Old November 5, 2001, 21:26   #1
2dfx
Settler

Local Time: 02:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
solution to strategic resources problem - black market
I haven't got civ 3 yet but reading around I see there is a problem with lack of vitally important strategic rsources and no way to get them.

There should be a black market where you pay extremely high prices to get important resources you can't get to smugglers.

Considering how much corruption there is now, it makes sense right?
Old November 5, 2001, 22:37   #2
Timeline
King

Local Time: 11:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How about just having to pay more for the units/improvements that you want to build if you don't have the resources you need . . .

This sounds much more reasonable than the "have it or don't have" ideology.
Old November 5, 2001, 22:47   #3
Panzerschrek
Settler

Local Time: 16:09
Oh no! The tension when you cannot do build a unit because of a lack of a resource is exciting. It is exciting because you feel a sense of urgency in attempting to aquire the resource, like going to war or making peace with an enemy to trade for the resource. I like it the way it is, adds flavor. Of course, making it an option couldent hurt anyone.
Old November 5, 2001, 23:00   #4
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 10:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Timeline
How about just having to pay more for the units/improvements that you want to build if you don't have the resources you need . . .

This sounds much more reasonable than the "have it or don't have" ideology.
Yes, but then a strong commercial civilization would automatically become a strong military force. Which would lead, of course, to a simple Deity victory.
Spore page
Old November 5, 2001, 23:19   #5
Your.Master
Chieftain

Re: solution to strategic resources problem - black market
Quote:
Originally posted by 2dfx
I haven't got civ 3 yet but reading around I see there is a problem with lack of vitally important strategic rsources and no way to get them.

There should be a black market where you pay extremely high prices to get important resources you can't get to smugglers.

Considering how much corruption there is now, it makes sense right?
The thing is, I think this should be in, but the prices should be EXHORBITANT. As in a really rich country could keep this up for 3 turns before going broke. This is the sort of thing that could give you a few tanks to take those...oil? Rubber? Whatever resource it is that you need to build tanks.

And that huge pricetag should end up filtering a % to the countries that own the resources anyway (you have no idea how much smuggling improves the economy as a whole, as opposed to on the local level).

High Lord of Good

You are unique, just like everybody else.
Old November 5, 2001, 23:38   #6
ElitePersian
Prince

Re: Re: solution to strategic resources problem - black market
Quote:
Originally posted by Your.Master

The thing is, I think this should be in, but the prices should be EXHORBITANT. As in a really rich country could keep this up for 3 turns before going broke. This is the sort of thing that could give you a few tanks to take those...oil? Rubber? Whatever resource it is that you need to build tanks.

And that huge pricetag should end up filtering a % to the countries that own the resources anyway (you have no idea how much smuggling improves the economy as a whole, as opposed to on the local level).
exactly.

if you dont have the resource u need, then u dont cant build units to take it over. so u should be able to make the units still but in LIMITED amounds to reflect black markets/using syntethic materials.
I started a thread on this making two suggestions in the Creation forum called "Mod Suggestion for Strategic Resources". check it out

Someone also made a good suggestion where you can research a tehcnology later on called "syntethic rubber", or oil, etc...so that u can produce the units still.
Old November 5, 2001, 23:51   #7
CyberGnu
King

Didn't South Afrika make ethanol powered armored cars? They had a cool name, but I can't remember it...
Old November 6, 2001, 00:53   #8
SITS
King

I like it how it is. By denying other Civ's the resources they've needed I've kicked off two world wars. Which is nice.

Not having the resources makes have to do something. I had to attack a long-term allie to get saltpeter and my reputation is damaged because of it (not as much as their cities )
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old November 6, 2001, 00:59   #9
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 11:09
Actually while smuggling might help the local economy a bit. it tends to be pretty painful for the ruling government. no taxes on smuggled goods. so the city who owns the iron wouldn't get anything if you bought it.

But this does sound like a delicous idea. But I think there should be some caveats.

1.) You have to be able to trade with the civ who has the resource.
2.) They have to have some extra. You can't smuggle it if they're using it all.
3.) Make the price dependent on your civs income. These smugglers are parasites drainign off as much as they think they can get. If you're richer, and more powerful, they charge more cause you'll use more. and the opposite is true.

This would certainly be helpful for those games where the AI is being a real ***** and not trading.