Old November 5, 2001, 22:41   #1
Rommel393
Warlord

Local Time: 10:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Poor Aztecs....
I started this game at warlord level, as the persians, and on a standard random map, with 8 civs. I began on a peninsula which I colonized by the Middle Ages, without incident, except for a small war with England. Now I am in the late industrial age, and am a world power. I am a democracy and earning about 60-100 gold per turn (mostly due to Wall Street). Because of all this money I have built a rather sizeable army for deterrant/self-defense/fun. About this time, America, with whom I have a mutual protection act, is attacked by the Aztecs. Automatically, I, France, and Zululand declare war on the Aztecs (France and Zululand both had mutual protection acts with America). I saw that the Iroqouis (spelling?) were bordering the Aztecs, so I got them to sign a military alliance. At the same time, France got England (most powerful civ) and Babylon to do the same. So that means, all civs are at war with the Aztecs. I send out about half my navy, leaving the other half for self defense, and start bombarding Aztec coastal cities. While this is happening I build a transport and load it with Infantry and Artillery. As the transport is on its way to the Aztecs, I see about 30-40 english ships, along with about 20 ships of other nations sailing to the Aztecs. I have never seen so many ships in civ2 or before in civ3. And this is on Warlord! In the 5 turns it takes my transport to get there three cities are captured. The english have dropped off, easily 50+ units to invade, and constantly more and more transports flow in with troops. The Aztecs, though, are fighting back pretty well, considering they are against the world. My troops are there, and this "world war" is proving to be very fun. Right now, I'm seiging/blockading one of their cities and it should fall soon. I only wanted to share this, because nothing like this ever happened to me in civ2. Even if it happened to anybody else, I'm sure the AI wasn't close to being this coordinated. This game is a big step up
Old November 5, 2001, 22:52   #2
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Conquistadors and the Indian tribes, chapter II
Cool story
Spore page
Old November 6, 2001, 00:17   #3
Rommel393
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vovansim
Conquistadors and the Indian tribes, chapter II
Cool story
Old November 6, 2001, 16:12   #4
Haphazard
Warlord

Local Time: 16:09
Re: Poor Aztecs....
Quote:
Originally posted by Rommel393
I have built a rather sizeable army for deterrant/self-defense/fun.
I wonder if real-life leaders would use the 3rd reason in justify increases in defence spending!

And 50+ Ship invasions! Hell! Going to be very careful not to annoy the AI's in this game...
Old November 6, 2001, 20:21   #5
Rommel393
Warlord

Re: Re: Poor Aztecs....
Quote:
Originally posted by Haphazard
And 50+ Ship invasions! Hell! Going to be very careful not to annoy the AI's in this game...
You just have to pick your fights very carefully, and suck up to civs stronger than you.

Heres a continuation of this game:

The Aztecs are dead. The Iroquois polished them off. I was forced out of the war because my populace was getting quite angry (war weariness). I sold the cities I captured to England, and brought my forces home. A few turns later, my oil AND iron ran out. Pretty much at the same time. Also, I discovered rocketry. Only to find out I have NO ALUMINUM. I also discovered fission, and lo in behold, I HAVE URANIUM (other than the uranium, my only other strategic resource is Horses). Well, in light of my recent lack of important resources, I searched the map for aluminum, iron, and oil. I didn't have to long though, because my neighbor to the south (Babylon), had all THREE, and they were the weakest civ out there, with no mutual protection pacts. So I invaded, and took over 3 cities without much trouble. The Babylonians are now dead, and I have all the strategic resources I need! What fun!
Old November 7, 2001, 07:19   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Kewl

Does anyone else have any uranium?? If not, that could be a good leverage in diplomacy against other civs, or give you some tactical advantage in war

How about posting some screenshots, please
Old November 7, 2001, 08:06   #7
Faboba
King

Local Time: 16:09
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
As far as the AI is concerned Uranium is the most valuable resource in the game......
Old November 7, 2001, 19:35   #8
Rommel393
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Kewl

Does anyone else have any uranium?? If not, that could be a good leverage in diplomacy against other civs, or give you some tactical advantage in war

How about posting some screenshots, please
I wasn't the only civ with uranium but few had it. By the time the game ended, I had a supply of about 8 tactical nuckes and 6 ICBM's. Just having nukes gets you some respect. As I stated just before the game is over. And I won't be able to give you a screenshot of it because I just started a new one and saved over it. Sorry, man. But I could post a screenshot of my new save, and I might have an old save from early in the game this thread is about. I'll try and get them on here
Old November 7, 2001, 21:43   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ill take any screenshots you've got to illustrate your battles
Old November 7, 2001, 23:06   #10
Rommel393
Warlord

Small problem.... Its been a long time since I've made screenshots. I went into civ3, and pressed PRINTSCREEN, and I have been looking for the file for the last 30 minutes. Any help in correcting my mistake/telling me where to find the picture, would be much appreciated.