Old November 6, 2001, 12:27   #1
PR_Flack
Settler

Local Time: 11:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Roads, ships, recon, and missiles
I apologize if some of these points have already been addressed, but I wanted to make these suggestions to Firaxis in the hopes that some of them could be addressed in a future patch...

1. Roads in enemy territory -- It makes no sense that your civ's units cannot use roads inside enemy territory. I suppose I can understand how you *might* not be able to use railroads, though even the fact that Russian railroads were of a different gauge didn't stop the Germans from using them in WWII. But to not let us use roads goes against reality and military history. The capture and control of roads and road junctions has been an objective of invading armies for millenia because of their important strategic and tactical value. (Bastogne anyone?) It shouldn't be any different in Civ III.

2. Ships -- Ships should be able to be sunk by aerial bombing and cruise missiles, it's just that simple.

3. Maritime recon -- Is it just me or are you not able to use aircraft to conduct the "recon" missions in water squares? I have problems with the whole "recon" feature already, but it is even less useful if you can't use it to look for enemy ships.

4. Cruise missiles -- The idea of a cruise missile as a quasi-ground unit is odd. They should be air units and should be able to be carried on AEGIS cruisers and nuclear subs (and possibly even battleships, as the U.S. Navy does now.)

I have some other issues with what is, overall, a very good game, but those have been addressed by other posts...

Jack
Old November 6, 2001, 15:22   #2
Jeff George
Settler

Local Time: 11:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I agree with all these points. I hope that some of them will be addressed. I really want to be able to use my military units for what they are good at in the real world.