Old November 3, 2001, 15:39   #1
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 10:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
#%^@@ Governor
That damn governor is really starting to piss me off. And I can't TURN HIM OFF.

I'm playing as the persians, and whenever i finish ANYTHING in an inland city, infantry, tanks, artillery, jets, that #%#^@!@#% moron tells the city to produce IMMORTALS.

ARGH.

I've tried turning him off. I've told him to build NOTHING. To control NOTHING. i've done this repeatadly but that moron will NOT listen.

Why do I need a governor? The way firaxis has this game designed, you don't want to have more than a dozen or so cities. I used to be able to remember what every city and unit in my civ 2 army was suppsoed to be doing at any given time in an empire of 50 cities. They don't think i can handle a dozen?

I'm really getting sick of immortals.
Old November 3, 2001, 15:45   #2
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:56
Let me guess - you also turned off the ability to build structures and wealth, right?

It has to put something in the queue.
Old November 3, 2001, 15:57   #3
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

One of our design goals when we started to remake Civ3 was to reduce the number of pop-ups to an absolute minimum to make the game flow better. However, we have definetly heard that many of you are upset that you are not prompted when

a) your city goes into Civil Disorder
and
b) your city finishes a military unit

We will be addressing both of these issues in the patch (most likely as a pref...) Hope you can bear with us until then...
Old November 3, 2001, 16:03   #4
Kc7mxo
King

Well. Thanks for the reply. :-) It's nice to know that you are listening.

But its not like i have a chocie as to dealing with it, do I? Why can't we turn him OFF completly? I don't want a popup, I want the city to DO WHAT I TOLD IT TOO.
Old November 3, 2001, 16:06   #5
Akron
Prince

I heard that you can change the orders for the governer, but I can't figure out where...

It's annoying when during peace my cities start building riflemen and cavalry when I really don't need them and they'll only drag down my economy.
Old November 3, 2001, 16:11   #6
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond

Quote:
Originally posted by Kc7mxo

But its not like i have a chocie as to dealing with it, do I? Why can't we turn him OFF completly? I don't want a popup, I want the city to DO WHAT I TOLD IT TOO.
Not sure what you mean... Let's say you ordered the city to build, say, a Spearman. The city built a Spearman and then the Governor decided to start building an Immortal. How did the Governor not do what you told it to? Did you tell it never to build offensive ground units?
Old November 3, 2001, 16:17   #7
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:56
I LOVE the governors. Dont forget you can change city management AND city production. Just fiddle with the units/production dropdowns, and fiddle with the city/continent/civ drop downs. When I say fiddle I mean adjust to your liking. My governors build according to war/peace, and also keep me out of civil disorder. Next thing you know they'll be sleeping with me to get ahead. Yikes.
Old November 3, 2001, 16:29   #8
KoalaBear33
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Akron
I heard that you can change the orders for the governer, but I can't figure out where...
Press G when in the city screen. From there you can control the governor...

KoalaBear33
Old November 3, 2001, 19:34   #9
Wexu
Warlord

Local Time: 17:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis

Not sure what you mean... Let's say you ordered the city to build, say, a Spearman. The city built a Spearman and then the Governor decided to start building an Immortal. How did the Governor not do what you told it to? Did you tell it never to build offensive ground units?
I think everybody is meaning this:

(quote from Nemo's post)

Quote:
Governor ruining my game, please help me disable it...

Ok, maybe in the later stages of the game I will use the governor, but for now, I want to dictate my own buildings of unit/improvements/wonders. I have set it to "off" or "no" for EVERYTHING and made it the default. However, after I build a military unit it keeps switching production on me without asking, and it is pissing me off to no end. Remember in Civ II when you build an improvement it would ask you what to build next, but when you built a military unit it would just keep building them till you switched? how do I make it like that, but without filling the queue with 200 replicas of the same unit? I just want the city to pump out a particular unit, without using the queue.
I'm too very annoyed when governor switches my military productions and I don't want to fill every city's production queue with marines (or whatever I try to build) and the queues run to the end eventually then I realize that couple of cities is building Samurais or something stupid.

BOTTOM LINE: PLEASE ADD AN OPTION TO TURN OFF GOVERNORS.

It's nice that popup comes when you build an improvement, but I don't want to see popups when I mass product my armies. So if I build a marine, and when it's done, I want city to start another marine.

I hope this clears things up. And please, don't come to say to me that you can control what your governors build with governor screen..

Thank you.
Old November 3, 2001, 19:55   #10
Soren Johnson

Quote:
Originally posted by Wexu
It's nice that popup comes when you build an improvement, but I don't want to see popups when I mass product my armies. So if I build a marine, and when it's done, I want city to start another marine.
That does clear things up.... thanks!
Old November 3, 2001, 20:12   #11
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 01:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
When do you think the patch will be released?
Old November 3, 2001, 21:10   #12
ancient
Prince

why does the interface have to be so much harder to learn?

i remember a couple years back i didnt need a instruction manual just to figure out how to see the best citys in the world or how to establish an embassy with another civ

i didnt establish and embassy until the late 1800's

i'm sure once i learn all the shortcut keys it will be easier to play but i dont like it the way it is now..

why cant more things, be more apparent/have a link to them?

like pressing G for a govenor to pop up.. could'nt there be and icon in the city?
Old November 3, 2001, 21:10   #13
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 09:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Wexu
yes! yes! like in civ2, when a unit is done, it just keeps building THAT SAME UNIT. no extra pop-ups needed for unit builds. although, an _option_ for a pop-up is definately needed for civil disorders and maybe famine.

Last edited by Nemo; November 3, 2001 at 21:20.
Old November 3, 2001, 21:11   #14
Nemo
Prince

DP
Old November 3, 2001, 22:19   #15
Timeline
King

Ditto Wexu and Nemo!!

Soren, please listen to these guys!! I think they echo many other civers same thoughts!!
Old November 3, 2001, 22:35   #16
Nemo
Prince

also, while you are visiting here, it might be a nice idea to put terrain improvements under the active unit info (in the white info box in the lower right corner). so where it says "worker" and has the worker stats and the terrain that the worker is on, like "moutain" ...under "mountain" put "mine" or "road" or "mine, road"

it is often hard to see what improvements have already been made to a square, esp. if there is a resource on them.

thanks

and i am sure you've seen lots of posts about this, but the "Video Mode=1600" (or whatever resolution) is nice, and well needed, but it currently doesnt work.
Old November 3, 2001, 22:38   #17
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:56
With 'wealth' as a build option from the start, it would be good that once a unit is finished being built, it will just continue to build those units without a pop-up. It is easy to limit unit production by queueing up 'wealth' at the end of the production order.

I think that is how it was done in SMAC.
Old November 3, 2001, 22:48   #18
IBNobody
Chieftain

I agree, the governor can be annoying at times.

If I tell a city to produce a tank, I only want ONE tank produced...not a tank and an immortal.

- Nobody
Old November 3, 2001, 22:51   #19
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by IBNobody
If I tell a city to produce a tank, I only want ONE tank produced...not a tank and an immortal.
but...but...the immortal is needed to drive the tank! (yeah, thats it!)

hehe
Old November 4, 2001, 00:10   #20
Kc7mxo
King

This is the exactly my complaint. But I do NOT WANT A GOVERNOR.

The game has obviously been designed to prevent you from creating a large empire, so there is no longer much of a need for an automated control system. With the few enough cities we are "permitted" to use effectivly, anyone can keep the system under control without some nitwit governor switching production.
Old November 4, 2001, 00:22   #21
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Sheesh you can turn the governer's abilities off - but you have to allow him to build wealth(atleast) because it has to have something in the queue. The governer never changes things mid production, only when things are done.
Old November 4, 2001, 09:48   #22
Qnuc.dk
Chieftain

The goverment is a very nice new feature

Eternity Units produktion,

go to city and shift+mouse1 for the unit you want to build
and shift+mouse1 click as many units you want

there should have been a ctrl+shift+mouse1 on unit which could stand for eternity (just like the wealth is eternity)

And it would be nice to see a build report for every round

When you have build something you just map zoom around to the citys and a little quick txt message appeas like

- 'we love the saint' celebrated ended

WHy not have a nice report list which would be visible and scrollable at the bottom screen :

-----------------------------------
Report list French- 1695 AD

- Maseilles - 'we love the saint' celebrated ended
- Bayonne - Horseman build
- Strasbough - Pollution occured
- Strasbough - Civil disorder
- Lille - Barracks build
------------------------------------
Old November 4, 2001, 14:27   #23
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Qnuc.dk
WHy not have a nice report list which would be visible and scrollable at the bottom screen :
thats what was done in CTPII and it was a pain in the arse. It is a good idea, but if it is done so that EVERY message comes up in the scroll box, then it becomes anoying...imo...because you have to wade through each messages. for example if a city is in, or out of WLTKD, i dont want to have to clear each city from the box for something that is not that important, but if a city is in disorder, that is something worth while to put in a scroll box, or pop up. but they need to do it so that it is not information overkill, in which case it would make the game lose that "one more turn". the game would become "man, i hate clearing the scroll box...lets call it a night instead, and play some more later."
so, in all, it is a good idea if done right ...but i am confident that they will make a good decision on this for the patch.
Old November 5, 2001, 22:44   #24
morb
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:56
Quote:
Originally posted by ancient
why does the interface have to be so much harder to learn?

i remember a couple years back i didnt need a instruction manual just to figure out how to see the best citys in the world or how to establish an embassy with another civ

i didnt establish and embassy until the late 1800's

i'm sure once i learn all the shortcut keys it will be easier to play but i dont like it the way it is now..

why cant more things, be more apparent/have a link to them?

like pressing G for a govenor to pop up.. could'nt there be and icon in the city?
yeah, all the menus have been axed. But the worst part is that there isn't even a quick reference card. Luckily there is an appendix in the manual that lists ALL keyboard controls, but there really should have been a card. The embassy biz messed me up too, because in civilopedia all it says is "douple click on the capitol _icon_." HUH? WHAT? WHERE is this icon? it took me a while to figure out you have to double click the effin STAR, next to the capitol name. BIZZAR. def. poorly thought out and documented. The whole interface is counter-intuitive. sorry.

I guess you guys haven't played SMAC though? Because of all this *****ing about governers. What's the point of leaving the city to build the last unit you set it to build over and over and over? If your a control freak like me, you set up a queue and end it with "wealth" or whatever. When was the last time you needed to build more than 10 military units per city? that easily fits in the queue and you always have control.

what I want, is an option to skip the popup when a city completes an improvement and there are still items in the queue like in SMAC. That's really annoying. If I setup the queue the way I did, there must have been a reason for it, no need to nag me about it.
Old November 5, 2001, 22:56   #25
Kindbud
Chieftain

Yes, Morb!

Exactly. Same with the Research setup... If I decide to go after a big multistep research project then Why do I have to click ok at each step? It might be ok if I could hit the enter key to close the menu box and keep right on going but I can't so one more "take time to move the mouse to confirm action that adds to game time micromanagement" exsists...
Old November 5, 2001, 23:00   #26
Bakunine
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemo

thats what was done in CTPII and it was a pain in the arse. It is a good idea, but if it is done so that EVERY message comes up in the scroll box, then it becomes anoying...imo...because you have to wade through each messages. for example if a city is in, or out of WLTKD, i dont want to have to clear each city from the box for something that is not that important, but if a city is in disorder, that is something worth while to put in a scroll box, or pop up. but they need to do it so that it is not information overkill, in which case it would make the game lose that "one more turn". the game would become "man, i hate clearing the scroll box...lets call it a night instead, and play some more later."
so, in all, it is a good idea if done right ...but i am confident that they will make a good decision on this for the patch.
I want a end of turn summary. To avoid it being to long it must have some custumization so you can put to appear only stuff you want.

Also a feature like this: left click zoom to "xyz", right click delete message immediatly. That way even with some non important messages it goes fast.
Old November 5, 2001, 23:37   #27
Vladimir Taltos
Settler

Governer and Wealth
I went into the governer settings, tweaked them so that wealth is often and military units are never. However, it continues to automatically change to my UU military units. Even after I go into each city and manually select wealth, the governer automatically switches back to the UU (Legionerre). This is extremly frustrating, as I am pre-currency still and trying to maintain a neutral or positive income.
Old November 6, 2001, 00:53   #28
Kc7mxo
King

Quote:
I guess you guys haven't played SMAC though? Because of all this *****ing about governers. What's the point of leaving the city to build the last unit you set it to build over and over and over? If your a control freak like me, you set up a queue and end it with "wealth" or whatever. When was the last time you needed to build more than 10 military units per city? that easily fits in the queue and you always have control.
nope. didn't care much for the color palette.

Uh. have you ever engaged in a war in this game? When your tanks are being killed by swordsmen you sorta need a steady supply.

I did the unpleasant, however, and gave my governor permission to produce ground offensive units. And while most of the time he's willing to produce cavalry (i started a new game) every now and then he changes it to immortals. and he even built a warrior once.

oh well.
Old November 6, 2001, 02:19   #29
morb
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:56
Quote:

nope. didn't care much for the color palette.
you missed out on a great game.

Quote:
Uh. have you ever engaged in a war in this game? When your tanks are being killed by swordsmen you sorta need a steady supply.

I did the unpleasant, however, and gave my governor permission to produce ground offensive units. And while most of the time he's willing to produce cavalry (i started a new game) every now and then he changes it to immortals. and he even built a warrior once.

oh well.
So let me get this straight, you have maybe 15 cities, 3 of which are useless territory/resourse hogs and another 2 building improvements. you have 10 cities which, if they have a high production, can pump out 1 unit every 2-4 turns. setting up a queue of 10 items in each gives you 100 units in the space of 20 to 40 turns.... if you're at war this long, either you've made your mark on the enimy or they've put their foot up your ass. Once the queue runs down, just add more.

Last edited by morb; November 6, 2001 at 02:24.
Old November 6, 2001, 18:50   #30
Jeff George
Settler

Quote:

Yeah, it's not like when you've just produced a new unit in the city, AND THE FREAKIN' UNIT IS FLASHING IN THE CITY THAT JUST BUILT IT, that you can change what that city is producing, is it?

"Hm, this is my new Spearman in Berlin. He is waiting for orders. His circle is active, meaning I can now give him orders, while he is standing in Berlin. Hm. I wonder what Berlin is building now. Oh, wait. It is shown beneath the city of Berlin, in which my new unit is standing. It says building Temple. Silly governor. He is deciding to build a Temple for me. I don't want to build a Temple in Berling right now. How do I change what is being built in Berlin? Oh, the dilemma!!!"