Old September 13, 2000, 01:49   #1
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 10:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Removing Events
I've copied a senario into a different directory and am attempting to modify it. However, despite deleting the old events file, the damn senario keeps remembering the old events.

I seem to remember that there's some way to rectify this, but I seem to have forgotton it. Could someone remind me what it is I have to do?

------------------
If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error
-John Kenneth Galbraith
[This message has been edited by Case (edited September 13, 2000).]
Old September 13, 2000, 06:48   #2
Gothmog
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 20:09
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Your problem is that the events are embedded in the save file. The events.txt you see in you scenarios directory is a mere copy of the internal events. Changing it will make no difference. There are two ways to get rid of embedded events.

1. There's a program in you civ directory called delevent.exe. You can purge embedded events by dragging and dropping your save file to it. It will run briefly in a DOS window. The next time you load your save file into CIV2, the new events will embed themselves once again. If you prefer to modify events using a text editor, then you must use delevent each time you modify events externally.

2. Another way to get rid of the embedded events is to use the events editor in the game (FW, MGE only) and delete them one at a time. Before you do this, you must backup your external events.txt, otherwise you will lose them!!!! When you delete all of the events in-game, then you'll have a events.txt with no events.
While this method is tedious, it has one advantage. It will remove the embedded events permananently. This is advantageous if you prefer to edit the events externally.

------------------
"There is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp."
Old September 14, 2000, 09:00   #3
a_bates
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:09
I may be wrong but I think when you reload the saved game (that you have just deleted events from) it does not pick up the new events file. I am pretty sure you have to use the cheat menu once you have loaded your saved game and resave it as a scenario. When you load the scenario only then will it pick up the new events file.
[This message has been edited by a_bates (edited September 14, 2000).]
Old September 14, 2000, 09:07   #4
a_bates
Chieftain

In fact, do you actually need the delevent.exe program. In Spartacus all it says you have to do is save the game as a scenario and then reload it and at that point the new events are loaded. I must admit I have not tried this yet - I am due to complete stage 1 tonight.

If you check out the Scanrio Building tips on the Scenario League site it gives a clear insight into all this.
Old September 14, 2000, 09:28   #5
a_bates
Chieftain

Here is what is said in the section I mentioned:

How do events get embedded into the SAV or SCN files? The first way is by entering events using the FW editor. The second way is by executing this sequence of events:

*If you create a SCN file based on that particular SAV file [one that had embedded events], you will now have a SCN with embedded events.

This implies that what Alex recommends for Spartacus, which is simply to save as a scenario and then copy the new events file into the spartacus directory will not work. You will end up with a scn file that has embedded events.

Can you run the delents.exe program on this scn file or do you have to create a saved game first, run the delevent.exe on that and then create a scn file from that?

Can someone please clear up this confusion because I think I've now managed to confuse everyone including myself. it's funny I thought I had grasped this embedded events issue when I started.

Old September 14, 2000, 10:06   #6
Gothmog
Prince

If you delete events from a save file using delevent, it will load events.txt. Of course you have to write over the same file to re-imbed them.
If you delete events one by one with the game events editor, it won't read them in from events.txt. That is the advantage of that method.
Old September 15, 2000, 08:15   #7
a_bates
Chieftain

If you save as a scenario does that EVER include events?
Old September 15, 2000, 15:07   #8
Allard HS
Prince

Local Time: 02:09
Gothmog,
with the FW events editor, the same problem still remains. I know, cause I mostly use it, preferably to writing it by hand. Remove a line, reload the game, and it will be back.

No, the only real ways are DELEVENTS.EXE, saving as a scenario (in which case it automatically deletes the events), or by removing it through hex-editing.

Saving as a scenario does indeed remove the embedded events, which makes sense cause it works perfectly in Spartacus. It has always done so for me, at least. Maybe it works otherwise under MGE ??
Old September 16, 2000, 00:27   #9
Gothmog
Prince

a_bates,
I am puzzled about the answer to that question myself.
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Events will be embedded in the scenario file if the save file you create the scenario from has them embedded and you haven't run delevent on them. I'm not sure what happens when delevent has been used.

------------------
"There is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp."
Old September 16, 2000, 00:45   #10
a_bates
Chieftain

And yet, in Spartacus all you have to do is save the game as a scenario copy over the new evenyts file and start the new scenario again and it picks up the new events file.

:confused

Anyone else out there help?
[This message has been edited by a_bates (edited September 15, 2000).]
Old September 18, 2000, 07:10   #11
a_bates
Chieftain

No it work fine in MGE too. That is what I use. Thanks for your answers.