Old November 4, 2001, 01:44   #1
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 08:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sick of negativism?
If you are sick of all the trash talk about Civ3 I would suggest going to the Strategy forums for a break. I did and it was refreshing to read post after post from people who are having a great time with the game.
It really lifted my Civ spirit.
Old November 4, 2001, 01:49   #2
Diety
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:59
Yep, people there are more open minded and positive about the game... Really refreshing
Old November 4, 2001, 01:51   #3
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 09:59
I could probably be put in to the "negative" category and I didn't realize there was so much of it because I haven't been reading the forums because I've been spending too much time playing the game!

Anyway, I had a ball the first couple days finding out all the new features, but after that novelty wore off I got a better look at what was really going on and was a bit disappointed.

But it's only been a few days, and I hope my attitude will change, and I think most of my criticism can be fixed *easily*, and I hope they will. If Firaxis attempts to patch things in response to what people are saying I really can't complain

But it's not surprising that new problems have arisen from a game that hasn't had the benefit of being tested by thousands of people yet. That's where the real testing is done and I'm surprised they didn't do any open beta testing but I'm guessing it was some financial issue and I won't go into that here.

Anyway, I'm glad I got Civ3 and I'm still optimistic that the game will turn out great since it has so much potential that can easily be fully realized.
Old November 4, 2001, 03:36   #4
Kedryn
Settler

Local Time: 15:59
The negativitism has actually been a good thing for me to be reading. It's convinced me to wait a while before I buy this game to see if a patch adds any of the features that I consider 'missing'.
This is a good thing, as it has saved me some $50. But the whole "is not" "are too" "is not" "are too" screaming matches that go back and forth on both sides, well... those are not good.
Old November 4, 2001, 04:23   #5
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 08:59
I admit that constructive criticism is useful. How else is Firaxis supposed to produce a patch if they don't know what's wrong with it. I just have become fatigued by the onslaught of anti-civ3ism. It's nice to have a break!
Old November 4, 2001, 06:52   #6
wal35
Chieftain

I must admit to being amazed by the level of negativity to be found on these forums (Strategies and Stories aside)

Firaxis appear to me to be unbelievably accomodating to the fans they posted on these forums during the game development and are still doing so now, listening to problems and even answering them. Plus they give you an editor out of the box that allows you to modify the game if you don't agree with their design decisions.

What more can you ask for???

OK lot of people will answer with X, Y & Z but I think they should remember this is the real world and not some eutopian fantasy world.

In the end for the same price as a Friday night out you're getting a whole lot of enjoyment, even if it is just the enjoyment of whinging on Apolyton. Money well spent regardless

Roll on 16th Nov
Old November 4, 2001, 06:59   #7
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 01:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I must admit I weakening somewhat, I was going to hang out till Civ 3 MP was released but I am needing a new game, so perhpas I might get it when released in Australia... There hasnt been as muc bad stuff as people reckoned so it must be pretty good ...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old November 4, 2001, 14:59   #8
ndnls
Settler

Local Time: 11:59
I suppose that much of the Civ 3 antipathy can be attributed to
"Grognard Syndrome"

People that have played Civ since it first came out probably feel
that Sid "sold them out" by add different features and changing
the feel of civ. In order for civ to grow, they should add new
features, and not cater specificly to some small cadre of hard-core
fanatics. We may be more dedicated than the average fan, but
we're still only a small precentage of civ players

While some of their compliants are legitimate, like no MP or
senario editor, some, are just whining about thing that don't even
detract from one's enjoyment of the game. So the graphics are
ugly. They get the job done.

I guess its a case of a cult phenomena reaching main-stream
status, meaning it's no longer the preserve of the priviliged
few, so upset vets, feeling angry, decide to rip the game to
bloody shreads, rather than giving it a fair chance.

That, or their still mad about CtP
Old November 4, 2001, 16:13   #9
D4everman
Prince

I'm suprised that peple think the graphics are ugly. I mean, what did they expect? Geez, if the only complaint someone can come up with is the graphics are ugly, they're just whining.
Old November 4, 2001, 16:46   #10
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 12:59
I don't have Civ3 yet (I hope my copy arrives this week), but yes, I'm sick of all the negativism.

I DO believe that some critics are really constructive (the missing features, bugs etc.), but I can't understand some things I have been reading here lately...

It seems that a lot of people are complaining that the AI cheats. Oh, big surprise! How can the AI be challenging if it doesn't cheat? Maybe in the future we can have an AI that really "thinks", that can compete with a human on an equal level. But, for now, this is the best you can get: AI that cheats.

People always seemed to complain that the AI was way too easy before. I heard people saying "SMAC AI is so stupid", "CTP AI is so passive", and now that the AI seemingly can counter our old strategies, we start to complain that it cheats? As someone said, we were always wanting a tougher AI, and now we want the game to be patched so it becomes easier?

I know, I know... the AI should not be cheating more, it should be smarter... but, since that ain't gonna happen, how can this challenge be bad? If Firaxis would not change the AI and implemented the same AI that Civ2 had, wouldn't everyone be complaining about how Civ3 is sooo easy?

I think you just cannot please everyone...