Old November 6, 2001, 10:01   #1
Zardos
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A nice source of cash
For those of us whom always seem to be cash strapped in our games (not because of our games, well, that too ), a nice recurring stream of revenue that will benefit your civilization are the barbarians. I don't know if you've noticed, but whenever you get attacked by barbarians, there is always a source from whence the barbarians came -- one of those barbarian encampments. These encampments pop up quite often (or at least they did for me when I had the barbarian setting on "Restless") and seem to always be guarded by a warrior conscript (2 hp). Furthermore, these encampments can pop up in an area that is covered by the fog of war. So what do you do? Set up a barbarian encampment culture area. Leave an area (preferably desert) under the fog of war and keep a unit or two nearby. When you notice that the barbarians are attacking again, send in your units to clear the encampment -- 25 gold. Rinse and repeat. The barbarians are never tough enough to take a city (unless you leave it poorly defended, a spearman should suffice in the early times), and they may even increase your defenders military staus (to veteran or elite -- but I'm pretty sure that you'll never become a leader from barbarians). With the extra gold, spend it getting other civs' technology -- I've bought a tech advance for as little as 20 gold, but usually they run between 50 and 75 in the ancient era (if you have good relations with them -- no not that kind of relations ).

Zardos
Old November 6, 2001, 11:35   #2
treedom
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:11
One spearman is well and good until you get a barbarian uprising. I just got one; 16 horsemen came out of nowhere and descended upon one of my outlying towns. It was scary. I felt like a Lindisfarnean monk around 793AD.

They ripped my hoplite to shreads (he did take down about half of them and went up to elite before he died though), and then I thought I was toast. But al they did was march into the undefended town one by one and either took 1 gold each (I didn't have that much in the treasury, else I figure it would have been more) or destroyed the current production.

So their bark was worse than their bite.
Old November 6, 2001, 18:26   #3
HugoHillbilly
Warlord

Local Time: 11:11
Yes, thank the lord barbarians no longer come threatening to raze your villiage unless you dish out half your treasury. Now they just pop in, piddle around and leave, which helps alot. It always pissed me off when I had a def unit on the way to a new town only to have Conan come burn it to the ground.

What do they have against us anyway?
Old November 6, 2001, 20:07   #4
Cre8engr
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:11
Quote:
Originally posted by HugoHillbilly
What do they have against us anyway?
You built your town right on top of their sacred burial ground?