Old November 6, 2001, 03:20   #1
Barbotte
Settler

Local Time: 16:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
inter AI wars
I have only one bad thing to say about civ3.
I`m really surprised almost no one complained about this before.

The AI dont fight with each other. Or if they do, it`s 1 or 2 times per game. In civ2 there was always a war going on somewhere.
Now i feel like i`m playing sim city.

Unless i start a war myself, the only thing to do is build improvements and units that will never see the battlefield.

I play my games on tiny map with 6 civs and emperor difficulty.
It`s not long before all the land is taken but still no one wants to start a war for territory or ressource. Even the Zulus are more peaceful than the indians in civ2.

I think one of the fun of civ2 was joining in on inter AI wars and it`s certainly gone now.

Another little thing is the AI dont seem to care about their prefered government choici in the editor.

Ok i will stop being negative and say this: great work on the combat AI and unit balancing. So what if sometimes a legion can kill a wounded tank. I can imagine the little swordmen getting in a broken tank and beating up the soldiers with thier swords.
Old November 6, 2001, 05:13   #2
cort
Warlord

Local Time: 18:10
well, i had a similar situation in my games.. if u want some fun try this; bribe any civilization with an advance and make him attack against any other civ..

i did so and within a few turns each war declaration triggered another from a third civ.. now it seems impossible to have a single turn where no battle occurs.
I miss those good old peaceful days..
Old November 6, 2001, 14:52   #3
Barbotte
Settler

Yes, but it`s always me who needs to take action.

I wish wars would start without me being involved and since no one else complains about this, i guess it wont be fixed.
Old November 6, 2001, 15:21   #4
August Borms
Prince

Local Time: 17:10
When I played on chieftain, the AI never started wars with other AI civs, until I invaded another civ and made a few military alliances.

However, in the last regent game I played, the Russians were wiped out before I met them, then the Germans killed off the Persians and allied themselves with the Zulu's, together they fought against English. Then something happened ( I think the Zulu's signed a peace treaty with the English ) and the Germans attacked the Zulu's. During this the English and the Germans started a space race but then I won with a cultural victory

( all this without ever interfering with the other civs, just trading with them )
Old November 6, 2001, 15:26   #5
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

They go to war with each other all the time, they just don't do it randomly like in civ2. And you really don't want the AI to be unable to go 2 turns with out going to war, making peace and breaking the treaty, do you?

In the game I am playing on regent level, large map with 14 civs, the aztecs declared war on the french, and then as it progressed, other civs started making alliances, and taking this opportunity to get rid of their grudges and now the world is in chaos, every civ is at war with atleast 3 other civs, and there are no concrete alliances.
Old November 6, 2001, 18:27   #6
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 10:10
Re: inter AI wars
Quote:
Originally posted by Barbotte
I have only one bad thing to say about civ3.
I`m really surprised almost no one complained about this before.

The AI dont fight with each other. Or if they do, it`s 1 or 2 times per game. In civ2 there was always a war going on somewhere.
Now i feel like i`m playing sim city.
Well in my last game with 12 AI civs there was warfare going on all through out the game. Only me and the Romans didnt fight anyone till the 1700's. There is plenty of AI fighting imo.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old November 6, 2001, 18:28   #7
Shiva
Prince

Re: inter AI wars
Damn double
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.

Last edited by Shiva; November 6, 2001 at 20:34.
Old November 6, 2001, 18:49   #8
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 12:10
In my games the AI's beat each other up all the time. I can usually stay out of it, and get ahead in tech and money. I also like to gift the underdog with resources & luxuries so that they can whittle down dominant powers more easily. This leaves me at the top of the hill.
Old November 6, 2001, 21:35   #9
Altuar
Warlord

Local Time: 11:10
I have experienced wars between AIs themselves and myself quite often - AI goes to war only when it sniffs some gain. Sometimes, instead of outright war, it will ask for "contributions to peace..." This may not sound any different from bribing the AI in civ II, but it works up to a point. Each time you are asked for more, and in the end, war is declared even if you give them what they want.
Old November 6, 2001, 21:46   #10
Craftsman
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:10
For me, one of the most annoying things in Civ2 was seeing an AI civ stopping to attack another AI civ just after *one* city was conquered - the most. The next turn: Happy Peace Treaty.

So, it was worthless to bribe a civ to declare war on another. Paid 20,000 sometimes for almost nothing! :doitnow:

Hope Civ3 is a little better at this point.

Oh, in a final note: the only case that the AI civ kept attacking was when I was the punch-bag...

Last edited by Craftsman; November 6, 2001 at 21:56.
Old November 6, 2001, 22:06   #11
Auslander
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:10
I played a chieftan game - no fighting.

I played a Warlord game - constant AI World Wars.

Try playing something other than Chieftan.
Old November 6, 2001, 23:10   #12
Barbotte
Settler

Well, like i said i`m playing emperor games.
Maybe 6 civs is not enough but it`s hard to put more in a tiny map
Will have to upgrade to small map 10 civs. Anything more than that requires too much micro for me.

In my last game I fought the Zulu for a couple of turns until they entered their golden age. I then sued for peace and they accepted. After that, they had a huge army but they didnt use it to attack anyone.
Old November 6, 2001, 23:19   #13
Dida
Prince

no, there are inter AI wars even on chieftan level.
in my current game, the evil Persians the world is divided up into 2 camps. Me and Zululand on one side, and Perisa, England and Babylon on another. Germany is the only nuetral nation. 2 other nations, Japan and India have been destoryed.
My ally, Zululand was defeated by combined forces of Persia England and Babylon.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old November 6, 2001, 23:33   #14
jadlakha
Warlord

The AI is massively attacking one another in my game. The game is 16 civs on a huge map on cheiftan. In fact one civ, the persians were altogether eliminated by the AI, and this wasnt early in the game, it was about 1000AD. Also the Japanese at one point in the game were the largest Civ with the most cities and the most powerful. Well to sabotage them since they were on the other side of the world, and on a huge map their troops would never reach me, and mine theirs, I just signed military alliances with 3 of the AI. Well those 3 AI got military alliances against the Japanese with practically all 11 of the other Civs give or take one or two. Now the Japanese are close to being eliminated with only 4 or 5 remaining cities. In fact their empire has been cut in half.
Old November 6, 2001, 23:50   #15
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 12:10
I think the harder the level and the more civs there are then the more wars there are, both between you and the ai and inter-ai wars
Old November 7, 2001, 00:02   #16
a2b2c3
Settler

Ok, i just have to make a reply about what's going on in my game. For the first i don't know how long, i had to make bargins to prevent the ai form going to war with me. Eventually everyone on my continent grew quite friendly with each other, others guys on other continent hated us. Now then, these annoying babylonians were the most powerful civ at the time. They had this little island off my coast that had a nice extra supply of iron and a great first and only supply of coal. So i went to war with the babylonians. I landed troops, took over two cities, played too much civ 2 and though i was set. Quickly found out how good this ai is at war. A couple of turns later, english ships along with babylonian set about 6 cavalry on the island, quickly took back both cities.

Well, peace was not made, me and the babs became great rivals. I quickly built a navy and blockaded the ocean between the babs mainland and the island, damn i love ironclads.... so good against wooden ships. Anyways, set over 8 cavalry i think it was... Took over the two cities again, put down the rebellions, suck all the ships they sent over to me. Took another city on the island, only one left.

Ah, i had enough by then i had the coal and iron, and my cities were becoming unhappy so i made peace. But the amazing thing is this. The babs were one of the top civs. i don't remember how many transports i sank but they must have contained all the babs offensive units. The persians and Zulu quickly declared war on the bab and virtually wiped them out. Now i got that other city, and the persians and zulu have wiped out the babalonians. Damn clever ai if you ask me... I did all the work for em! Now i'm stuck with a world at war. Persians and Zulus are at war with someone on my continent regularly. I'm trying to devise away to have war with one and prevent a military alliance to form... I want to win. I spent a long hard time getting ready for this moment. Soon my time will come.... Mwuahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
Old November 7, 2001, 00:29   #17
Barshy
Warlord

That is strange. I'm still on my first game, it's like 1800 AD. I am #1 or #2. Chieftan level.

Civs have been at each other's throats constantly. I think this is like the 10th war.

I actually just got dragged into a war b/c I had a pact with the japanese who were attacked by the Russians...