Old November 6, 2001, 22:04   #1
teknokrat
Settler

Local Time: 16:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Cool trick for getting money
Here is something I have been using to get some cash. When you take over another civs city culturally trade to another rich civ. Usually it is willing to give you all of its gold for acity. You can then usually take it over again culturally without a problem. Repat.

Old November 6, 2001, 22:28   #2
David Floyd
Emperor

Bah I'd call that a cheat...don't use this trick...
Old November 6, 2001, 22:45   #3
Bakunine
Warlord

Althought i don't consider that cheating i never use that kind of methods.

I prefer to play in a lower level (regent at the moment) and try to deal with the AI as i would with a minimum inteligent human.
Old November 6, 2001, 22:54   #4
Akron
Prince

Local Time: 11:14
I sell back useless cities that I culturally get from other civs right back to that same civ, especially when the cities is surrounded by their (puny) cities.
Old November 6, 2001, 23:47   #5
teknokrat
Settler

Not a cheat at all
I don't think its a cheat and you can probably find historical precedences even. also you can't do thid forever as once a civ next to you captures the city it can keep it forever if it has high culture. I think it a definitely good strategy in the early to middle game.

later
Old November 7, 2001, 05:40   #6
dopplex
Settler

If you want a (very) cheap way of getting money, it's far easier to demand 1000000000 (or so.. Whatever the maximum amount of zeroes is) gold per turn from an inferior civ. For some reason, some bug makes them actually agree to it. One turn later, you've got more cash than you could ever possibly use up.
Using this makes the game REALLY dull though. I restarted after using it, just because everything was now way too easy.
Old November 7, 2001, 09:57   #7
HugoHillbilly
Warlord

What difficulty level are you guys playing your games on? Im playing on Warlord right now but soon plan to up it as im getting better.

My main point is Im having an opposite problem, every Civ I have traded with have been dirt poor, its frustrating when I have a tech Id like to sell and their treasury only has 14 bloody gold, sometimes if im lucky I can get 2-3 gold/turn from them, but only rarely. I usually just give them the tech to increase relations with them, or if they have an extra luxury that they are willing to trade.
Old November 7, 2001, 10:48   #8
kmj
Prince

Unrelated to that tactic:

Toward the end of the my game last night, I was building the UN for the diplomatic victory, when I started selling off all my sciences. Every few turns I'd go to each other civ and ask them for 100-200 gold for a science. Most civs were very happy to take the trade; I was well into the modern age and they were still all industrial. This let me drop my tax rate way down and still gain money. Also, improving relations locked in my diplomatic victory.