Old September 28, 2000, 08:54   #1
The Capo
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Creating 8 civ games
Okay, obviously modifying the civ files to fit an eighth civ is possible, but the problem with it is that you would have to edit everything from the map creator files (to add in the new starting points) and the files with the little flags on them to give the new civ a new color, an easy way to change the flags would to either give the new civ red and make the barbs flag Black.

I am gonna look through the files today, but it is going to be pretty tough to create an eighth civ, if anyone has any ideas or wants to help crack this code then go ahead, and also when I do this I am going to put the Incas, Arabs and ____ in the game, so when I finish I can send i to everyone, so what 24th civ should I include????
Old September 28, 2000, 18:14   #2
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 20:40
Local Date: October 30, 2010
CANADA!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
"I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
Administrator of the CornEmpire Forum
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
Old September 29, 2000, 05:20   #3
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
I would vote for the Polynesians.
Quite an OCC in my gigaworld map !

I wish you good luck. I've already posted the following explanation somewhere, but as it right on the subject ...
Good luck for your research of the lost 9th civ. I am afraid that, although there is a brown flag, it will be hard. Civ are 1-7, 0 being the barbarians. So there’s already 8, a perfect binary.
Many researchs have been done to try to play as the barbarians. I discovered (I think) one myself. Unfortunately, they cannot act as a real civ. See this thread for more (discouraging) informations : http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum4/HT...tml?date=19:44
But keep on trying. If you believe the impossible, the uncredible can become true.

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old September 29, 2000, 11:35   #4
The Capo
DiploGames
King

Alright, I have decided personally that when the 8th civ is discovered (and it will be). That the three representing the brown nation will be the Inca (so there is an SA tribe), the Polynesian so there are more Asians, and the Australians to round out each continent, I am heavily considering replacing the Celts as they are worthless. Well as far as I am concerned, and you Irish relax, I am half Irish myself, maybe not my better half but whatever....

Here is my hypothesis as to why an 8th civilization is possible, not only is the game set to accomodate an 8th civilization, but it is just as possible as it is to have seven instead of six, five instead of four and so on, any given computer is not set to say "When some guy plays Sid Meier's civilization, there shall only be seven civs and barbarians, that is all" to believe that this is impossible is ludicrous. Some may say, well the files that you are able to alter cannot change it to eight, or that they tried, well I believe that any talented hacker could easily add in an 8th civ, however I don't wanna do that, I wanna figure this out for myself, so I have dedicated myself to discovering the secret of the eighth civ.

Another idea is that they were planning on putting in an eighth civ, which is why the Arabs and Incans are in the game but unfinished, which would correlate with the brown flag, the only real contradiction to my theory is that the Arab capital would have been Baghdad and that would be too close to Babylon, so this theory could also be wrong.

Me and Ozzy are already working on unlocking the secret of the eighth civ, so if anyone else wants to help please lend us your talents.

------------------
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

-Winston Churchill

One Love.
Old September 30, 2000, 00:09   #5
Allard HS
Prince

Local Time: 02:10
I might be wrong; I have been wrong earlier about saying maps could not get bigger, but as far as I know, this really is impossible.

Your argument that "you can also have only 6 or 5 or 4 civs" is not really valid, as they are specially cancelled out in a byte in the saved game. There is no place left for another civ in that byte, unless you'd add another byte, which is possible, but only if you recode the whole game, and you'll need the source code for that.

I'll make it more concrete: the number of civs is a binary value, I believe at 2F or 2E from the start of the savegame, and its format is like: 1011 0101, meaning civ 0 (barb) is active, 1 is not, 2 is, etc. No space for an eigth civ here.

There are a lot of places like this byte troughout the saved game file, where there is simply no space for another civ.

Of course, I could be wrong, but even if I am, I doubt that the AI will use it correctly, if it will use it anyway.

No, instead of adding another civ, I would propose it's better to look for more interesting and possible things. Like adding more units to the game, or more technologies, increasing maps (as Julius made a great job of), etc.

Good luck anyway!
Old September 30, 2000, 06:34   #6
KhanMan
Prince

Hmmm...I seem to remember discussion about a utility to add a civilization to a game (such as adding a 6th civ to a 5 civ game), so you might try something similar, once a 7 civ game has been started...

It stands to reason this might work, since the huge maps fix was done in a similar way.

Best of Luck!
-KhanMan of Sayen
Old September 30, 2000, 08:42   #7
Allard HS
Prince

Local Time: 02:10
quote:

Hmmm...I seem to remember discussion about a utility to add a civilization to a game (such as adding a 6th civ to a 5 civ game), so you might try something similar, once a 7 civ game has been started...

That program works according to the way I just explained. No way to add more than 8 (incl. barb.) to a hex!! Certainly not with that program, anyway.
Old October 1, 2000, 03:01   #8
KhanMan
Prince

Hmmm...any way to delete the barbarian group, and replace it with an 8th civ, hypothetically?

I don't know this myself, but there must be a way to stretch the code, with so much that has been done that was impossible.

-KhanMan
(who also owns CtP, where 32 civs are fun
Old October 4, 2000, 09:27   #9
The Capo
DiploGames
King

To reiderate what I said/meant to say earlier, I know that civ is not made for eight civs, with the hexing or whatever. BUT, I am not challenging that, obviously the game was created for seven civilizations, I am simply saying that no game is without limits, and any able hacker can easily change such a minor game concept, I mean they have broken into the FBI and screwed with the Stock Market, I would think throwing the Incas and Arabs into Civ2 would be a walk in the park.
Old October 4, 2000, 16:32   #10
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Capo, we need more optimistic guys like you !
But do you know the gifted hacker who is interested by this difficult mission ?
If you find him, please tell hime to change the max number of cities (255) and of units (don't remember it), too.
I have managed to eliminate the gold and the population limits (30'000 and 320'000), but this damn city number is much too elusive and is needed at too many points of the game.
Maybe we'd better join the freeciv team ...
I think you can play up to 32 civs at the same time, or something like that.
But I always remain faithful to civ2.

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe