Old November 5, 2001, 15:35   #1
dennis580
Warlord

Local Time: 10:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I would like to appogize to Yin; Civ III is definately a dissapointment
Unfornately I am going to have to admit that Yin was right. Civ III has some major issues that really ruin the game.

#1. It's way too easy too not only only rack up gold on Deity, but also stay at the top of the tech race. All you have too do is go to the bargaining table of every civ you know on every turn(before they have the chance to trade thier techs to other civs). When you see a civ has a new tech; trade then a lump some of cash for it. Then go around and trade that tech to every other Civ you know for gold per turn. Keep repeating this process and you will not only be racking up a ton of gold, but you will also be staying right near the top of the tech race.

#2. To make matters even worse. This keeps the Civs polite most of the time and they will never attack even if you only have 3 or 4 military units. I had a couple of citys totally undefended, but the computer won't declare war on me after all of the trading I do with them. Once in while they will demand tribute, but it's usually just a small amount of gold and is no big deal.

How in the hell can the playtesters missed this stuff. Yin was right Firaxis should have spent several more months playtesting this game. Civ III is a dissapointment.
Old November 5, 2001, 16:09   #2
Ralf
King

Local Time: 17:07
Quote:
Originally posted by dennis580
How in the hell can the playtesters missed this stuff. Yin was right Firaxis should have spent several more months playtesting this game. Civ III is a dissapointment.
Most of above is patch-fixable. Be sure to comment on it when its time to summarize a patch-request to Firaxis. In the meantime - just dont play the game that way. Just because you have the possibility to do it, doesnt necessarily mean that you must exploit it to the extreme.
Old November 5, 2001, 17:58   #3
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 12:07
Hmmmm. It's hard to comment. I'm certainly glad you don't feel hostile toward me anymore...that's good! Thanks.

Unforunately, we *are* in a situation in which if Civ3 gets left in its current condition with no further patching, it will be found lacking in too many ways. I am convinced a more open alpha/beta could have helped this process, but I get the feeling that Firaxis had its own internal issues that would have kept them from being able to program the fixes in time. Well, I guess that's stating something we know already.

I will say this: The core game has huge potential. Firaxis can still make this an awesome game. The question is: Will time and corporate suits allow it to happen?

Dennis: Keep giving your feedback on the patch threads. We might yet be surprised at what will come down the road.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 5, 2001, 18:02   #4
treedom
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:07
You know, that reminds me of a huge problem with civ2. They had this cheat menu in there and it was all to easy to give yourself unlimited money if you went in there. I mean, the rest of the game was awesome...but that made it all to easy.

In other words, if you find the exploit so offensive, refrain from using it. I doubt the AI does, so it's not as if it'd put you at a dissadvantage.
Old November 5, 2001, 20:29   #5
HisMajestyBOB
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by treedom
You know, that reminds me of a huge problem with civ2. They had this cheat menu in there and it was all to easy to give yourself unlimited money if you went in there. I mean, the rest of the game was awesome...but that made it all to easy.

In other words, if you find the exploit so offensive, refrain from using it. I doubt the AI does, so it's not as if it'd put you at a dissadvantage.
And in Civ2 there was this thing called ICS, which if used properly could win you nearly every game. THe game was great, but Mircoprose sent goons to force us to use ICS and the cheat menu

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!
Old November 5, 2001, 20:42   #6
dennis580
Warlord

Local Time: 10:07
The AI does a lot of Tech selling on Deity. That's why you have to check the bargaining table every turn so you can buy the tech and sell it too the other civs. Anyway this really,really slows the game down.

Anyway I think what I might do is add some house rules and set the diffculty level back to regent. I will set my governor prefernces at the start of the game and give my governors total controle of my cities and never interfere with them, I will set all my workers to automate, and I will never use the bargaining table. If the computer comes to with me a deal I can still choose to accept it though.

One of the things this will do is really speed the game up. The game came to a grinding halt when I was checking the bargaing table with every civ on every turn.

Perhaps this will make the game fun because so far I have not had very much fun playing Civ III.
Old November 5, 2001, 21:05   #7
treedom
Chieftain

oops...wrong thread...sorry