Old November 4, 2001, 19:59   #1
Kautilya
King

Local Time: 10:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Reducing the time between turns.
Sadly this is one problem from past games that seems to be just as bad as ever.

After every turn the AI takes ages just moving its units to and fro sometimes without any purpose. This seriously cuts down the enjoyment factor and I don't think I am alone here.

A couple of questions:
I read that holding shift down speeds up things but I haven't noticed it in the game. Has it worked for anyone else?

Even if it did work it's painful just holding down the shift key all the time. Would it be possible , in a patch , to have this option which you can switch on without having to press a key after every turn.

Otherwise would it be possible to have an option where you can't see enemy units unless they enter your border.?

I don't think reducing AI turn time should be that difficult and I bet it will save time and increase enjoyment for most players.

In general I seriously wonder why this "useless movement syndrome" on the part of the AI is so difficult to program away. .Anyone with programming knowledge care to explain why this problem hasn't been solved?
Old November 4, 2001, 20:26   #2
August Borms
Prince

Local Time: 17:04
Holding shift only speeds up the visible movement of units. (and not by much)

Civ2 Earth map, 16 civs, Industrial Age takes about 30 seconds before it's my turn if there are not battles, and 10 more seconds before I can play, which is much better than Civ2/CTP2.
I think the time between turns is ok, not bad but not great either...

I wish there was some kind of "don't show enemy moves" option like in CTP2 though, because most of those 30 seconds was just the enemy visibly moving its units. And something to speed up the battles would be nice, because they take alot of time (especially if your unit becomes veteran/elite)
Old November 4, 2001, 20:31   #3
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 11:04
Well, my compadre, as I see it, you're complaining about two problems. The first is the actual length of the turn.

1.) Upgrade your computer. Faster the proccessor, the less real time it will take to calculate the AI's decisions.

2.) Lower the number of the opponents.

The second is the movement of enemy units on your border. This has been a problem since civ 1. except then they were just sitting inside your city areas. The only option here is really to annilate your opponent.

With current options, or LACK of them, you can't turn off the viewing of enemy moves as you could in civ 2. This is a very unfortunate loss as far as I'm concerned.
Old November 4, 2001, 20:38   #4
Kautilya
King

Local Time: 10:04
Yes, well my main beef is with problem 2 because as I see it it could easily have been avoided as mentioned here by giving us the option to stop seeing enemy moves outside one's borders. That by itself would have cut down the annoyance factor a lot.

I don't think this should take much time to program so hopefully if enough of us speak out about it, they can include it in a patch.