Old September 14, 2000, 15:30   #1
Alexandre Madeira
Warlord

Local Time: 00:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Resuming work on ToT Mod Pack/Scenario
Hey everyone!!!
I will finally resume work on my ToT Mod pack / scenario, the Space one I talked about so long ago.
I've not completed it mainly due to lack of time, but I also gave up lots of times when I couldnt find a good way to make units able to transport from an Earth map to a Star map. I want units from earth to show up in a location representing Earth in the Star map, only way to do that is to allow units to use a single transport location in the whole Earth map. I think I found a solution, I hope :-)

There are 4 maps, one represents the Earth, the second represents other planets, each planet (except earth) is 5x5 squares with only a few exceptions. The third represents solar systems, the scale is not realistic, but I used a starmap from Elite 2 to come up with a star map, so you get Alpha Centauri below Sol, Bernards Star to the left, Beta Hydri way down there, Vega on top left, stuff like that, and the planets are based on the star type, there are white, yellow, orange and red stars, radiated, terran, toxic, gas giant and barren planets. White stars have more radiated and gas giants, red stars have more toxic and barren planets, orange and yellow are the better ones, maximun of 4 planets per star, 42 solar systems, with a few empty spaces, the star map is kinda divided in 8x10 sectors, some of those sectors have no system in them. 42 systems with 1 to 4 planets each is more than enough.

Then, each planet in the star map leads to the 5x5 squares (whatever) in the 2nd map that represents the planets where you'll be able to build cities. Except the Gas Giants and the stars of course.
So you can for instances colonize Mars and Venus.

This is how it will work (what I came up with so far):
Build some wonder and you'll get a settler unit in the 2nd planetary map where the Moon will be located, there you can build a star port that will link the Moon to somewhere in the Everest mountains. Only a few units will be able to use the star port. And of those units, some will be able to automatically move from the moon to the Star map, showing up in the hex representing Earth or another hex orbiting Earth.

There will be units capable of reaching the other planets of our solar system, automatically moving from the star map to the planetary map, so you'll be able to build colonies on mars and venus. You'll also be able to build colonies in the star map, orbiting the planets. You'll need those to build the big space ships, since they cant be built on planets. Because you'll have a total of 5 ground squares per planet where you can build the orbiting colonies, but between the planets there's "sea". Also, each solar system is inside an unmovable terrain square, so the only way to move between stars, is to build ships capable of transporting to the 4th map, a map with nothing but "sea" and the stars, also where the stars name will be seen using barbarian cities you wont be able to capture.

I just remembered something as I was writing this, a problem im going to have to find a solution.

Right now I want to know if there's anyone who could help with the events, since I dont have experience with them, though I know what they can do.

------------------
Alexandre Madeira
I create worlds.

Old September 20, 2000, 15:01   #2
Roman
King

Local Time: 00:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hmm, sounds interesting. How did you create different sized planets? I thought they all have to be the same size.