Old November 4, 2001, 10:41   #1
IamB
Settler

Local Time: 10:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Solution to corruption!
Hey everyone, I know this is my first post, but I've been reading this board for a long time. I never really had much to add before since I learned most of my advanced strategies for Civ 2 by reading the message board. Anyway, I know you guys don't care about that, you want to know how to deal with corruption.

In my current game I have 30+ cities, I'm playing on a huge map, and most of my cities are quite far from the capitol. Most of the outer cities were producing 1 shield after corruption. After reading the instruction manual (gee, why would I do that? ) I saw what the "We Love the King Day" does. This morning I tested it out, and wow, what a difference! I set luxuries to 40% so every city that was large enough went into WLTKD. Now most of my faraway cities are losing less that 40% of production to corruption, and I haven't even finished building the forbidden palace. Luxuries are a MUST in this game. ICS will work in Civ 3, you just need to pump up the luxuries to a level you've never been used to.

To be honest I feel bad that it works so well, since I was hoping ICS would be a thing of the past, but even the computer seems to try and get every bit of land, like you would do using the infinite city sprawl technique. Corruption only slows this process down.

I hope everyone finds this useful, since I only really like to post if I have something to add. If I do find anything else out I'll post, but I'm sure most of you will figure out strategies far superior to mine.

Good luck!

B

edit: You still need to build courthouses and take other steps to reduce corruption if you want to get good commerce and science in your distant cities. Some cities it might even be worth rushbuilding courthouses if you have the cash.
Old November 4, 2001, 15:41   #2
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:01
Good Points. Well done. Thanks.
Old November 4, 2001, 17:28   #3
Barry Brenesal
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:01
The problem with pumping up luxuries to 40% is that you still need to give a healthy amount of your GNP to science, and have enough left in the till to at least break even. I find the luxuries route you've described can't work with the other two points; and in any case, it has a much lower effect on corruption once you're above Chieftain level, because luxuries no longer make many of your citizens happy. Instead, it only compensates for their generally miserable mood.