Old November 6, 2001, 17:43   #1
Frugal_Gourmet
Warlord

Local Time: 11:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Compaining about resources...
I noticed there are about five people a day on this very forum complaining about resource levels in one sense or another.

If you have this problem, please just pull up the editor and increase the base resources levels so we all don't have to read about it anymore. It takes all of about 5 seconds.
Old November 6, 2001, 20:41   #2
Saber_Cherry
Settler

Local Time: 16:13
Sorry, wrong answer!
If there are resources all over, it makes them a non-issue. That's like saying "Oooh, did a tank get beaten by archers? Well then, use the editor, change tank attack to 99, and it won't happen anymore!"

Of course that is true, but it messes up the game. The problem is that the resource and combat systems have issues unrealistic enough to detract from the game. There is practically no oil in Europe except for the North Sea, yet they still make cars and planes there. They import all of their aluminum - and *gasp* some of them get it from the same deposit! The correct solution to resource problems is allowing editor abilities to change the effect of strategic resources. Personally, I want to be able to make the lack of a resource double/triple the cost of something that needs it.

And, of course, the problem with tanks vs. archers is solved by increasing hitpoints - I'm not sure why Firaxis decided to reduce them so drastically; in fact, I thought the primary improvement from Civ1 -> 2 was increasing hitpoints from 1 to (generally) 10. But again, this could change other things like artillery damage, so it is best done with a comprehensive alteration to the core engine, rather than a simple 5-minute hack.

-Saber Cherry
Old November 6, 2001, 22:56   #3
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 11:13
I agree about the hitpoints. I **REALLY** miss firepower.
Old November 6, 2001, 23:17   #4
mrbilll
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:13
One of several options I'd like to see in the game setup would be and "abundance of resources" setting.