Old November 3, 2001, 15:28   #1
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 10:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Newbie Questions
Is it possible that all the whiny, cranky threads could be merged into a single pile of stench and maybe archived or something? For you Apolyton verterans who like the new game for what it is — A NEW GAME — can you give me some idea of how long it usually takes for the malcontents and sissies to clear out after a game's new release? I'd like to know how long it will be before the useful threads outnumber the nutwad threads. Too much wasted time and clicking. Or is it just this site? Would the mods be happier if people like me (people who like the game and would like to discuss it) went elsewhere? Did this happen with Civ2?
Old November 3, 2001, 15:30   #2
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

What do you expect...
Everybody had their own opinion of what to expect. Some are happy... and some just have to whine. Give it time, it will settle down eventually. While I'm not a big fan of it yet... more game time is needed before I jump off the cliff
Old November 3, 2001, 15:48   #3
Libertarian
King

I expect reasonableness, I guess. I don't mind seeing a point made about a bug or shortcoming, but the whining is just ridiculous. Here's what I mean:

Ordinary complaint

I think they should add the ability to select starting locations.

Melodramatic whine

Oh... My... God. Oh, Sid! Why hast thou forsaken me?! I was born with the Tandy version of Civ in my tiny little arms, and I grew up playing it every day. When my parents died in a car wreck, I stayed at home and played Civ instead of going to the funeral. And now, I've found that you've stabbed me in the back. How DARE you leave out the ability to select starting locations. Firaxis, you did this deliberately, just so you could release early and make a buck. And I don't want anybody to respond to this who has fewer than 2 bazillion posts. Only the greatest players in the world will understand how I feel.

-----

But I'll take your advice. I'll wait.
Old November 3, 2001, 16:00   #4
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 07:56
LOL @ Libertarian! Great satire!

Like Ming said, some people are bound to be dissatisfied, and some just like to whine. In time this forum will become a useful resource to those who want to learn about the game and enjoy it. Who knows, maybe even some of the whiners will learn that the game should be taken on it's own merits and not just as a Civ2 update.

And, if the problem doesn't resolve in a reasonable time, maybe the mods will consider a "Whiners Forum", you wanna whine? Post there!

I for one have jumped off the cliff, because, while retaining all of the charm, accessibility, and addictiveness of Civ1/2, it IS a brand new game and the old strategies just don't work. If I wanted to use the old strategies I'd play Civ2, but if I want to take the time to learn something new, I'll play Civ3!

John-SJ
Old November 3, 2001, 16:05   #5
Libertarian
King

Thanks for the encouragement, John. I suppose you're right. Whiners are wont to whine, and neither hell nor high water will assuage their slightest opportunity. I'm a patient man. While I wait for things to "get down to business" I can spend the time playing so that, when the serious discussions begin, maybe I'll be able to learn more from the context, or who knows, maybe even contribute something.
Old January 8, 2002, 16:13   #6
Libertarian
King

My oh my.
Old January 8, 2002, 16:31   #7
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 09:56
Never mind I get it now. It's then versus now. For a while there I thought Lib had finally regained his sanity. Now I understand he still nuts.

(JK, Were all nuts, I still got work to do before I go home and still I sit here.......)

Last edited by ACooper; January 8, 2002 at 17:37.
Old January 8, 2002, 16:32   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 08:56
I had the commodore 64 version of Civ. Civ3 is just a mockery of that version.
Old January 8, 2002, 16:50   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 11:56
It has been said that converts are always the most zealous.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 8, 2002, 17:17   #10
nato
Prince

This is totally OT, but you are exactly correct Arrian! People who are fanatical about some sort of cause are fairly easy to turn fanatical about some other cause ...

Thats because the cause itself is irrelevent. A fanatic of some cause or mass movement usually has a very unsatisfactory life, or one that they feel has been ruined. The cause gives them meaning, a feeling of purpose ... and any cause will do!

This contrasts with most normal average people, who are too busy with their job, family, friends, normal life to feel very strongly about any sort of mass movement.

Either Hitler or Stalin said you could turn a zealous Communist into a zealous Nazi, or vice versa, but it was hard to turn a normal person into either one.

So if you run into a really fanatical Christian, Muslim, Nazi, Communist, Environmentalist, or whatever remember, that was just the cause he found first when he started looking for one...
Old January 8, 2002, 17:29   #11
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
My oh my.
Yeah... is is kind of funny under the circumstances...
What a difference a couple of months make