Old November 3, 2001, 13:35   #5
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

The resources intentionally clump like that. Makes sense too, since in the real world natural resources tend to be in big pockets.
This is partially done in CIvIII to make luxury and strat resource 'monopolies', and to promote inter-civ trading.
Old November 3, 2001, 13:45   #6
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 07:56
don't complain and hang on to your extra luxuries. You will be delighted later on in the game that you have them, as they make great trading tools for money/tech/other luxuries.