Old November 4, 2001, 14:39   #1
Aislyn
Settler

Local Time: 16:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
newbie question about wonder building
Please excuse me if this question seems dumb, but I can't figure out why some of my cities have the option of building a particular wonder but the others don't? For an example, Colossus. One of my cities has the option of building this...but my capital city doesn't. Why? I take it that it has to do with the resource available? All the cities are linked by roads...
Old November 4, 2001, 14:41   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:02
Some of them have terrain requirements....Colossus and Magellens voyage must be built on the coast, Hoover Dam must be built with a river in the city radius, etc.
Old November 4, 2001, 14:43   #3
CBH
Warlord

The Colossus has to be built in a coastal city (given that the real one stood astride the harbour at Rhodes). It mentions that in the Civilopedia, but I missed it my first game

Also, as far as I can see, if you start building a Wonder in one city, you can't build it simultaneously in another city, presumably to avoid the old 'switch to another one when you get the tech' cheat.
Old November 4, 2001, 14:45   #4
Aislyn
Settler

Doh! That explains it!

Thanks.
Old November 4, 2001, 15:45   #5
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Local Time: 12:02
Quote:
Originally posted by CBH
The Colossus has to be built in a coastal city (given that the real one stood astride the harbour at Rhodes). It mentions that in the Civilopedia, but I missed it my first game

Also, as far as I can see, if you start building a Wonder in one city, you can't build it simultaneously in another city, presumably to avoid the old 'switch to another one when you get the tech' cheat.
THAT was one of my favorite tactics, coupled and Doubled-Yoked with ICS, put several cities on building wonders, several X 2 building defensive and bombard units as well as workers to fill those wonder-building cities, but alas...~sigh~.it cant be done!!..~grrrr~..DRATS!!

Yours in Civin

Troll
Old November 4, 2001, 15:50   #6
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:02
Yes, I also noticed it today. No fast Hoover Dam.

But you can still start building a palace and switch to some wonder.