Old November 4, 2001, 19:09   #1
Barshy
Warlord

Local Time: 16:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Won't the AI offer anything?
Civ3 made an awesome move by allowing players to completely craft your own deals in diplomacy, but have they erred in the other direction?

In Civ2, others would ask you to form alliances and offer money and technology to get you to declare war on people.

In Civ3, I have not ONCE received an offer from the AI regarding luxuries or resources they need, or enemies they'd like me to help in crushing. Why is this?

I'm not saying that the AI needs to be begging at my feet for things all the time, it would just be nice if everytime they contacted me it wasn't to trade world maps.
Old November 4, 2001, 19:17   #2
BiggN
Settler

Local Time: 18:03
The game REALLY kicks in when people start to have Tanks.

The amount of World War's i've seen so far is just GREAT.

I've had them ask me, not often, but a couple.

Didn't offer much, but when they want your world map *and you don't need theirs, i.e. after the first time you've recived it*

Deny them the Map, then goto the trade section, put down the map, and ask them what they would give you for it..

They normally offer the 20-40 gold that they have in stock, and sometimes some other interesting things *i.e. Furs, Silk, etc..etc..*
Old November 4, 2001, 23:42   #3
Peterk
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:03
The AI definitely does deal for treaties.

I'm near the bottom of the civ pecking order (it's close but I'm definitely one of the wannabe civs) in a great name and I just had one of the other leaders who's struggling to hold on get in touch for a mutual protection pact and he said something like "we both know that we have to stick together".

I've also been asked for military alliances by the AI a few times.

Also trading resources is definitely more interesting when you avoid the one for ones. You seem to get a better deal by plopping the resource down on the table and ask what they're willing to offer/take for it.